Coolant replacement time

Country flag
Is it me, or is it hard to find "conventional" green coolant?

In 2.5 years of ownership, I've never done a complete drain/fill. I think it's time!

Are there any alternatives that are more readily available? What is everyone using?

HELP!

The vent plug won't come out. Instead the whole base wants to turn.

Meanwhile I already evacuated one gallon of coolant, so it's too late to abort.

What do I do?

20240824_164911.jpg

We call that a "backup" wrench. Make sure you fill / burp the engine through the vent port ; otherwise you could cause the engine to overheat.

Other question:

It's supposed to have a 3-gallon capacity. But it only drained about one gallon. No additional draining even with the sensor removed. With the overflow bottle, that's two gallons at most.

Where's the 3rd gallon? Does that not come out? Or do I have to turn the car upside down?

Which is...compatible with conventional green? I mean assuming that not all of it comes out.
Are you worried about your neighbors cats drinking it or something? I mean, are you saying "green" as in "planet friendly" or just the color green?

just the color green?

The color...and the chemical composition I suppose.

Sure it does! You open the bottom radiator drain petcock.

No, I meant on the engine itself.

The workshop manual states to remove the cylinder head coolant drain plug if equipped. But it doesn't specifically call out which engine is or is not so equipped.

Well, I was running out of day, so I filled it back up.

Really there isn't much difference between removing the vent plug or the temperature sensor (which sits about an inch lower). Even with the radiator filled to the top, coolant doesn't spill from the sensor location (though you can see it just below the thread).

I ended up refilling with about 1.5 gallons, radiator and overflow bottle combined. That's about half of capacity. Which is why I'm a bit frustrated.

The car was on level ground, and there was no significant increase in flow after I removed the sensor. I removed the top radiator hose, and it looked pretty clean in there (though I'm not sure if this is a place commonly subject to sediments).

So you all 3.8 owners, is this normal??! How much coolant do you get out by draining?

It is difficult to completely drain the entire engine. I'm sure the block has plugs on it somewhere, but I'm also sure they aren't easily accessible. I'd say you are doing alright getting 1.5 gallons out. When I do coolant drain and refills I just drain the rad and maybe pull a rad hose, but you'll never get everything out. You can also treat it like a partial trans drain and refill and repeat the same procedure in a week or two.

I've been getting my traditional green coolant at NAPA. Seems to be in stock there. All of my rigs run green so I stay stocked up.

Wasn't the factory fill for these cars the Ford gold antifreeze?

The green is getting hard to find these days. Last time I bought it was years ago. The yellow stuff is compatible and the same price though

Wasn't the factory fill for these cars the Ford gold antifreeze?

The green is getting hard to find these days. Last time I bought it was years ago. The yellow stuff is compatible and the same price though
I think Ford switched from green sometime in the early 2000's.