Another Finance Thread - Insurance Companies that pay out/don't pay out

gunn

4th Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
95 T-bird with 5.0and m5r2 swap for lemons
Country flag
Insurance companies are only as useful as their willingness to pay out on claims. I know that MadMikey used to be an adjuster and probably everyone has some story or another about companies that are good/not about claims so I thought I might compile a list of three insurance companies I've had to deal with recently and my experiences with them

PET INSURANCE - Pets Best [recommended]
I live in a very HCOL area so after getting a dog last year, my friends all highly recommended that I get pet insurance while she was a puppy. They were totally right.
- I knew up front I should pay for an unlimited coverage (because vets are expensive here in SF), $500 deductible, 90% coverage, and have diagnostics included in the coverage. The last item cost an extra $8-ish a month but even if you bring a dog in with a broken leg, they'll charge you $150 to tell you your dogs leg is broken before charging you the money to actually fix it. This way, the $150 diagnostics charge gets applied to my annual deductible
- In the past year, my dog has had two histiocytomas (benign lump of immune cells found in lots of young dogs -- esp boxers or boxer mixes) removed, a cut foot treated, an eye infection, and a UTI. Silly puppy.
- This company has paid out exactly what they promised (90% of every charge, over the $500 deductible) without any fuss. The only charge they didn't cover was for a heartworm test which personally, i thought was unnecessary b/c she was already on heartworm meds. Petsbest called it a wellness item, and they probably weren't wrong on that call.
- The best part is that they've actually already sent me my renewal and the premium ($51/mo) hasn't gone up for year 2. It will go up as my dog ages but hey, its nice to see they are trying to boil the frog (me) slowly.

TRAVELER'S/MEDICAL INSURANCE - TRAWICK [NOT SO RECOMMENDED]
- I bought this insurance because I was going to go skiing in Japan with the fam and racing in Baja in the same year. Both are not exactly the safest hobbies.
- I know from friends that medical evac insurance is very, very expensive (a friend's mom got kicked in the head by a horse in Bolivia or something liek that. Cost $200k to get her back to the states). Medjet is the gold standard. I figured that i don't need the $500K of coverage since it won't be that much to get a heli from Baja/Baja Sur to San Diego. $50K medical evac and $10K medical coverage was enough and the cost was only $150/yr. As a side benefit, I got $2K or $2.5k of trip cancellation insurance.
- So my kid got sick the day before we were to fly out for Hokkaido so we cancelled our trip. My kid's pediatrician said not to fly so we cancelled everything. Our airline (EVA) let us switch tickets to April w/o much fuss ($250 charge for 3 tickets), but the hotels were more dickish. All in all, I had $800 in claims to make. No big deal I thought.
- I was so wrong. 5 submissions totalling 45 pages of PDFs, 5 months of back and forth, two doctors notes, and one appeal later (they denied me initialyl after 4.5 months), I finally got paid was I was owed. Clearly, they want to make this as much of a PITA as possible that you give up.
- I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH TRAWICK, Nationwide (the underwriter), or Coordinated benefit Plan (CBPconnect.com). This garbage intermediary exists to deny claims.

CELL PHONE PROTECTION - WELLS FARGO Signature Visa benefit administered by [RECOMMENDED]
- I never thought I'd recommend any Wells Fargo product but I kept this credit card solely because they offer cell phone protection. I even forgo the $10/mo per line verizon offers if I put my bill on their credit card. Turns out it works
- 3 years into owning my Pixel 6, and 1 month before the next-gen Pixel 9 gets released, the upper right 25% of my phone stops responding. I dunno why. I even did a factory reset to confirm it was a HW issue. It now came time to test this protection plan
- My previous experience is with the protection I got from VZW directly. In that scenario, a guy from Asurion came out to my office, replaced the cracked screen on my phone for a $30 deductible, and when he ended up disabling the volume buttons, they just swapped phones out for me 2 days later. super exec
- WF's plan is administered by Assurant, a company I've never heard of. The procedure is you need to upload your latest VZW bill and credit card (to confirm that you indeed paid your cell phone bill with your credit card) and get an estimate from a local shop. They won't replace cosmetic damage (only functional) but WILL cover lost/stolen phones (with a police report for the latter).
- This took me tracking down a local shop but I uploaded my documentation and got a claim approval the next day (they claim up to 15 biz days which sucks but the lady i spoke with says that if you provide the rquested info, they are typically pretty quick).
- The payout is less taxes (they don't pay sales tax) and a $25 deductible so my expected cost for the repair is right about $50. Now, the claim amount that got approved for me was different than the repair cost (and not less a fixed number like $25), I called back to ask for an explanation on why the approved amount was an odd number compared to my estimate. They acknowledged a mistake (used the wrong number in the repair estimate) and committed to fix it.
- Now, this process wasn't perfect but i'm 95% sure I'll be paid out what I'm due. If things go tits up though, my out of pocket will be more like $90 which is still fair for the repair.
- In the future, I could switch to Verizon's device protection plan @ $7.95/mo and use the VZW credit card autopay for the $10/line discount but it seems like the deductibles in case of theft migth be higher. Your scenario might be different but if you don't use VZW, the Wells Fargo perk seems pretty useful.

So, these are the three recent niche insurance claims I've made in the last year and my results. Do any of you have some good/bad stories to share about companies to consider/avoid?

Thanks for sharing these details and your experience with these insurance providers.

Other side comments: a friend just had to cancel/postpone his "trip of a lifetime" safari in Africa (pictures, not pelts) because of a medical issue. He needed more cancellation coverage so he went with AMEXs product. Cost was about 7% of the trip expenses (which tracks with what another friend has told me). If you are spending $$$ per person and taking a family where any one persons issue would make you need/want to delay/cancel the trip, it only makes sense to buy coverage.

We'll see if amex pays out. This wasnt the credit card travel protection. I've used that once before and gotten paid -- this is a standalone insurance product so my expectation that they'd pay out is even higher.

I'll fill in my own experience.

Traveler's insurance: TravelSafe (Not recommended)
Air travel in 2020-2021 was subdued due to COVID restrictions and quarantines. The airlines were not ready for the sudden and abrupt resurgence in leisure travel to come in spring/summer of 2022. Flights were in high demand, and flight crews were scarce.
When my wife and I flew to England in June of 2022, the airline (btw - we will never again fly with American!) bumped us from our business class seats on our flight to London and rebooked us in economy the next day. We had to forfeit and rebook our reservation at our London hotel at a higher rate for one less night, and we also had to forfeit our tickets to the attractions we had planned for our first day.
On our flight back, the airline cancelled our flight for the last leg of the trip, wanted us to fly out the next day and wouldn't give us a refund or a place to sleep for the night. We elected to rent a car and make the 8-hour drive home instead. The airline then lost our luggage after refusing to return it to us at the airport.
We tried to claim any of these events with TravelSafe. They refused every claim item. If these events weren't covered, then I have no idea what would be.

I'm not totally put off the idea of trip insurance, but I certainly won't ever consider it buying it from that group again.

I'll fill in my own experience.

Traveler's insurance: TravelSafe (Not recommended)
Air travel in 2020-2021 was subdued due to COVID restrictions and quarantines. The airlines were not ready for the sudden and abrupt resurgence in leisure travel to come in spring/summer of 2022. Flights were in high demand, and flight crews were scarce.
When my wife and I flew to England in June of 2022, the airline (btw - we will never again fly with American!) bumped us from our business class seats on our flight to London and rebooked us in economy the next day. We had to forfeit and rebook our reservation at our London hotel at a higher rate for one less night, and we also had to forfeit our tickets to the attractions we had planned for our first day.
On our flight back, the airline cancelled our flight for the last leg of the trip, wanted us to fly out the next day and wouldn't give us a refund or a place to sleep for the night. We elected to rent a car and make the 8-hour drive home instead. The airline then lost our luggage after refusing to return it to us at the airport.
We tried to claim any of these events with TravelSafe. They refused every claim item. If these events weren't covered, then I have no idea what would be.

I'm not totally put off the idea of trip insurance, but I certainly won't ever consider it buying it from that group again.
As an alternative or supplement, some CC’s offer a level of trip insurance on items that are charged to the card. It’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with those benefits and their terms & conditions.

As an alternative or supplement, some CC’s offer a level of trip insurance on items that are charged to the card. It’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with those benefits and their terms & conditions.
The reason to consider a standalone travel cancellation policy is if you are doing a complicated trip with a bunch of different people. If you are taking a big family trip for grandma and grandpa's 50th anniversary, you might not want to go if any one of these people falls sick (A CC would refund one traveller but not necessarily the whole group). Also, not every expense might be paid for by one individual/credit card. Finally, some activities/reservations require payment in advance via wire transfer so would be uncovered without a trip cancellation policy. FWIW, i'd never cancelled an international trip before until this Feb and what i learned is that while airlines are generally OK (EVA air let me change dates, destinations from Hokkaido to Tokyo, and even add a layover for a reasonable fee - $250 for 3people), hotels are absolute dicks and this is especially true if you are going through a 3rd party like hotels.com. If they have your money, they don't want to give it up.

I checked my notes and the last time I needed to make a travel claim, it was with Citibank in 2019 for a ski weekend where the roads to tahoe were blocked. I was out some prepaid lift tickets and the house rental (about $1100). Citibank paid out without drama since my submittal package included details about the road closures... but they no longer offer this service.

Another credit card benefit that's worth bringing up to help folks 'adult' better is "credit card price protection." Most of my CCs have dropped this feature now (Citibank, BofA) but I remember making a claim once with BoA on a fridge and getting just over $600 back when it went on sale for labor day a month later.

Says Capitol One (not an issuer I've ever used -- i know they are big in the subprime market), Wells Fargo (still not my favorite company, despite the cellphone coverage), and UBS. This article says that Visa/MCs's higher end products (Visa Signature/Infinite and World/WorldElite MC) still have a limited form of this coverage so its worth checking the next time you buy something which may drop in price (TVs/electronics in summer, etc) , you might want to see if one of your existing cards is covered

*Most hotels (especially domestic hotels) have a 24 or 48 hour cancellation policy. I've never had an issue getting a cancellation in, in time and being charged for a no-show. Also, if you have status with the hotel chain - as I do with many of them. They're more willing to work with your changing schedule. Worst case scenario, you get charged for one night's lodging for a no-show. I can't imagine being on the hook for a week or more of lodging. If somewhere requires the full payment in advance I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay.

Having said that, AIRBNB operates like that and their cancellation policies are much stricter but I've never had an issue. As I said earlier always read the T&C for each property.

As a co-worker of mine used to say "Tell me the rules and I'll play the game."

*Most hotels (especially domestic hotels) have a 24 or 48 hour cancellation policy. I've never had an issue getting a cancellation in, in time and being charged for a no-show. Also, if you have status with the hotel chain - as I do with many of them. They're more willing to work with your changing schedule. Worst case scenario, you get charged for one night's lodging for a no-show. I can't imagine being on the hook for a week or more of lodging. If somewhere requires the full payment in advance I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay.

Having said that, AIRBNB operates like that and their cancellation policies are much stricter but I've never had an issue. As I said earlier always read the T&C for each property.

As a co-worker of mine used to say "Tell me the rules and I'll play the game."
That's true in the US and true for places with lots of chains. Not as easy with foreign travel esp to smaller locales.

Even then, chain hotels can mess with you if you book outside of the hotel site. If the price is not significant, it's worth it to book direct whenever possible.

I had my home and both cars under SafeCo. I left farmers cause I broke a ladies taillight and the body shop charged what it would cost to buy a decent used car, it was rediculous. I wrote Farmers saying I could not believe they allowed the body shop to charge that much and left. I just got a new insurance policy with SafeCo and they raised my rates to a rediculous level and I have had not issues since I was with them.

I went back to Farmers cause they had all my paper work and gave me a sweet deal.

On another note, Farmers requires you to put an app on your phone that tracks how you drive and gives you discounts accordingly. Maybe its me, but to me that is an invasion of privacy and much like Big Brother. How can the app tell if you are braking hard or going over the speed limit? What if your kid is playing with your cell phone and throws to the front seat? Seriously? Yeah, 15% is not worth it to have someone monitor my driving. AND.... you have to drive your car at least 10 times a month. Seriously? I work and live at home. I go get groceries, run errands maybe 2-3 times a month. Total BS.

What is this world coming too?

Yeah, looking for another insurance company that grants discounts if you DON'T get in a wreck, you DON'T get a ticket for speeding or in an accident.

Fuck Farmers. I just switched to AAA and saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. 😉

They started messing with me asking for payment in Full for the 6 month policy ( $3000 ) pictures of all my cars, vins, drivers licenses, etc .. if I didn't provide this they would drop me. So I made a call to AAA and it was a good call ($3200 for 12 months).

Canceled my policy with Farmers half way through the policy .. which was funny - the agent called a few days later and left a message asking if we could work something out. My friend in the insurance business explained what happens - the agent gets a premium bonus for every policy renewal, in my case it was probably about $500 .. since I paid in Full, the policy would have paid him when I renewed in January .. when a policy cancels like in my case, they deduct that amount from the agents weekly paycheck. 🤣

The problem with car/homeowners insurance is that experiences are often very state-specific: I'm not sure my experiences with Farmers in TX would be very useful vs my experience with Farmers in CA.

One challenge here in CA is that the state regulatory board has refused to allow them to jack up home insurance rates by the rates they had requested. In response, a lot of the companies have left the state. A large part of this is for homes in wildfire prone areas: the insurer's latest algos are capturing the inherent fire risk of the homes in wooded areas and want to pass this onto consumers. However, some insurers are jacking up rates even for areas which aren't prone to fire as a way to spread the risk/premium burden around.

So far, the state has rejected a lot of this which has led to this insurance crisis. I blows my mind but a friend who just bought a vacation home in the North Bay (Napa/Sonoma counties) decided to leave the building itself uninsured. I didn't even know that was a thing people did...

We use Erie for all things and love them. I used them in both NC and TN through local agents. Have had zero issues outside of some minor glitches when the Fusion was hit earlier this year (they initially filed it against my collision coverage instead of my uninsured motorist coverage).

I use Hagerty for the Thunderbird and have had no issues. The rates are cheap and they don't have mileage limits. I can also run standard non-antique plates (most major carriers require antique plates for their classic/collector policies). They only require that I have a daily driver on a standard policy and that I don't use the Thunderbird for daily driver duties.

I've used Amica in the past with great results, but their rates got too high in Tennessee. They also don't have local agents so you're at the mercy of their call center for everything.

In a previous life, I did internal claims adjusting for a trucking company. Any company that advertises heavily on TV is one that isn't going to pay out. USAA and Progressive are the worst. Geico and State Farm are also bad. All the big names on TV will try to shaft you somehow. Erie and Amica are by far the two best in covering what is owed.

State laws also come into play. Five states plus DC are contributory fault states, which means if you contribute 1% to the cause of the crash, you are barred from recovering claims. NC, MD, PA, AL, DC, and VA are this way. It takes very little for a carrier to claim you were 1% at fault in those states. Some states like GA say if you are 51% at fault, you can only recover 51% of your damages. It's why dashcams are so important.

Quebec is my favorite. They have a government-published list of just about every possible collision scenario that lists who is at fault by percentages and what percentage of their claim is owed to them. They also have standardized payouts for injuries and fatalities paid by the provincial insurance system that all but eliminates the nuclear tort verdicts. Makes life real easy when trying to deal with that.

Wow... in reading all of these reports about various insurance companies, just shows me that corporate greed is everywhere. I had AAA for my travel insurance and was happy with that. But now that I rarely travel anywhere outside of 20 miles, let alone another state, I no longer needed it. I may look into them as well as a few others. I do believe the companies that advertise and advertise heavily have to pay for that VERY expensive advertising some how and you know it is not out of the board or upper managements pockets.