97 Tbird Gas Cap and 97-98 Mark VIII Wiper Arms

Stanley

3rd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
Country flag
As the title says, looking for originals of these if anyone has them lying about (I gather the Mark VIII arms fit on the 97 Thunderbird without issue; if you know otherwise, let me know).

The cap could be any from 1994-97: they're apparently all the same. The original code was F4DZ-9030-A.

I'll need them shipped to Canada, but of course would pay the usual stupid higher shipping associated with such. Cheers.

Last edited:
I gather the Mark VIII arms fit on the 97 Thunderbird without issue

I haven't tried it myself, but that seems to be the general consensus, with people preferring the Mark arms because of the J-type hook. The examples I see in junkyards are usually very corroded, so I never pick them up.

I wish I still had my gas cap. I think I threw it out when I bought a lockable one.

Yeah, I looked at my local autoparts store the other day and the number of blade options for that type of arm were far higher than what was available for the pin style on the Bird.

I've had trouble with the J-hook style flying off due to the lock not locking. nothing like going down the road wipers running an had the whole blade fling out in the road and the arm whack the windshield and not being able to see squat. thankfully it was just a misting rain. Then I've had trouble getting pin out of the old juck blade too.

The J hook Mark VIII arms work well but they have a slightly different angle to them because the Mark wipers sit lower. I believe I had to remove an alignment key from the splines to get them to fit right, simple process.

You can also use wiper arms off a 97-98 Mark. They switched to J hook, it looks cleaner than the flimsy pin connection. 24" and 20" seem to fit best with them

View attachment 654

Also FWIW, IME the springs on the 97-98 arms that hold the wipers against the windshield seem to be flimsy compared to the MN12 style arms.

Without replacing the springs (or bending the arms to put more force on the window) I've had 3/4 arms that I've tried be so weak that the wipers float over the window at 50+ MPH and not clean them on both sweeps.

Also FWIW, IME the springs on the 97-98 arms that hold the wipers against the windshield seem to be flimsy compared to the MN12 style arms.

Without replacing the springs (or bending the arms to put more force on the window) I've had 3/4 arms that I've tried be so weak that the wipers float over the window at 50+ MPH and not clean them on both sweeps.
I have had this problem. Both 97 Mark VIII’s that I’ve had had weak drivers side wiper arm pressure.