Car Ramps

White Lincoln

Veteran Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7, 3.8L, all stock
Country flag
Any one have a good idea how to keep car ramps still on a smooth garage floor when you drive the car up on the ramp?

These ramps are the metal ones.

Mine are plastic.

Using them inside the garage requires use of a rubber mat to hold them in place.

I actually use what was intended to be a bathroom rug, which has a rubber backing.

Not sure if this would work with metal ramps. The plastic ones have much more surface area to stand on.

It works. The set I had with just a single formed piece of steel, I added a bit of rtv to the bottom edge. It keeps them from moving. But a rubber floormat works great too.

Rubber floor mat or bolt a scrap piece of a 2x4 to the floor. Dealer's choice.

I did the latter at our old house and used it as a parking stop. That option also keeps it from launching out if you back off it too aggressively.

Mine are plastic, but they still slip, I cut 2 pieces of plywood a few inches wider than the ramps, and about a foot longer.
I screwed a 2x2 across the end of each one, and place the ramps up against the 2x2.
This leaves 10 inches or so that sticks out underneath the ramps sloped end, so when you approach the ramps, the weight of the car is holding the plywood down, and the ramps are pressed against the 2x2, they cannot slide out on you.
I usually drive up onto the wood, then check to make sure they are still pointed straight before driving up the slope.

Mine are plastic, but they still slip, I cut 2 pieces of plywood a few inches wider than the ramps, and about a foot longer.
I screwed a 2x2 across the end of each one, and place the ramps up against the 2x2.
This leaves 10 inches or so that sticks out underneath the ramps sloped end, so when you approach the ramps, the weight of the car is holding the plywood down, and the ramps are pressed against the 2x2, they cannot slide out on you.
I usually drive up onto the wood, then check to make sure they are still pointed straight before driving up the slope.
This is similar to what I have. 1/2" plywood about 15" longer than the ramps, with a 2x4 screwed on the end to keep the ramp from sliding.

I did that once too. Got angry when I couldn't stack them again.

The plywood isn't attached to the ramps, they just sit on it. I just lean the wood against the wall next to the ramps when not in use.

Nice. That's a great setup.

Well, I was thinking of putting a couple of concrete bolts in the floor and cap the concrete fastner when not in use. This would hold the ramps. Any thing purminent and I will be tripping over it.
And yes, I have driven my car over the ramps, once was all it took.
I really like the idea of something the wheel sits on before the ramp to hold the ramp. I have garage flooring I need to use for something and thought of using that to put the wramp on.
And I saw that plastic/rubber ramps and thought those would be great. But what do I do with my 40 year old ramps? LOL
Lots of great ideas here!
Just an awesome site.