Charge Light

bowez

Vehicle Details
93 SC
Country flag
My Charge light comes on while idling in gear. Have a constant >14v. Issue is regardless of lights on or off just easier to see the light at night; as is starts real dim and brightens a little but a little throttle input makes it go away.

Am I looking at need a new alternator? Prices on them now is ridiculous and local rebuilders are all an hour away from me now.

Usually the battery light coming on means an alternator, but it shouldn’t come on unless it isn’t charging, in which case you wouldn’t have the constant 14v. Where are you measuring that voltage? Also if it still really is charging, check for AC voltage coming out of the alternator (positive lead on alternator post, negative at battery ground, and meter set to AC). If you have more than 0.1V AC, it will still charge, but will kill the battery, and that could also cause the battery light to come on.

Have a Autometer Voltmeter in my A-pillar, can't remember where the leads are landed though.

Looking at the listing the issue I see is the SC uses a different regulator. WVE 1V1108 vs the usual WVE 1V1096. Beside looking different the 108 is listed at 110 A vs 65-75A