What are the most sought-after parts?

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
I currently have two 95-96 Tbirds on my property that I'm using for parts. One V6, the other a V8. One has a sunroof. I won't be using all of the parts . Excluding body panels, Outside window trim and instrument cluster bezels, I'm not sure what other parts folks who own these fabulous cars might be looking for.

I mean things like front and rear seatbelt roll-up assemblies, dome lights, console and lid, right-side radio trim, glove boxes, etc.... are these things folks are looking for or is it just one of those things that you never know somebody might need? I really don't have the space to pull everything that's still good out of the interior but I had to have to take them to the recycler with good parts still in them.

I thought I had a near-mint rear seat in gray fabric and then I discovered one round cigarette burn on the drivers side near the back. The front seat covers for this car are also very good.

One of my cars has a brown-ish looking interior...somewhat like raw sienna. Maybe the factory color is called "light saddle tan"? My T-bird has an interior that closely resembles coffee with cream, more of a light brown. The car I'm talking about has much more of a yellow tint. In any case, the dash and all is black like most (all?) of them and much of the other interior pieces aren't in great shape.

Just wondering what y'all might think I aught to keep?

Excellent question! I wonder about that when I go to junkyards, too. Here are a few things off the top of my head:
  • The trunk lights, if all the LEDs are still functional
  • The '97 cupholder, which you may find in pre-'97 cars if the previous owner installed one
  • Seat fabric in good condition, especially driver seat; these can very easily be removed and washed with laundry detergent; I would put them up for sale if only I found good ones
  • If you have the space, I'd keep the glass if it's factory original
  • Clean factory floor mats
  • Header panel, but it's a pain to ship
  • Anything that was decontented in '97 and owners may wish to retrofit, such as glovebox damper, door courtesy light harness, C-pillar lamps,...
  • Factory spoiler if all LEDs work
  • Power antenna incl. control unit
  • Factory CD radio
  • Good door weather seals
  • Shift knobs
  • Armrests if not warped

One of mine has a remote antenna. Where is the control box located? Also, the header panel. What exactly is that? Is that the plastic thingy in front of the core support? I suppose I could keep the glass. I'm going to use one windshield and one backlight for myself.

The antenna control unit on the later years is right below the airbag control box, right of the glovebox. A bit smaller than a box of cigarettes.

The header panel is that heavy black plastic structure that the headlights are attached to.

I guess from my perspective it’s a sort of two sided question, maintenance(parts to replace damaged items) or upgrades. For the latter I don’t find much outside of the 97 console top that desirable in LXs. SCs on the other hand have better seats with pneumatic bolsters, handbrake center consoles, 140mph speedometers, etc. I always picked every SC I came across pretty clean when I could still find them at junkyards.

Maintenance stuff I’d say the stuff that is most frequently broken or missing. The seat side switch plates, the seat track trim, armrest(specifically its button), cluster/radio bezels and all four vents.

I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d need to be seeking out something like the dome light(which is shared with almost every other Ford of a given year). I mean I’ve seen utterly trashed interiors in these cars because people are remarkably clumsy disgusting creatures, but there’s a point where if the entire center console is destroyed, I’m betting it needs literally everything else in the interior replaced or repaired to some degree down to the dashboard. Usually cars like that aren’t worth fixing anyway, and even if I had the parts they needed I’d encourage them to get a better car to start with rather than spending good money(even if it’s going to me) on a bad one. Or buy a whole rusty parts car with a good interior.

Personally I will not use any vinyl, leather, fabric or foam backed interior part that came from a smoker car, no matter the cosmetic condition(which is always clearly nicotine stained compared to a truly mint part). Those belong in a dumpster

I have a 95 LX 4.6 with ABS, Traction control, and 4 wheel disk brakes. My gray drivers seat cloth could use replacement. There is a market for original brake line tubing if in excellent condition. ABS wheel sensors are hard or impossible to find. Same with ABS modules with good pumps just behind the left front inner fender. The heat / AC fan control module behind the glove box might fetch a decent price. Same with the brackets that are in front of the rear subframe that hold it in place if rust free. Speedometers with good odometer gears. multifunction switch. I've seen some crazy prices on eBay for the base factory AM/FM cassette radio for the 95. Recently there was someone looking for the plastic air intake (the called it a violin case) for the 95 4.6 v8. Good working fuel pumps might be of interest to many.

I have a 95 LX 4.6 with ABS, Traction control, and 4 wheel disk brakes. My gray drivers seat cloth could use replacement. There is a market for original brake line tubing if in excellent condition. ABS wheel sensors are hard or impossible to find. Same with ABS modules with good pumps just behind the left front inner fender. The heat / AC fan control module behind the glove box might fetch a decent price. Same with the brackets that are in front of the rear subframe that hold it in place if rust free. Speedometers with good odometer gears. multifunction switch. I've seen some crazy prices on eBay for the base factory AM/FM cassette radio for the 95. Recently there was someone looking for the plastic air intake (the called it a violin case) for the 95 4.6 v8. Good working fuel pumps might be of interest to many.
For future reference, Taurus/sable auto climate control PWMs up to their final years 2006(in their og midsize platform that is) are a plug and play fit in place of ours in connector, mounting and physical shape and they seem more reliable. I’ve been using one since 2022 when my stock one was clonking out

Attachments

• IMG_3349.jpeg
    IMG_3349.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks for the useful posts y'all. So you can't find ABS sensors for cars with ABS anymore? Seems like that would certainly be produced in the aftermarket? As far as fuel pumps, are you talking the ones in the fuel tank? I've bought three brand new ones in the last two years. Is there anything special about the OEM? Also, I'm not looking to make a fortune on parts, I think I'd just rather help others getting birds and cats back on the road. Of course I'll sell them, but not for ridiculous prices. BTW, I think I have a 95 OEM cassette radio. I know I have one from a 96. Aren't they the same?