Daytime Running Lights Color

Which DRL color do you prefer?

• White

• Amber

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you! That confirms my thoughts.

My idea was to bypass the cornering relays when DRLs are not in use. That's where I made my mistake.

The reason I wanted to bypass them was because I don't want to wire a sort of unintended sequential effect where the outboard turn signal first lights up noticeably before the inboard turn signal. I mean the outboard lights are directly connected to the flasher circuit whereas the inboard lights depend on two relays. I know I'm talking about milliseconds here, but with LEDs that may actually be perceivable.

Meanwhile, I just had another idea: simply take an entire DRL module from a car equipped as I want mine. 98-02 Camaro comes to mind.

You can probably Fleabay a DRL module from either a Canadian car or a former fleet vehicle.

So...funny thing: after all these attempts of designing the perfect circuit, I played around some and actually settled for a solution I had previously dismissed.

I ended up switching the inboard bulbs from (the very bright) white to (an easier on the eyes) amber; ignition still triggers the bright LED element ON; and the OFF trigger is now the parking light circuit. The dim element also remains on the parking light circuit (stock). Ergo, no cross-functionality with turn signals at all.

I previously dismissed that option because I felt constant amber DRLs, which remain on during turn signal use would be confusing, plus cars that are factory-equipped with amber DRLs combine them with the turn signals.

As it turns out, that's not a requirement. Regulations state that:
  • [DRL color] "2 identically colored either white, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow"
  • "The color identified as amber is identical to the color identified as yellow."
  • "Each DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated."
The regulation does not state that an amber DRL has to be optically combined with a turn signal.

So I tried this, looked at it from various angles, and came to the conclusion that it's actually less confusing for onlookers.
The whole cross-functionality between DRL and turn signal can create a momentary lopsidedness. Say I use my left turn signal; for someone only briefly glancing at my car, it might actually look as if I used my  right turn signal because that brief glance just coincides with my left turn signal's off cycle, and now all they see is my single right DRL.

Nobody say I'm overthinking this now. I'm actually simplifying it; I continue with just one relay instead of my previously proposed five/six.

20240523_093322.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day when your car was new ('97) we would just drive around with the parking lights on. We thought we were so cool.

we would just drive around with the parking lights on.

I actually did that in the beginning because I don't like to drive without any lighting at all. But parking lights are too dim during the daytime. They do look cool though, the way they frame the headlamps.

The inboard lights being parking lights  only from the factory is really a missed opportunity. They're asking to be modded.