Shipping a transmission?

FordMan77

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
95 LX
Country flag
Anyone here have any experience in shipping your transmission to another state and then having it sent back? Any carriers recommended? Need to get my 4t65E out to Arizona for a proper rebuild.

You'd need to shrinkwrap it to a pallet and send it through an LTL carrier. I have connections with Saia in your area and they are who I would recommend. I can get you a contact if you'd like.

That would be great. Please PM me the info. I could at least get a quote so I know what I'm looking at for a round trip.

Yeah, I'll scrounge up a good solid pallet, drain everything so it's not bleeding out in the truck and make sure it's nice and snug.

In case anyone was wondering... LtL - Less than a Truckload shipping. I have had a engine and two transmissions shipped to me and have been satisfied both times. Plastic rap once secured to a pallet and plug all orifices (plastic plugs). I do not recall, but I think the engine was strapped down to the pallet using straps and bolts, but it was a while ago.

This is where keeping the secret toy out of the pan comes in handy; it will go in from the outside too. Keeps from leaking fluid everywhere.

This is where keeping the secret toy out of the pan comes in handy; it will go in from the outside too. Keeps from leaking fluid everywhere.
...I am not a fan of messes.

I had my TR-3650 sent to me via FedEx as a "bulk" item. The guy I bought it from just put it in a big box inside a bag, and then the transmission was padded up with expanding foam.

I had my TR-3650 sent to me via FedEx as a "bulk" item. The guy I bought it from just put it in a big box inside a bag, and then the transmission was padded up with expanding foam.

One piece? The bellhousing is the biggest dimensional problem IME, I bought one for spares last year super cheap(price and shipping) on feebay last year but it came with a cut down bellhousing to fit into to the box.

Same here with my T45. The seller wrapped it very heavily in bubble wrap, then put it in 2-3 large boxes securely taped together. It showed up undamaged from UPS in about a week.

This was in 2018 and I paid $800 total for it including shipping. These days it would probably be at least $800 just in shipping.... :facepalm:

One piece? The bellhousing is the biggest dimensional problem IME, I bought one for spares last year super cheap(price and shipping) on feebay last year but it came with a cut down bellhousing to fit into to the box.

Yep. All as one piece.

I still have it in the box. In the corner of my garage. In that same box....

:(:cautious: