Power Antenna Replacement

Stanley

3rd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
Country flag
I managed to break my power antenna mast today (the motor still runs). As the original is discontinued, I'm wondering what people prefer as a replacement. Rockauto has Peterson black rubber masts, and Ebay and Amazon are full of similarly priced segmented steel ones. So the options are there, but I was wondering what people actually recommend, if anything.

I've had two of these on our '97. The current one stopped going up all the way after about a year. I just left it since I rarely drive the car and my wife doesn't turn the radio on much. Their language in the ad is tricky, but these are not OEM Ford parts. I considered just changing to a fixed mast antenna, but I honestly haven't had the ambition to search for parts. I also tried to find an NOS OEM mast, but could never confirm the part number. It may be and likely is the same across several platforms.

EDIT. I do see a Ford part number referenced in their ad: F3AZ-18A886-A

There are several listings for OEM versions of that part number on ebay for $55-$80. Most of those listings show it for a Crown Vic, but if you search on OEM Ford part websites they do show it fitting an MN12 (at least the '94 Cougar I happened to have entered in). I also found one on ebay UK where you can see part of the instructions in the bag and it lists several other applications like Mark VII and Mark VIII, so there is a good chance it fits our cars.

Last edited:
Buying direct from them rather than through their eBay store would be cheaper.

Here is another option from the same vendor if you want something less troublesome and dated and are willing to pay for it.

No way in hell would I consider an OEM fixed mast as a replacement, both from an aesthetic standpoint and because it makes the car too tall to drive under my lift unless the runway is all the way up (first world problems).

Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

Now, if I just wanted to replace the old power mast with a new small fixed mast, is there a way to disconnect the power antenna motor without either a) removing it altogether, and b) disabling my stereo? I gather operation of the car stereo is to some degree contingent on the antenna working and vice versa, though I'm not clear exactly what the relationship is.

Buying direct from them rather than through their eBay store would be cheaper.

It is cheaper to buy direct from them. My point was I went through two of those in three years and then I gave up on them.

Cool, thanks.

Now, if I just wanted to replace the old power mast with a new small fixed mast, is there a way to disconnect the power antenna motor without either a) removing it altogether, and b) disabling my stereo? I gather operation of the car stereo is to some degree contingent on the antenna working and vice versa, though I'm not clear exactly what the relationship is.

Easy as 1-2-3 according to their instructions. I think it looks kind of goofy. I'd rather have an OEM fixed mast as opposed to that black thing.