Fair price for a good 4r70w

Doxnoogle

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
96 Tbird Lx, PI 4.6
Country flag
I hate starting a "whats it worth" thread but in my defense, i swear search engines are getting worse. My 4r70w has around 40k on it since it was rebuilt by a big chain shop here in portland, i have the paperwork somewhere, fluid was changed at 25k. It still had the governor so no high speeds and as far as sustained, not more than 85. Its in perfect working order, has had a shift improvement tune on it since it was rebuilt. Im having a hell of a time figuring out what to ask for this thing. Its coming out of the car this weekend, would love to get some money back to offset the manual swap but i have no idea what a fair asking price would be. The rebuild was $2400, im seeing cores listed for 400-600 so im guessing somewhere around 1500?

I was going to say off the top of my head, $1000, but I have not checked recent average pricing for a used tranny. You should get more due to the shape and care you took of the tranny, but used is used and some people may see it that way.

Well at my local pick a part yard and transmission is $260. I picked up a 4r75w core from my sons project a couple months ago for $275 from my trans parts wholesaler.
I can't argue with you asking $1500, Hopefully you can find a buyer.

FWIW I sold mine for $600 and it was pretty well built, nobody was biting for any more than that.

Back in 08 I bought that trans for $250 on a local car-part listing, had 20,000 documented miles and looked it when I rebuilt it

I pay about $200 for an 02 trans. I wouldn't waste my time on an older one. The parts cost the same to replace, and an 02 is much better.

I think part of the problem with these transmissions not going for much is the fact that there aren't many vehicles on the road that use them anymore, so the market has shrunk dramatically. Basically only people who are building these for a project/know what they want, or are looking for rock-bottom-cheap "keep my beater going just a little longer" solutions.

Sold the 4r70w out of my Cougar after I did the manual swap. It was in perfect low mileage working order. I think I only got about $150 for it. But I also just wanted it gone because I was moving... so took the first offer. Also sold him my 93 Mark solid driveshaft for almost nothing just to get rid of it. Looking back kind of wish I held onto that :zshrug:

Someone on the FB group bought it all and said he was going to rebuild it for his Cougar. Hopefully it went to good use

Thode stock driveshafts are expensive, when they die, they tale out the trans, diff, and rear wheel bearings with the vibration. The gears in the diff, and the outer bearing races of the wheel bearings were wavy as hell. :(

Advertise, advertise, advertise.... eBay, local Craigslist, Etsy, local Paper, etc, etc... and list it as local pickup preferred or "only". There is a part in eBay for local sales too. ALso, do a lot of research to see what they have sold for on the current market. First place to check is eBay to see how much they have sold for, local and shipped. You can also get an idea of shipping costs from eBay sales as well as contacting a local shipping place near you and see how much it costs for the farthest place from where you are to see worse case shipping price.

You could also call you local tranny shops and see if they would buy it or know someone that needs one. Even local junk yards may "advertise" for you at their office or on line.

Hope you sell it and get a good price for it, if you get to the point of lowering the price and willingness to ship across the country let me know. I think shipping alone would be ridiculous though.

I've still got a rebuilt one with a bad torque converter and can't sell it for 400

That’s the issue with them; when you need one you need one… for any price, but getting rid of one you need the planets to align to find someone else in that same boat. I’d just say whatever you’re willing to pay if you were desperate and divide that by half is the fair market value.

Once months pass and you haven’t found any buyer just let it go for the best you can get. Time/space is money at some point

Your correct on the time/space but I got plenty of space (it's in my dad's barn on 5 acres out of my way lol) so space isn't a issue and to be honest I haven't put up a full fledge effort mostly just on here and I thought for a bit that a buddy of mine was going to buy it for his project but he ended up going another route

Where’s this 5 acres and a trans located?

Your correct on the time/space but I got plenty of space (it's in my dad's barn on 5 acres out of my way lol) so space isn't a issue and to be honest I haven't put up a full fledge effort mostly just on here and I thought for a bit that a buddy of mine was going to buy it for his project but he ended up going another route
I'd buy it if i lived closer

Yeah I'm a ways from you