Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Kidd-7

5th Gear Poster
Lifetime Supporter
Vehicle Details
96 Cougar 4.6L
Country flag
I picked up a set of rims and tires off craigslist, mainly for the tires, to move toward getting the Jeep running for spring. They're stock TJ rims. I'm trying to decide do I transfer the tires over to my current rims or just put the TJ rims w/ tires on my YJ?
IMG_3675.jpgIMG_3676.jpg

Second one is TJ rim, correct? Those look better in of themselves.
On the other hand, it seems like the ones you had compliment the fender(?) pretty well. Hard to tell if putting on those tires will impact that

Yes second are TJ, the shiny aluminum ones. The paints are what’s currently on there.

TJ rims all day long.

If it's offroad much, those aluminum rims won't last. Steel wheels are best on a jeep, imho.Something that'll fit a big-assed set of mud tires. :) Otherwise, you'd end up having to be towed out, lol.

If it's offroad much, those aluminum rims won't last. Steel wheels are best on a jeep, imho.Something that'll fit a big-assed set of mud tires. :) Otherwise, you'd end up having to be towed out, lol.
^ this.

If it's just a mall crawler, the alloys will be fine. But if you actually take it anywhere tougher than a dirt road, steel is the way to go. They will bend in situations that an alloy will crack. They also can be hammered back to round on the trail with nothing more than a BFH.

When I had my TJ with a 3" lift, I swapped off those same polished wheels for a set of black Cragar steelies. Never had a problem during any of the undisclosed number of times we trespassed over at Regency in Cary or down off Friendship Road in New Hill.

We used to hit windrock long before it became a big attraction, it was an active strip mine, lol. You had to be careful; a whole piece of mountain might move between rides. I saw a buddy stick a bike in the top of a tree, because the whole trail disappeared. :)
I've seen full size trucks disappear in this one mudhole, lol. When a rock truck makes a hole, you don't want to be the next one thru there in anything else, lol. I'm talking a bigger than semi sized big truck...

Regency; I've heard of that, up north somewhere?

I drive through New hill back n forth to work. They’re building up out that way also.

Regency; I've heard of that, up north somewhere?
Nope, it's a power line trail next to a business park in Cary, NC. The Town of Cary used to not like people tresspassing on it.

I drive through New hill back n forth to work. They’re building up out that way also.
Yup, it's really sad. We were down by where the new high school is now. When we built our house in the late 90's/early 00's, it was on a gravel road. Now the Town of Apex has annexed it all and turned it into a bunch of McMansions. My parents recently cashed out and moved back to Tennessee.

The park we used to ride in was taken by the city, and made into a bicycle park. They bust people on off road motorcycles.
They don't realize that all the trails, we made with a TVA bulldozer, over a weekend. :) If fact, all the greenbelt areas in oak ridge have now been built on. :( And they used to throw us out of those for "despoiling nature". I guess asphalt and sprawl is better,lol.