Brake caliper question

Wile E. Coyote

4th Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1996 Tbird LX, SVO blown 4.6 // 1990 Tbird SC Drift missile, OHV 5.0
Country flag
Here's a dumb question: do our cars and the Taurus share rear brake calipers?

Mustang drift guys are always talking about the topic of swapping to them. I always thought our cars shared them because how the pads look the same.

I remember @racecougar talking about this, the caliper is different I think they have a bigger piston or pad possibly. Keep in mind though the effectiveness of it as an "upgrade" will be negligible, just as it is switching to larger Cobra rotors. Mustangs have non ventilated rear discs, and smaller calipers so the stock MN12 rear brakes would be an upgrade for them too

Are there better front calipers for the sport brakes that are a direct bolt on?

I wish Michigan had a Ford Racing license plate.

I didn’t think Ford used “Ford Racing” anymore. Seemed like it changed to “Ford Performance” about 10 years ago.
They should have stuck with Motorsport

Are there better front calipers for the sport brakes that are a direct bolt on?
Yes PBRs and the standard 10.8 rotors bolt right on :biggrin: Gotta get passed the larger Sport rotor diameter thing and instead treat the downgrade like a premium sound bypass. Yes one good part is no longer there but like the internal amp of an aftermarket headunit being way better than the separate premium sound amplifier, the PBR calipers make the standard 10.8 brakes way stronger than the larger diameter sport brakes.

They should have stuck with Motorsport

Yes PBRs and the standard 10.8 rotors bolt right on :biggrin: Gotta get passed the larger Sport rotor diameter thing and instead treat the downgrade like a premium sound bypass. Yes one good part is no longer there but like the internal amp of an aftermarket headunit being way better than the separate premium sound amplifier, the PBR calipers make the standard 10.8 brakes way stronger than the larger diameter sport brakes.
So I would need the smaller rotors and pbr calipers and new brackets and banjo bolts if I remember correctly? What year mustang do the calipers come from?
I don't want to search the other place...

I found the answer on a brake thread here that it is the 99-04 mustang calipers, but no info on the brackets and banjo bolts

Last edited:
99-04 GT or V6 Mustangs. The brackets often come with the calipers, banjo bolts vary between coarse and fine depending on the year caliper you end up with, coarse ones you can actually reuse your stock ones.

Beyond that the portion of the caliper that comes closest to the spindle should be ground a tad for clearance and the passenger side banjo block needs a little grinding as well for clearance(or use stainless lines instead)

Can't he do the 13" and Cobra PBRs for not much more cost? Only downside there is the need for 17" wheels, if U don't already have them

Can't he do the 13" and Cobra PBRs for not much more cost? Only downside there is the need for 17" wheels, if U don't already have them
Need custom drilled rotors or a hub swap

Or elongate the holes slightly. They're hubcentric, so no worries about imperfect grinding. A Dremel with a grinder and half an hour is all you need. :)

Any brand dual piston caliper for a 99 -04 would be fine, correct? There are a bunch on rockauto but no pbr brand.

I've bought two sets of the red powdercoated powerstop pbrs; if you buy the 04 calipers, the banjo bolts swap. stainless brake lines are an awesome feel upgrade too. Use stock replacement lines if not using ss, the orig ones are getting spongy by now, and it does good to replace all the brake fluid.

Fun Fact: My buddy, Habbe, that bought the tbird, set up the machines that machined the pbr calipers in Knoxville. When we replaced the pads on it, about a year after he bought it, and he was like "they didn't look like that when we made them". PBR didn't do powdercoating, lol.

I found the slotted rotors suck on a long slowdown, like getting off the interstate. You feel each one, and it feels like rumble strips. Drilled only doesn't do that. I know if you're hubswapped, you can use the ventilated cobra disk in the rear, with relocation brackets, but for the front, which disks do you use for the mustang pattern? the 04's, to match the pbrs?