Differential Rebuild Kit

White Lincoln

6th Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7, 3.8L, all stock
Country flag
Can I get a recommendation on a differential rebuild kit, one that has everything I need (stop laughing!!!!)?

I figured if I am doing the CV axles, I might as well do the diff too. Since I have never done anything to the rear end other than change the fluid and replace the axles on the Town Car, a little help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If it’s a stock open diff there is absolutely no reason to open it up unless you have 1,000,000 miles on the clock, in which case you might want to change the fluid.

Beyond that I don’t recommend kits, just source the bearings/races. Timken and Koyo being the better of the bunch. IRS halfshaft seals you can get from LMR and the pinion seal is a roll of the dice IME. Personally I prefer crush sleeve eliminators. I’ve never had luck with garage tools getting a normal one to budge.

If it’s a stock open diff there is absolutely no reason to open it up unless you have 1,000,000 miles on the clock, in which case you might want to change the fluid.

Beyond that I don’t recommend kits, just source the bearings/races. Timken and Koyo being the better of the bunch. IRS halfshaft seals you can get from LMR and the pinion seal is a roll of the dice IME. Personally I prefer crush sleeve eliminators. I’ve never had luck with garage tools getting a normal one to budge.
Thank you for the good advice, much appreciated.

I think that if you have the time and tools, opening it up is still worth in imo. The reason is when I just did mine last month, a lot of extra shmoo was in the bottom that I don't think would have come out otherwise, maybe I just am too much of a perfectionist but I wanted it as clean as possible. I also only have 180,000 kms on it, but it was needed.

I think that if you have the time and tools, opening it up is still worth in imo. The reason is when I just did mine last month, a lot of extra shmoo was in the bottom that I don't think would have come out otherwise, maybe I just am too much of a perfectionist but I wanted it as clean as possible. I also only have 180,000 kms on it, but it was needed.
I drained and cleaned mine out at 100,000 miles based on the factory maintenance schedule. A bit of excessive lash in mine resulting in a "clunk" when I shift out of park and into reverse, otherwise still running strong.

I'm with XR7-4.6. I'd do a drain and refill and halfshaft seals. There is a whole lot of work tearing a diff apart and putting it back together. If you have Trak-Lok you can replace the friction discs without a ton more work. I wouldn't go beyond that unless you have obvious problems.

I've got a low mile trak-lok with 3.73s for sale that would make that 3.8L pretty wild 😜

Considering my half shaft exploded a few years ago after a rain storm, I naturally got the diff serviced

1726273371908.png

No kidding, that is just GROSS!

So, I did my gear oil in 2005 at 112k. I am at 155k now, but as 'Swan Prat' (that's how I read it the first time) said, "I gotsa mighty nasty clunk when Izz puttin' er backwards" (most of the time) and thought I should just replace "those" parts. <chuckle>

I got a good deal on the CV axles and felt, if I don't get them now, at 200k when I am 86, they may cost a bit more. Or worse, may not exist.

I am going to drop the pan when I do the CV's and see if I see any damage to the gears or if its just slop in the diff. I need to look over the drive shaft and u-joints, but the last time I looked (later than 2005), everything looked good.

Damn awesome site guys... damn awesome.

Could also be worn diff mounts causing the clunk.
Exactly! I have not had chance to get the rear end up other than for a visual. No leaks, no tears though!

"It'll be fine.... (shaking head)

...no, no... it won't be...."

Why did I have to inherit my dad's anal retentiveness. At least my older brother got to worst of it,