Cleaning the throttle body and upper intake

White Lincoln

6th Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7, 3.8L, all stock
Country flag
Hey again,
I have been wanting to clean out the throttle body and upper intake after seeing all the varnish build up from the PVC / exhaust gas return. I have seen ways on the internet to use Seafoam, Soylent Green... er, Simple Green or Purple Power to wash the throttle body and upper intake with something as simple as a 2 foot long 2" wide or bigger, bottle brush. Or, same as a dryer brush. I suspect compressed air would be called for when done to ensure the removal of any moisture in the TB or intake.

I would be removing the TB and upper intake to clean.

Has anyone done this and what did you use to clean it and what results did you get?

Thanks!

Think .. fuel injector cleaning contraption, on a bigger scale. 😉

Following this thread.

I'm curious, are you also replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets? That's on my long-term to-do list due to a very small recurring coolant leak. The leak is so slow that it's pretty low priority for me, but once I get in there I want to do everything all at once.

I'd like to go through whatever list of stuff that requires intake removal. Gaskets, injectors, etc.

Judging from your posts, it seems like you're going through a full top-of-engine program (?).

Following this thread.

I'm curious, are you also replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets? That's on my long-term to-do list due to a very small recurring coolant leak. The leak is so slow that it's pretty low priority for me, but once I get in there I want to do everything all at once.

I'd like to go through whatever list of stuff that requires intake removal. Gaskets, injectors, etc.

Judging from your posts, it seems like you're going through a full top-of-engine program (?).
I already did that a while back I am just looking to clean the varnish in the upper intake and TB. If you are doing the heads, which if they have never been done, check if there was a recall on your year. My 94 had a recall to have the head gaskets replaced by the dealer. That was while the car was under warranty still. But do your research on what types of gaskets to use (I am a long time Fel-Pro addict), research if you need to replace the head bolts (depends on the type), how to seal the corners of the lower intake, list out the rods so they go back in the block / heads the same way, etc, etc. You could probably get some write ups from the guys on here that will help. I have done my heads twice and the dealer did them once. One thing to be sure of when doing the heads, make sure your radiator is working 100%. A half-arse radiator (due to age, location conditions) will ruin new heads pretty easy. Good luck!

I used throttle body cleaner,lol. Take it off, spray out out until clean. On a 4.6, disconnect the egr tube carefully, they went out of production last millennium. There may be oil in the intake of a 4.6. I've poured a bunch out of Lazarus, when I went to the pi intake.
Be sure to get the back of the butterfly.

I used throttle body cleaner,lol. Take it off, spray out out until clean. On a 4.6, disconnect the egr tube carefully, they went out of production last millennium. There may be oil in the intake of a 4.6. I've poured a bunch out of Lazarus, when I went to the pi intake.
Be sure to get the back of the butterfly.
Thank you Grog.

I remembered I needed to follow up on this:

When I had the upper intake off, I took off the throttle body and EGR valve and took a look inside again. It was covered in a varnish like substance and was shiny. I bought one of those 30" Long, 3" wide Dryer Lint Brushes. I used a small wire brush with brake cleaner first to break loose the varnish. Then I washed the insides with the brush and Dawn grease cutter and a garden hose with a nozzle under pressure to flush out the crap. The inside looked dry and no shine was left. I also cleaned out the EGR intake hole with a bottle bristle brush.

1725216652011.png 1725216713260.png

I also cleaned the EGR valve somewhat, thought it really did not need it. I am hoping to NOT see that build up again since I seemed to be getting the car more in tune, bit by bit.

The process is pretty easy, but a word to the wise, wear you best shirt when using the 3" bottle brush. The thing sprays black muck everywhere when scrubbing the intake. Best to do this outside.

Thank you all for your input. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Last edited: