92 5.0 tachometer wiring

JacobM03

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0
Country flag
I am wiring my setup for a holley sniper efi and I would need to know where do I tap in for my tachometer gauge? I have removed the stock ecu, would there be a connector which I could just feed the new tach input into or do I have to wire it up to behind the gauges?

Would anyone know if the wiring to the tach on the dash is a white/pink wire coming from the black connector? I followed the stock ignition coil wiring and off of it comes off 2 yellow wires and a red/green wire, 1 yellow wire that goes and turns into a white wire with pink stripe and goes to that black connector and the other one goes to a rectangular harness connector (which I forgot where it goes)

Attachments

• 7332C979-504A-4E29-8839-2ADE27E2C7DF.jpeg
    7332C979-504A-4E29-8839-2ADE27E2C7DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • ABC884B8-2F79-4B25-AFEC-B5E5004E4460.jpeg
    ABC884B8-2F79-4B25-AFEC-B5E5004E4460.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • D36876D3-1616-43BC-93FE-D4468D2262E5.jpeg
    D36876D3-1616-43BC-93FE-D4468D2262E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
I didn't find anything on colors, but if it were me, I'd crank it over with a jumper hooked up to a cheap tach u have laying around.

I didn't find anything on colors, but if it were me, I'd crank it over with a jumper hooked up to a cheap tach u have laying around.
Would I be able to just send power with a battery to that white/pink wire and see if the tach jumps without cranking the engine? As im just trying to see what wire goes to the dash, I already have my ignition setup and wire for tach with the sniper efi I just need to know what wire actually goes to the tach as its unhooked right now.

I'm not sure, but thinking it needs to be a pulse to "count" rpms.

Does that same wire go all the way to the original coil? I think that's where the signal is from. I guess what I'm asking is of you so have that part of the harness intact?

I'm not sure, but thinking it needs to be a pulse to "count" rpms.

Does that same wire go all the way to the original coil? I think that's where the signal is from. I guess what I'm asking is of you so have that part of the harness intact?
Yes like I wrote earlier, theres 2 yellows coming from the connector that plugs on the coil, and 1 red/green. One yellow turns to white/pink and goes to the black connector by the stock ecu and the other goes to that rectangular harness connector (which I don’t remember where it plugs in) and the red/green seems to be a power wire as it goes and mates with other red wires. So im thinking that white/pink goes all the way to the dash as it comes inside the cab but I just wanted to make sure before I wire it up.

Yes like I wrote earlier, theres 2 yellows coming from the connector that plugs on the coil, and 1 red/green. One yellow turns to white/pink and goes to the black connector by the stock ecu and the other goes to that rectangular harness connector (which I don’t remember where it plugs in) and the red/green seems to be a power wire as it goes and mates with other red wires. So im thinking that white/pink goes all the way to the dash as it comes inside the cab but I just wanted to make sure before I wire it up.
I am not using the stock engine harness though I just looked over at it and thats what I found coming from the ignition coil, I still have the in cab harnesses though which im using for a few functions and was wondering which one of the connectors/wires to tap my new tach signal into as I im not fully sure where the previous tach wire lead up to.

This is one of the reasons I bought a quarter horse. I'm capable of getting it going, but afraid getting there would be a major pain

This is one of the reasons I bought a quarter horse. I'm capable of getting it going, but afraid getting there would be a major pain
Yes, I would just need to find the right wiring diagram but it seems hard to find for these, ill look for a wiring book eventually, I might just start it with my tach input wire plugged in the white/pink to see if it works, I can’t see it having too many options as it is one of the wires that would go to the coil.

Yes, I would just need to find the right wiring diagram but it seems hard to find for these, ill look for a wiring book eventually, I might just start it with my tach input wire plugged in the white/pink to see if it works, I can’t see it having too many options as it is one of the wires that would go to the coil.
That's my thought. Even just cranking with no fuel should get you the input you need.