Expensive plug wires

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
So is it not possible to find a reasonably priced set of plug wires for a V6 these days? It's an SC. Does that mean the wires are super special? I can't find the sets listed at $37 but I can find a BUNCH of sets for $90 plus. This is ridiculous!

Are you looking on RockAuto?

I try to get Autolite plug wires when I can. I don't know if the SC's have a special wires or not.

The most expensive plug wire sets on RockAuto are about $30. For a relatively stock car they should be just fine. I do not know what the Motorcraft or Autolite wire set part numbers are, but I'm sure they are long obsolete.

The most expensive plug wire sets on RockAuto are about $30. For a relatively stock car they should be just fine. I do not know what the Motorcraft or Autolite wire set part numbers are, but I'm sure they are long obsolete.
I looked on Rock Auto. I don't do business with them anymore but they wanted $17 shipping for a $30 set of wires. I'll find something somewhere else.

I don't know. I just plugged the Standard Motor Products wire set in to my cart and they only wanted $7.99 for shipping. With tax and the 5% discount the total came to $37, so I guess the same as the cheap wires you were looking at.

I looked on Rock Auto. I don't do business with them anymore but they wanted $17 shipping for a $30 set of wires. I'll find something somewhere else.
Smart man. Try Temu! LOL... be sure not to give any personal info... just your shipping address and a PayPal account. :p

I don't know. I just plugged the Standard Motor Products wire set in to my cart and they only wanted $7.99 for shipping. With tax and the 5% discount the total came to $37, so I guess the same as the cheap wires you were looking at.
I got mine on a close out event from RockAuto. They did two different close outs and now I have two sets of wires for the Cougar.... "I'M NOT A HORDER!!!!"

If the v6 cars use the same coil packs, I'd expect anything but motorcraft wires to fail in about 2 years. Motorcraft usually last at leaast 3. As soon as the plug gap opens up, it wears on the wires.

If the v6 cars use the same coil packs, I'd expect anything but motorcraft wires to fail in about 2 years. Motorcraft usually last at leaast 3. As soon as the plug gap opens up, it wears on the wires.
Did not know👍

The SC uses double platinum plugs .. they don't wear out as quickly as those shitty coppers.

Copper pugs work great; but they have to be dressed every 10k miles, or they will quit. I get over 100k on double platinums.
I agree. I have tried different spark plugs in my car and the ones that lasted the longest and worked the best were plain old
Autolite AP2545 or Motorcraft SP-482 (standard V6).

Or ignitions are extremely high voltage; I have one that cracked, and would miss in the rain. I cleaned it, vacuum baked it for a couple of days, and sealed it with humiseal, a hv insulator. After I cast it in a block of hv rtv, I used it for feeding a tesla coil for a few years, until the whole setup got wasted in a storm. It measured 160kV, going into the circuit for the tesla coil. Output from that was incredible :) 12V to millions, lol.

Regular 3.6L or Super Coupe 3.6L?

Neither of those. 🤭

It depends if you have a distributor or coil pack ignition on the NA 3.8L; the SC all used coil packs which is why double platinum plugs are required - since the voltage passes through 2 wires and cylinders on a shared coil ( waste spark system ) in other words - it goes both ways.

Neither of those. 🤭

It depends if you have a distributor or coil pack ignition on the NA 3.8L; the SC all used coil packs which is why double platinum plugs are required - since the voltage passes through 2 wires and cylinders on a shared coil ( waste spark system ) in other words - it goes both ways.
Dang, learn something new every day.... Thanks dDUBb!

And yes, I have a distributor.

Dang, learn something new every day.... Thanks dDUBb!

And yes, I have a distributor.

Tip of the iceberg 🧊

So in your case .. the ignition coil may produce anywhere between 20-35Kv per ignition event. The KV will increase to compensate for excessive spark gap - the space between the tip and electrode is the reason why high voltage is induced - to cross the gap and a worn out plug may lead to excessive voltage requirement that could damage the coil / and or plug wires ? According to Grog; 3 years max .. but I've had the same wireset on my SC since 2005 and you know what they say about comparing apples to orages; it's just a huge tangent. 😉

Coils vs coilpacks are completely different. Coils don't burn plugs off below the insulator in 10k miles, or kill you if you lick the wire. :) dttah,lol. Ive never really looked at a non sc 3.8. But I can set points. With a matchbook, in the rain. (63 tbird 390) Its wires lasted at least 20 years.

Last edited: