Mustang heads PI?

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
Just found a 01 Mustang with a 2V 4.6. Are these PI heads and will they work in our cars? It goes without saying that the pics are 2 different cars...

Attachments

• 20240704_105629.jpg
    20240704_105629.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240704_105352.jpg
    20240704_105352.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The PI has the teardrop on the port, I'd do a set of seals on a jy head before I put it in. The manifold on the left looks like a 95, n/PI. All the pi manifolds I've seen are plastic.

Heads on the right ARE PI heads. Setup on the left is a v6. You can use PI heads, but you need the PI intake and the water tube that is in the valley too. There are other things to consider, but many people have done the swap successfully.

Those are PI but they are Windsor PI since the valve covers have the extra bolt count. They’ll work on a Romeo 4.6 but you need to use those valve covers with the passenger side oil fill

I have no idea how the V6 pic got in there, i must have uploaded the wrong Pic. It was very sunny at the junkyard.

I actually thought my 4.6 was a Windsor. Don't really know how to tell the difference. The Mustang said 2001 on it but I guess the engine could have been changed. I can get the whole engine for 287 vs just the heads for 231. (PULL A PART).

Just as an aside, my dad managed a portable concrete batch plant and poured all the concrete for the Romeo tractor plant which was converted to an engine plant after Ford sold their tractor business. I was on the site for hours in the pickup with my dad...circa 1976...

The hardest part of the swap for me, was removing the hose nipple at the water pump. I bought a kit from Nick, and it included the new type nipple. The old one came out in 3 pieces, lol. When I did Lazarus, I hit it with a hammer, and it popped right out.

I belive the way you find out if it's a Romeo engine from the factory is to 10th digit in the Vin will be a "R"... And just above the exhaust manifold it will be stamped rf1l2e followed by more numbers

Should look something like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240711-071629_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240711-071629_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Call me dense if you wish, after this discussion above I still have no idea if these heads will work. Looking for a direct swap. If there is a better PI candidate for my 97 Bird, please suggest. I know I've had this conversation herebefore but I never have good results with the search engine here...

Call me dense if you wish, after this discussion above I still have no idea if these heads will work. Looking for a direct swap. If there is a better PI candidate for my 97 Bird, please suggest. I know I've had this conversation herebefore but I never have good results with the search engine here...
They will work, You need to use the valve covers from that car though.

You can use the heads, but you need the PI intake too. People like the Explorer motors because the blocks are aluminum. Otherwise it's the same. Unless you are looking for the Romeo heads that have different valve cover bolt holes.

The engine descriptor is still M which is 2V, A mark or cobra is a v. You can tell pi by port shape, Romeo or windsor is the valve covers. There are internal differences. Windsors are in trucks, Romeos are in cars. Gran Marquis or crown vic.