Check Engine Light Cluster Bulb Delete Defeat?

Jim3inVirginia

1st Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
1995 LX 4.6
Country flag
Electrical question.

On my '95 4.6 T-bird, I cleaned out the EGR tube to pass the state emission inspection seven years ago. I didn't bother fixing the cause, just addressed what was needed to satisfy the PCM. Of course eventually the P0402 came back, but I'm not going to go through that EGR tube hassle again as now it's emission exempt. Covering the MIL with electrical tape is too messy so I pulled the instrument cluster and removed the check engine light bulb.

Here's the problem, now the interior courtesy lights stay on with car shut off. Interesting if it was designed that way to discourage people from pulling the cluster bulb. Simple solution will be to pull fuse #6 for the courtesy lights and a few accessories I don't use. Pulling the bulbs would be too much work because the door key lamps are on that circuit. Or paint the MIL bulb black and put it back in the cluster.

Or does anyone think removing the cluster bulb and the courtesy lights staying on are unrelated?

Thanks

That’s definitely unrelated. I know this is probably an insulting suggestion you may have tried but did you check that the dimmer switch wasn’t clicked into courtesy light mode when you reinstalled the bezel?

That was it! Thanks for the sanity check. Reminds me of the time I called a friend while I was on the NY Thruway asking for advice why my car was idling so high and I couldn't see anything with the engine causing it. Turned out my floor mat was pushed up against the gas pedal.