Is this a factory ford ignition shielding?

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
In the process of changing my spark plugs (SC) I am keeping an eye out for possible shorts that could be the cause of my airbag code 51. I've found this (see Pic below).

What was there originally was the regular round plastic wire protector wrapped with electrical tape. Showing through were cracks with shiny foil shielding showing through. After removing the tape on this section, the plastic protector crumbled away revealing some foil shielding, a bare stranded wire underneath the foil that wraps around the two insulated wires (blue and white). The harness on either side of the section I removed seems fairly sound.

Is this a repair or is this a factory shielded portion of the harness. This harness comes out of the same harness the coil is plugged in to. I believe the termination on this end goes to the AC compressor.

If this is the factory ford method, I can easily repair it. If it's somebody else's repair, I'm not sure it's correct.

Any facts or opinions you knowledgable folks would like to share?

Also, I'm not sure if an airbag code 51 refers to a short only in the airbag wiring or any short overall. The only way the "shield" shown in the pic could cause ANY short would be if the bare wire got hot enough to melt in to the insulation on the blue or white wires. Possible? Maybe, but I don't thinks it's all too probable.

Chime in please....

Attachments

• 20240815_113409.jpg
    20240815_113409.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
There is supposed to be bare wire under the foil so it does seem normal to me, but maybe it’s the light but I’ve never seen the bare strands in bare copper color, they’re almost always silver so someone might have made a repair splice

When I replaced my crank sensor harness, I was pretty stunned that the factory setup looked like that. It just seemed messy.

I had periodic crank sensor codes, which on one occasion made the car completely immobile. Once I had replaced the harness, that problem never resurfaced. However, I also replaced the PCM after that, which may have been part of the solution.

I'm not sure if I understand how this harness relates to an airbag code (?). The airbag sensors are on each side of the grille. I think they share the same harness as all the lighting.

You can't easily make a connection to the aluminum foil, so the bare wire makes random connections along the length
It is usually tinned,as that makes a better contact, but ford is cheap. A shield only needs to be grounded on one end. If grounded on both, it can cause problems with ground loops. the O2 sensors,crank,and cam sensor would all be shielded. airbag trigger,idk.
Also, there are two wires, the important ones, to all those sensors,and they are generally twisted together, a twisted pair and shield is one step down from coax cables.

Last edited: