Adhesive For Cloth Inserts On 94-97 Door Panels

281_Tbird

Member Since 2002
Vehicle Details
97 Thunderbird T45 Swap
Country flag
Hey guys, the fabric is coming loose on the cloth insert on the drivers door panel of my 97. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any advice on what kind of adhesive to use to repair it? I’m worried about staining the fabric if I use the wrong thing! Pic for reference. Thanks all.IMG_1874.jpeg

I just used the 3M medium strength spray adhesive in a red and blue can. It worked reasonably well, but occasionally I can see it lifting in a few areas and have to push it back into place. Perhaps a stronger hold (or a better application on my part) would do better. I didn't notice any alterations to the fabric color or texture.

I used Roberts double-sided carpet tape for all my faux suede projects.

I never attempted to reuse the original cloth. I imagine you'd have to make sure all the old adhesive (which essentially turns into dust over the years) is completely removed so that the tape sticks.

If you look into the Interior section on here, I have various posts about interior mods, incl. a detailed how-to for replacing the original cloth. It may seem over the top for what you're trying to accomplish though.

Thanks guys! This has given me some good ideas. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I have used E6000 for cloth, but you will need to spread it with a putty knife to get an even bead of glue and so its no so thick.

Those panels are hotmelted on, and there's a plastic piece the headliner type stuff is glued to, hotmelted to the panel. I used hot water to make the hotmelt let go, and peeled that off. I used it as a template to cut new ones. I glued the new ones on with rubber cement.

I just did a fabric replacement on my headliner. Midwest Fabrics sells a high-temp headliner adhesive. I've read things that say 3M 77 will let go after a while. I have no experience with this nor can I tell you the Midwest Fabrics hi-temp won't let go either, but I used it. It wasn't cheap and shipping was outrageous (but I had fabric shipped also). The adhesive was easy to work with.

I’ve used 77, 90 and headliner adhesive, the latter is the only one that I’ve been happy with for the door fabric.

Well i spoke too soon. My panels are coming loose with 77. Of course, because i said it lmao. I'll look into headliner adhesive hahaha

Well i spoke too soon. My panels are coming loose with 77. Of course, because i said it lmao. I'll look into headliner adhesive hahaha

That’s really quick! For me the supers lasted about 6 months at least.

Trick with all these spray adhesives is to treat them as a spray on contact cement; eg spray both surfaces with it and let it tack up for a few minutes before joining them together. With the door panels I go even further and remove them completely from the car and lay on a bench and put some weight over the inserts as well. I’m not sure that’s necessary but it’s just been part of my most recent success at joining them

That’s really quick! For me the supers lasted about 6 months at least.

Trick with all these spray adhesives is to treat them as a spray on contact cement; eg spray both surfaces with it and let it tack up for a few minutes before joining them together. With the door panels I go even further and remove them completely from the car and lay on a bench and put some weight over the inserts as well. I’m not sure that’s necessary but it’s just been part of my most recent success at joining them

Full disclosure- this was in my S197, my cowl drain was clogged pumped 1/2 gallon of water out of my cowl. So the hvac was pumping moist air into the cabin. Now both doors have loose cloth or pleather or whatever it is. I unclogged the drain, removed pass seat under rugs wet, floor also wet. Letting everything dry out real good. Ordered new cowl grille retainers they are expensive! And will replace cabin air filter. Once all of that stuff is all dried out, i'll try to glue the fabric back.
So i glued stuff in without realizing what was causing the issue in the first place. I feel kinda dumb, but glad i found the issue.

I did follow the directions on the can, but i think it never had a chance due to the moisture.

This was the best insert material I found. If you look on 'zon, you can find it cheap.

I did this in my Mustang last week, used 3m super 77 and worked good

77 will let go; you'll find a sticky mess laying in the seat, at the end of a hot day going home. The sdhesive I got from midwest stuck to a headliner in 100 degree weather, with the windows up.