Interior wiring harness question...

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
One of my parts car has vanity mirrors on the sunvisors. I have traced the wiring harness on the interior down the B-pillar to the point where it looks like it goes in to the harness for the trunk and tail lights. I know this is wishful thinking but might that harness lead that goes to the dome light and the lighted vanity mirrors just plug in to the interior harness or is it all one piece. I'd like to put the vanity mirrors in the car I'm driving but not if it means I have to swap out the entire interior harness. Anybody know?

It plugs in along the pillar on a white connector, making the roof harness a separate harness. Other than the doors Ford is very generous with using convenient separate harnesses

And that plug at the B-pillar (in close proximity to the driver seat belt retractor) also has an ignition-on and a reverse-on lead for an auto-dimming rearview mirror. At least on '97 it does; I'm guessing other years, too.

It plugs in along the pillar on a white connector, making the roof harness a separate harness. Other than the doors Ford is very generous with using convenient separate harnesses
So does that mean I should expect the connector that the dome light/vanity mirror plugs in to should also exist on the car that didn't come with vanity mirrors?

Yes. They all have the connector. But generally the connector has more wires on the interior harness side than on the roof side, depending on installed features.

I assume the vanity lights and reading lights are one wire at that connector, with a splice somewhere higher up.

I'd have to look it up, but at a minimum that connector should have:
  • ON with doors open
  • Always ON
  • ON with ignition
  • ON with transmission in reverse
I'm not sure if there's a ground. The lights all ground to the roof I think.

And I can't remember if there is any separate lead for the sunroof if equipped, or if that's a separate harness entirely.

...and by the way, this connector is a pain to get to. You have to remove the interior side trim, then remove the seat belt, then a large insulation panel which stretches the full length of the rear armrest, and then you'll find this connector low on the B-pillar.

...and by the way, this connector is a pain to get to. You have to remove the interior side trim, then remove the seat belt, then a large insulation panel which stretches the full length of the rear armrest, and then you'll find this connector low on the B-pillar.
I have all that stuff removed already on the donor, just haven't looked again on the harness since I asked the question. I'm sure I'll find it. I suppose the question is: Do I actually want to go to the trouble again on the working car just to get lighted mirrors. I'll have to chew on that a bit, it's only 97° outside right now and anything metal is way too hot to touch!

I mean that's up to you. Lighted vanity mirrors sounds like something I would only do if they come with double visors.

The auto-dimming mirror is a must-have for me.

I mean that's up to you. Lighted vanity mirrors sounds like something I would only do if they come with double visors.

The auto-dimming mirror is a must-have for me.
I don't have a clue what a double visor is. Also, I don't have an auto-dimming mirror in a Ford flavor. I have them on my Acuras but I really don't think they work very well...