The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

Could find another ZX2 and grind down the tip of another speedometer needle to the right length for the tach.

This sounded like a great idea...

Alas, the weight is off. When you turn off the ignition, the shortened needle starts hovering at about 500 rpm.

That would bug me like crazy, so I settled for the shorter ZX2 tach needle after all.

I'm pretty sure it's just placed off on the rotation; these are motors, not spring loaded meters. Pop it back off and try again. :)

Anyone else gotten pissed and removed edge from win 10? My cat drives it crazy, lol.

I spent the time looking it up, and finally had to go thru hoops to delete the directorys with all its files, to keep it from reinstalling. I'm sure they'll pust an unremovable virus version in the next update. The "core windows feature" it adds to the os is ads in everything, lol. Win 10 is much faster without it.

every now and then I accidently hover over the newsfeed and it automatically opens Edge and it slows my laptop to a fucking crawl. That is the most bloated shitty browser in existence. I never tried getting rid of it, I just assume windows would reinstall it with an update eventually

Just disable Windows updates! You disable the service, then revoke system rights to reenable it. If you just disable the service, the system will turn it back on for you after a reboot or two. :)

Windows key + R
services.msc
Windows Updates -> disabled

Windows key + R
regedit
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv -> right click/permissions: set system to deny full control

Bam!

If you ever accidentally start Edge (for the first time) you can kill it instantly without going through that annoying "set me up" process of a thousand clicks.

Windows key + X
admin powershell (or terminal, or command prompt - any will work)
taskkill /f /im msedge.exe

Bam!

I use Apple and OS X, so no. :biggrin:

Technically it's all "macOS" or "iOS" now depending on your device.

I do have to run a virtual machine for our corporate intranet though. Our SonicWall VPN still won't support Apple anything.

Yes. If you kill the process from powershell, then delete the directories, it's gone. I don't let ms decide when to upgrade; that way lies madness, lol.
My it departmentpassed along an unscheduled update, that required a reboot, back in the 00's. They dumped ever computer in the company, many of which are running 24/7 doing calculations or simulations, and the forced reboot didn't save anything. I lost the changes I had made that morning on a pcb, but there were people calling for their heads. :) I spent all day the next day logging into lab computers, and restarting them on their tasks.
We used to play Quake 3 on the raspberry pi network after lunch on friday. :)

Firefox 115 ESR on my Windows 7 W520! W7 is clearly the pinnacle of the Windows UI IMHO - kernel improvements be darned, it's all been downhill from there.

I don't really care for W10 but having to support it daily at work has forced me to get used to it. W11 on the other hand makes 10 look like a dream by comparison... :zpuke: :zpuke:

Windows 7 isn't supported on a lot of newer hardware and software. Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 is the way to go, which is what I'm using with the new PC I built this year. No forced Windows updates, full user control, and I've never accidentally nor intentionally launched Edge before, even though it's technically there. It has zero impact on my system.

I intentionally chose a MacBook Pro for my work laptop because no work-configured Windows system is ever worth it unless you also get local admin rights, and even then, it will still be full of crap.

Last edited:
Anyone know of there is an attendant source for mark LCA bolts? I didn't get any work the LCAs I bought a couple years back. I found some used cost to me but would prefer new

Anyone know of there is an attendant source for mark LCA bolts? I didn't get any work the LCAs I bought a couple years back. I found some used cost to me but would prefer new

I'd just get the used set, last time I looked into alternatives I'd like clockwork find the right grade, length and thread pitch but too short of threads for the nut to engage.

Those are pretty rare, and the huge heads are kinda needed. I was told years ago to grab them.

Those are pretty rare, and the huge heads are kinda needed. I was told years ago to grab them.

I don't see any reason you couldn't use a high grade bolt and large thick washer combo as a substitute IF it could be found. Those torx heads are really the one thing I don't like about the Mark LCA swap

I found this and a couple others for a similar price. The guy I contacted didn't want to sell his...

I might ask again on the dreaded FB page...

I found this and a couple others for a similar price. The guy I contacted didn't want to sell his...

I might ask again on the dreaded FB page...

Oh the cam bolts? Those aren't specific to the mark arms, they're the same as the Tbird/cougar ones

Oh the cam bolts? Those aren't specific to the mark arms, they're the same as the Tbird/cougar ones
Well crap, so which ones are the pain? LCA to knuckle? Because of the axle clearance?

Well crap, so which ones are the pain? LCA to knuckle? Because of the axle clearance?

TLCA to knuckle, yes. They're a specific size, grade thread length and have a T50 torx head rather than a normal hex nut. Generally speaking it's been recommended to either walk away or negotiate the price significantly if the Mark arms don't come with them, they're kind of door stops without them.

Technically the low profile of the torx end allows ample clearance to the halfshaft. In practice however the nut end JUST clears the halfshafts fine, and installing them "backwards" (raises hand) allows you to remove the knuckle from the LCA without removing the halfshaft from the knuckle, which is a hassle.

Ive got a stupid question. Why was my steering wheel so sticky today? It was gross, and leather shavings were coming off. I almost never have a sweetened beverage in there

It's probably not leather coming off but whatever layers of grease built up from your and previous owners hands lifting off. its less obvious on the black leather Tbird steering wheel but that's probably what is. When I removed the grime off my original grey Cougar wheel I used bug and tar remover on a rag which worked really nicely, after that I wiped it down with leather conditioner and it was like new again.

Formula 409 works real well on human based grime stuff; it was designed to clean phones in offices. Don't use anything slick, lol.

Is it kind of humid where you are today? My 97 sebring has a leather wrapped steering wheel and it will do that from time to time. I think it's a combination of age, moisture, dirt from hands and use. A good leather treatment will help, if you just rub on it, it will go right through the leather. I'm on my 3rd steering wheel in that car. The first was wore out when I got it in December of 2006 at 71k, the next 2 came from junkyards, due for another replacement at 236k but getting hard to find any good ones anymore.

Later steering wheels will fit, ford sold the fr500 steering wheels ears ago, and someone was running one.

Did ford stop selling them? I havent seen an frpp catalog in years...