Faded Car Key

Vicinity

Stock CD Player
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
96 4.6 LX, 98 LSC
Country flag
Some time ago, I was informed by my mechanic that my ignition key is really faded. Problem is that he's only seen the spare key that was cut several years ago. Of course the primary key is even more faded. Is cutting another key from the spare the best approach?

Is yours a single key or dual key? Ford had the single key conversion that converts all the cylinders to the later 8-tumbler with center groove style. Probably the best option.

If the spare key does everything it should do, just cut a new one from it.

so faded will not affect the use of the key if the key still turns smoothly then just copy it. if it is hard to turn go to a locksmith store (not lowes home depot.) have them cut it back to factory spec and send you on your way you'd be looking at about $50 at our shop in irmo south carolina

Good point. Define "faded". I assumed you meant it was worn down.

Walmart here cuts keys,they even had one with the merc logo.

Well Walmart is coping keys there is a significant difference in copying a key vs cutting back to factory. Copying a key is only recreating the same issue but cutting back to factory isn't using a key to create a key it's done by measuring what is on the worn key and adjusting it so that the new key is returned back to its orginal depth so for example I'd you had a key that was worn the cuts will read something like 1.5,2.5
3.5 etc... Well there are no half measurements in a key so the proper depths for that should be 1,2,3,etc...but the key has worn down halfway to the next depth cause it to snag or grab when you try to use it in your locks so. If you copy our 1.5 2.5 3.5 you come out with another key that's 1.5 2.5 3.5 and that's not resolving the issue.

Thanks yall. Glad to know they can get to factory spec somehow, but yea maybe I should make a couple of copies of the spare. It's smoothed out quite a bit, they're just humps whereas the spare actually has teeth to it. As far as I can tell, theres no issue with either yet. I just never thought to check it until it was pointed out

Edit: I assume dual key means double sided as I have, otherwise Im not sure what that means. This is the 96 bird

So deping on the month of your 96 it may be the 10 cut which is 06/96 and back or the 8 cut which is 06/96 upto 97s. If one key works the door/ignition/trunk it's the 8 cut. If you have doir/ignition key and separate round head key for trunk it's the old version. Dual key means double sided. Now the 10 cuts are only cut on both sides for convenience the locks only operate on one side of the key just cut on both so you don't have to pay attention to which way you put the key in. The 8 cut is different it's staggered wafers meaning the odd numbers 1,3,5,7 are one one side of the lock and the evens 2,4,6,8 are on the other side so that key has to be cut on both sides to operate.

There's a number on the side of a factory key, that they can cut an original key from.

My keys for 96's are all double sided, but a real locksmith can cut from the number, or the keyset. (lock)

If you have the later keys, you can use the Retrobird blanks in your MN12. They have colored logos instead of the embossed stampings.

key02_03.jpg

That's why God invented SecuriCode.

If you have the later keys, you can use the Retrobird blanks in your MN12. They have colored logos instead of the embossed stampings.

View attachment 6337
These are 8 cut keys so they would work tbirds/cougars that are 06/96 and up. And never post pictures of your key I can decide and cut keys just from this picture so I hope this is just a random image which I'm guessing is the case unless you have a newer tbird based on the years next to the keys.

My keys for 96's are all double sided, but a real locksmith can cut from the number, or the keyset. (lock)
The 89-96 are double sided as well as the 96/97 the question is which double-sided key there are 2 versions and 96 is the split year some are 10 cut some are 8 cut