Front end rattle...brake calipers?

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
I've replaced all my front suspension components recently and when I go over bumps, I hear a strange rattling sound. I've checked for loose components with the suspension both loaded and unloaded. The only thing I can find is that when I grab the metal portion of the brake line and shake it, the caliper moves slightly and makes a bit of a sound. The passenger side caliper does the same and is even louder. The caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts are all tight.

Should the caliper be moving enough to make a noticeable noise? It sounds similar to what I'm hearing when I hit bumps.

Stock calipers or? It certainly can be worn guide pins as those will contribute to those noises. If you have Cobras they're just kind of that way especially if the pad clips are weak or are missing the OEM rubber isolator. Sway bar links tend to be the primary source for rattles over bumps when it comes to suspension.

+1 in the endlinks.You will find one side frozen, the other side worn out and rattling. Find greasable ones, they last longer. I used to see this every 3 years like clockwork.

The rear brakes on my Cougar were rattling after I bought it. Taking apart the rear brakes for a service/inspection I found the springs on the brake pads were sticking through the hole where the hardware is supposed to go. :facepalm: It's surprising that whoever put in the new pads figured out to twist the rear pistons back in.

The Sport Package / MarkVIII brake calipers on the front have the same setup, so it's possible they could be installed horribly wrong and rattle.

I've replaced all my front suspension components recently and when I go over bumps, I hear a strange rattling sound. I've checked for loose components with the suspension both loaded and unloaded. The only thing I can find is that when I grab the metal portion of the brake line and shake it, the caliper moves slightly and makes a bit of a sound. The passenger side caliper does the same and is even louder. The caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts are all tight.

Should the caliper be moving enough to make a noticeable noise? It sounds similar to what I'm hearing when I hit bumps.
Have you checked your wheel bearings?

Do you hear the rattle/clunk when going over a bumpy section of road with the brakes lightly applied?

The front Cobra brakes on my LTD rattle like crazy when I drive down our dirt road we live on and it does have all of the anti-rattle clips properly installed. Sometimes I ride the brakes to keep from hearing that sound.

Well, if you refer to the original post, I said I replaced all front end components. This DID include endlinks even though I didn't mention them.

Also, this particular Bird IS and will remain bone stock...except for maybe some tranny mods...speaking of which, I removed the tranny pan today to install a new 1-2 piston. I'm going to post under "What would cause these symptoms" in my previous tranny post...

I went out at night last night to check my new headlamp bulb. Although the bulb wasn't much better, I was riding the brakes over the bumpy sections of my dirt driveway. If you have a long, dirt driveway, you know they CAN be bumpy! When I was on the pedal, no noise! When I was off the pedal...noise! Mystery solved... Thanks to all who posted.

Noise issue solved:

Seems the brake pads rattle around when there isn't a stainless steel clip installed in the caliper. I now vaguely remember pulling them out because I knew I would be replacing the pads soon. Then I decided against replacement and threw the pads back in, sans clips. I only remembered when I actually DID replace the pads!

It's nice to resolve irritating noises in these cars. Solve one rattle, on to another. Solve one issue with irregular firing, on to rough idle... never ends.

It's nice to resolve irritating noises in these cars. Solve one rattle, on to another. Solve one issue with irregular firing, on to rough idle... never ends.
Pretty much, these are great cars if you enjoyed Whac A Mole

does the rattle sound like a couple of dimes are in your wheel? I've had for a bit and everyone just scratches their head

Pretty much, these are great cars if you enjoyed Whac A Mole
LMAOROTF!

On that note, I was thinking what a great car I have after I resolved my distributor problem and the car ran GREAT! I was even bragging to my wife yesterday, what a great car we have for being over 20 years old as we drove down the highway with the A/C on and enjoying the quite and smooth ride. Seriously, the reason we have kept this car is because it so comfortable to drive long distances or just around town.

Last edited:
does the rattle sound like a couple of dimes are in your wheel? I've had for a bit and everyone just scratches their head
Does the sound go away after driving for a bit or is it consistent? I had a similar noise when I hit something, rattle like something bouncing loose under the car. It was the front wheel bearings.

I have other rattles now and I am suspecting the rear bearings or the UV joints. First thing is to get the car up some jacks and take a rubber mallet to everything and see you can recreate the rattle. If everything is tight, it may be internal, like bearings. Have someone go with you next time and see if they can explain what the rattle sounds like to them. Two heads are better than one. I asked a mechanic that took a test drive with me in my car and all he said about the rattle I heard was "what rattle?"... frack.

It's nearly random. Its usually an uneven rough road that really does it. My latest theory is that its a tiny part that I lost in the bay at one point. No mechanic or passenger has a clue. I dont ask the mechanic about the sound though. Considering I've since had the front suspension serviced, then later the rear suspension, all wheels changed then later all brakes changed, I would have expected a note

[to answer the question, drive duration has no effect. I had a backyard mechanic in the passenger seat to see if he heard the sound and I had no intention on having him fix the issue. He said "yes that really does sound like a couple of dimes." Another way to explain it I guess would be a loose washer]

Couldn't tell you how many times I've driven around with my head out the window listening for a sound in a customers car ..

Two easy ways to make noises go away ..

Take your mechanic for a test drive - the downside is that the noise will come back right after you leave ..

Turn your stereo louder; if a wheel bearing makes a squeaky noise in the middle of the forest but your stereo is cranked to 11 .. does it really make a sound?? 🤔

The stock driveshaft is always bad, if you take it out and look, lol. They're a bit pricy to replace.

In my case, the rattle stopped when I applied the brakes. That clued me in on the brake pads.