Offset questions

rampagingsloth

3rd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Country flag
A stupid question I have applies to the MN12s but also many other modern cars.

Why do the rims for MN12s have such a different offset than cars from the '70s? I love the Magnum 500 rims that many muscle cars came with stock (or you could buy later), those rims recess in a lot, the center cap could be pretty tall.

But our cars (and Mustangs) have the hubs out so wide that there's almost no room left, all the rims look very "flat".

Is this some sort of superior handling decision, meaning the older cars had worse handling because of where the hub surface was in relation to the wheel depth? Does it help with turning radius or brake/fender clearance or something?

A stupid question I have applies to the MN12s but also many other modern cars.

Why do the rims for MN12s have such a different offset than cars from the '70s? I love the Magnum 500 rims that many muscle cars came with stock (or you could buy later), those rims recess in a lot, the center cap could be pretty tall.

But our cars (and Mustangs) have the hubs out so wide that there's almost no room left, all the rims look very "flat".

Is this some sort of superior handling decision, meaning the older cars had worse handling because of where the hub surface was in relation to the wheel depth? Does it help with turning radius or brake/fender clearance or something?

Scrub radius, reduced leverage(the further out the wheel is the harder the spring /shock will have to work) and the ability to use longer control arms, allowing for more travel. There’s other benefits too that translate to more durability in the life of the wheel bearings and balljoints as well, since there’s again less lever action within the wheel/tire itself acting against them.

Unfortunately, like aerodynamics, good engineering is kinda unattractive.