July 2024 - 1MTNCAT

Trunk Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Vehicle Details
'95 Thunderbird with '18 TF 5.3L - SVO Engine
Country flag
Congratulations to Steve D. and the 1MTNCAT. Our July 2024 Car of the month.

1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition.
Street/Strip car. Full original interior and power accessories.

Owned since April 1996, 28 yrs.

Mods: Cowl induction hood, hub swapped, clear corners, manual steering rack, AC delete.

Performance: Built forged Teksid 4.6L 4V (283 CI), Custom TW comp cams, 2001 Cobra Intake, 60 lb Injectors, Kooks headers, PI convertor, J modded trans, custom exhaust.

Estimated 400+ RWHP

Best current ET with the new setup:

11.63 @ 117.92 MPH Naturally Aspirated!
Nitrous times coming late year 2024.

WebBanner_MTNCAT.png

20240608_084316-Edit-small.png

I followed your latest rebuild, I think I bought your old injectors. :) I'm happy to see a build completed, and do what the person wanted! so many go awry! (Goldbird still causes an ache in my heart) Happy to see you So successful!

I followed your latest rebuild, I think I bought your old injectors. :) I'm happy to see a build completed, and do what the person wanted! so many go awry! (Goldbird still causes an ache in my heart) Happy to see you So successful!
The Green 42lb injectors? If so those were mine that I sold to him.

The Green 42lb injectors? If so those were mine that I sold to him.
They were. I refurbed them. They were full of black crap from the fuel system. Our stock stuff was not made for alcohol, and iirc, you're running e85, You should think about replacing the rubber parts in the fuel system with new type stuff. I think all there is is the piece in the tank, and the two lines at the rail. I bet the stuff in the tank is coming apart. The screens in all of them were partially blocked. I'd mention it to Rob next time you see him.

They were. I refurbed them. They were full of black crap from the fuel system. Our stock stuff was not made for alcohol, and iirc, you're running e85, You should think about replacing the rubber parts in the fuel system with new type stuff. I think all there is is the piece in the tank, and the two lines at the rail. I bet the stuff in the tank is coming apart. The screens in all of them were partially blocked. I'd mention it to Rob next time you see him.

Thanks. I'll mention cleaning the injector to him when I see him, he probably won't be to thrilled about dropping the gas tank (and neither am I).

I think It's something to think about; I'm sure it was a bear to tune, with partially clogged injectors. The new ones are catching stuff now; with as much invested as you have, I'd be thinking about it. It's unlikely to cause a sudden fail of fuel flow, but slow degradation could be as bad.

The modern fuel is hard on our systems that were not designed for ethanol. I garuntee that if you took your injectors out there's debris in the filter, and chemtool b-12 would get a blast of black gunk out of them. I cleaned a 24lb set with 158k miles on them, and they were bad too. I put them in the pi swap; If you get the bower going, I still have the set we were talking about above; I won't need them, since I sold you the blower. I'd sell them for the same $ I paid. Cleaning and refurb free, I guess. :)

That is a fun picture!

Thanks. I fixed the white spot on the drivers side mirror, mixed it up with some color grading on my part and some Photoshop AI magic (Generative fill) to get it to the dimensions that I needed.

Here's the original. The Pine tree air freshener is good for at least 20 HP! :LOL:

20240608_084316.jpg

Yes, new fuel cell installed and new fuel lines as well as new injectors to go with the build.

I happy to see your successful refurb! I just broke a rod in Lazarus, after 550k miles. Now to refurb and do it again. :)

I happy to see your successful refurb! I just broke a rod in Lazarus, after 550k miles. Now to refurb and do it again. :)
If you do it, do it right. Sorry to hear about the rod.

I have a teksid engine in the garage. I've got to get a crank; my old cranks rusted while I was down with a stroke. I've either got to have one turned, or buy a forged one. But the 1200 for a forged crank is a bit much for me now, lol.

I have a teksid engine in the garage. I've got to get a crank; my old cranks rusted while I was down with a stroke. I've either got to have one turned, or buy a forged one. But the 1200 for a forged crank is a bit much for me now, lol.
Get one turned and roll. You are good to about 800 whp.