How-To: Throttle Cable Slack Reduction

Country flag
Since I'm all out of ideas around suede, wood, and lighting, but I felt like writing another how-to, I decided to document my solution for throttle cable slack.

This mod affects a major drive control, so I think I should start out with my usual web disclaimer:
I am not a professional; this is for entertainment; I am not making any recommendations for your vehicle.

The Problem

Slack in the throttle cable causes the throttle pedal so sit low/forward. In my case, under full throttle the pedal was pressed deep into the carpet and insulation underneath. It also makes for a slightly awkward foot position during normal driving.

Step 1

Obtain a nylon spacer. Length 0.5", outer diameter 0.5", and inner diameter I believe is 0.194".
The length being the operative measurement here, 0.5" is a good place to start. 1" is likely too much, and I couldn't find one at 0.75" (though that may be ideal).

20240929_123800.jpg

Obtain one small zip tie.

Step 2

Drill all the way through the spacer using a 1/8 drill.

20240929_125834.jpg

Step 3

Cut an opening along the length of the spacer, 90° from the holes you drilled.

20240929_130651.jpg

The cable will slide through this cut. The zip tie will prevent the cable from sliding back out.
In the following pic, the red dot represents the throttle cable:

20240929_130709.jpg

Step 4

Install the spacer over the slack of the cable. Insert zip tie; ensure that the zip tie passes the cable on the side of the cut through the spacer. Close the zip tie; it doesn't need to be super tight.

VideoCapture_20240929-141950.jpgVideoCapture_20240929-142024.jpg

The Result

Since the pedal below the mounting point is at least twice as long as above the mounting point, the half inch adjustment above moves the pedal at least an inch closer to the driver's foot. In my case, under full throttle the pedal sits just shy of the carpet.

Initial driving requires some getting used to and retraining of one's muscle memory. I made sure to be careful on the throttle to prevent unwanted surging.

Hope this is interesting.

It does make me think.... My dad has a 91 Dodge w150 that you basically have to press the accelerator through the floor to get it to kick down... I'm going to peek under and see if something like this may be the issue or if it's some sort of TV cable adjustment issue... (not much of a Dodge guy)