Insurance opinions

theterminator93

Administrator
Staff member
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Country flag
What are you guys doing for your insurance?

We've had State Farm since day one - but I've been watching the auto insurance rates climbing more and more recently. Our agent was not particularly helpful in explaining why and offered to do little for us to try and control the increases. So, for the first time, I did some rate shopping. It turns out we are paying $1000-$1200/yr more on the 3 cars than most other providers quote me for the same coverage. So, before I dump State Farm, I'm doing a little more research on how some of the other companies would behave in certain situations...

You guys have any noteworthy experiences with any of the companies out there? That would certainly influence my decision for/against one in particular. It's not always just about the rate... :)

Liberty mutual treated me well on a homeowners insurance claim.
Erie has been good, although no real claims.
Currently have AAA, did research on them and found good treatment. Thankfully no claims.

Progressive also treated us well in Ohio, but that’s been years ago.

I have had Progressive for years, and never had any issues with them, but I also haven’t had any accidents or claims, and don’t carry full coverage on any of my vehicles, so price was definitely the biggest factor, and they were the cheapest by far! My rates actually just went up as well for the first time in years! For 4 cars, I was at $153/month, and it is going up to $178.

I've had state farm for as long as I have been on my own. I guess close to 20 years now. Our three vehicles are $1500/year total with an 18 year old driving the oldest with liability only. My truck is $600/year(2015 Silverado). It's gone up $60 the last year or so. Some of that is losing the discounts we got during 2020/2021 for less driving. Overall I've had a good experience.

It's interesting you brought this up as my old college roommate and his wife were talking how they were switching to Progressive as their SF went up significantly. So now you have me really worried...

One thing I would make sure to do is quote everything you have with multiple companies you want to. That way you get all the bundle prices and can pick the best total insurance cost.

I use Grundy for the Cougar and the '65's (the Skylark and the C10). Between those three policies, I have over $80k of agreed value coverage for just over $500 a year. I shopped Grundy, Hagerty, and a number of other collector car insurance companies about 15 years ago and settled on Grundy as they had the lowest rate by far. They haven't jacked up their rates, so I haven't had a reason to look elsewhere.

The regular cars (Mustang, F150, and the Jeeps) are all insured with Progressive. Before that it was Geico. Before that was esurance. Before that it was Travelers. Before that it was Safeco. Before that it was State Farm...and I don't recall what company I used before that. I've found that any of the typical insurance companies will start raising rates on you after a few years. It pays to shop around when that occurs.

If your car isn't a daily driver, I highly recommend checking out an agreed value collector car policy. You'll save a good deal of money and get a policy that will actually pay a reasonable value for the vehicle if something happens.

We use Farm Bureau for Home, Auto and Life Ins. Just had the roof on the house replaced on a claim. I’ll let you know in January if it effects our rates.

I used to have State Farm when I first got the Tbird. Yeah, their rates are high. You can do better.

Just one point on a hot topic run by data harvesting, I liked paying out of pocket for a locally trusted tow more than the towing an insurance partnered up with. Im not sure we can keep track of that

We have Erie for our daily drivers and home/life and I won't go anywhere else. Having worked briefly as an adjuster, Erie is by far the most fair to the insured party when it comes to paying claims. I also had Amica when I lived in a state Erie didn't operate in and had great service from them. I'd gladly recommend either of those firms.

One perk for Erie is they still have local agents that can manage claims. Most of the big name company agents like State Farm are only there to sell you something.

I have Hagerty for the Thunderbird and have had no issues. They have great perks too such as a $100 rebate on any set of Michelins you buy and roadside coverage for all vehicles you own. But they don't insure daily drivers.

One thing I’ve been told by many people is the big names in insurance don’t like to pay claims.

I keep the local tow company in my wallet and phone. They've never damaged a car of mine, and they've towed a bunch. :)
They have given Lazarus a 60 mile ride home 4 times, lol. 3 transmissions, and a set of broken wheels, lol. The other two never broke to where I couldn't drive them home, lol.

One thing I’ve been told by many people is the big names in insurance don’t like to pay claims.

No insurance company likes to pay claims. Some are better about it than others. With the amount of insurance fraud that goes on I understand their hesitancy to pay some claims and the desire to protect themselves and ultimately you from fraud. Defensive driving and dash cams are a godsend when defending yourself against fraudulent claims. Having said that it's very important to shop your insurance smartly. Getting the lowest rate may not be in your best interest. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I have had state farm for over 30 years now. In general they have been good to me. My two oldest policies are so old that they are cheap no matter what car I put on the policy. The downside is any time I add a third vehicle, they charge the current rates on that vehicle and that gets pricey. but since those two policies are so old, no other company ever comes close when I get other quotes.

No insurance company likes to pay claims. Some are better about it than others. With the amount of insurance fraud that goes on I understand their hesitancy to pay some claims and the desire to protect themselves and ultimately you from fraud. Defensive driving and dash cams are a godsend when defending yourself against fraudulent claims. Having said that it's very important to shop your insurance smartly. Getting the lowest rate may not be in your best interest. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Even with dash cams and witnesses, the big companies will still try to jack you around. State Farm is the worst if you're trying to get them to pay out as the other party's insurer. They will claim you were 1% at fault and deny payment knowing that the cost to litigate it will be more for you than the claim is worth. They're notorious for this when you don't have a way for your insurance to litigate it on your behalf (such as lack of collision coverage or not wanting to file a claim on your policy).

The 1% rule is only legal if the crash occurred in MD, VA, NC, AL, or DC. They still don't care and will try it anywhere.

I never had issues with SF paying out my claims when there was a need, but at one point maybe 7 or 8 years ago, they threatened me with a strongly worded letter to "watch my driving" because apparently they thought I had too many claims - I wasn't at fault for any of those claims, either! They really rubbed me the wrong way with that one, and I had almost forgotten about it.

Back