Front end rattle...brake calipers?

GRWeldon

4th Gear Poster
Country flag
I've replaced all my front suspension components recently and when I go over bumps, I hear a strange rattling sound. I've checked for loose components with the suspension both loaded and unloaded. The only thing I can find is that when I grab the metal portion of the brake line and shake it, the caliper moves slightly and makes a bit of a sound. The passenger side caliper does the same and is even louder. The caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts are all tight.

Should the caliper be moving enough to make a noticeable noise? It sounds similar to what I'm hearing when I hit bumps.

Stock calipers or? It certainly can be worn guide pins as those will contribute to those noises. If you have Cobras they're just kind of that way especially if the pad clips are weak or are missing the OEM rubber isolator. Sway bar links tend to be the primary source for rattles over bumps when it comes to suspension.

+1 in the endlinks.You will find one side frozen, the other side worn out and rattling. Find greasable ones, they last longer. I used to see this every 3 years like clockwork.

The rear brakes on my Cougar were rattling after I bought it. Taking apart the rear brakes for a service/inspection I found the springs on the brake pads were sticking through the hole where the hardware is supposed to go. :facepalm: It's surprising that whoever put in the new pads figured out to twist the rear pistons back in.

The Sport Package / MarkVIII brake calipers on the front have the same setup, so it's possible they could be installed horribly wrong and rattle.

All the cars I bought had that crap when I got them, lol.

I've replaced all my front suspension components recently and when I go over bumps, I hear a strange rattling sound. I've checked for loose components with the suspension both loaded and unloaded. The only thing I can find is that when I grab the metal portion of the brake line and shake it, the caliper moves slightly and makes a bit of a sound. The passenger side caliper does the same and is even louder. The caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts are all tight.

Should the caliper be moving enough to make a noticeable noise? It sounds similar to what I'm hearing when I hit bumps.
Have you checked your wheel bearings?

Do you hear the rattle/clunk when going over a bumpy section of road with the brakes lightly applied?

The front Cobra brakes on my LTD rattle like crazy when I drive down our dirt road we live on and it does have all of the anti-rattle clips properly installed. Sometimes I ride the brakes to keep from hearing that sound.

I vote sway bar end links also. I have replaced mine several times over the years.

Reactions: V-8
Well, if you refer to the original post, I said I replaced all front end components. This DID include endlinks even though I didn't mention them.

Also, this particular Bird IS and will remain bone stock...except for maybe some tranny mods...speaking of which, I removed the tranny pan today to install a new 1-2 piston. I'm going to post under "What would cause these symptoms" in my previous tranny post...

I went out at night last night to check my new headlamp bulb. Although the bulb wasn't much better, I was riding the brakes over the bumpy sections of my dirt driveway. If you have a long, dirt driveway, you know they CAN be bumpy! When I was on the pedal, no noise! When I was off the pedal...noise! Mystery solved... Thanks to all who posted.