Good quality TC for stock daily driver

GRWeldon

4th Gear Poster
Country flag
Howdy. Anybody have a recommendation? Completely stock 96-97 4.6 application with a 96-97 rebuilt transmission.

Marauder converter. About 2100 stall vs. the stock 1500 RPM stall.

Yep, or just about any 11" converter(Mark VIII(96-04 Mustang GT, P71) they all stall about the same including the marauder. Just make sure to get a matching flexplate

Another stupid question... what difference does the stall speed mean to me? Why should I prefer a 2100 stall vs. a 1500 stall?

For most intents and purposes you won't notice much difference during daily driving, but when you get on it you will notice the improvement in acceleration. No difference in fuel economy as they are all lockup converters.

If all else is equal (price, availability) get the Marauder/GT/MarkVIII converter and flex plate.

Another stupid question... what difference does the stall speed mean to me? Why should I prefer a 2100 stall vs. a 1500 stall?
You want a stall to be closer to the power band. Higher horsepower tends to be in higher RPM, and to use that you want a converter to slip until that RPM. That way it grabs in or closer to the power band.

I have a 3000 stall, but it needs the lock up clutch repaired. any converter shop can fix it.

$100

its a dirty dog converter

Transtar is a good brand for normal use. That is generally what I use for my rebuilds.

Thanks for the recommendation on Transtar. I was on board with the Marauder converter for our car, but there are so many different rebuilders out there. If you look long enough they all have extremely negative reviews, by some pretty angry people. I don't need anything much more than a stock converter for the type of driving our car sees.

Thanks for the recommendation on Transtar. I was on board with the Marauder converter for our car, but there are so many different rebuilders out there. If you look long enough they all have extremely negative reviews, by some pretty angry people. I don't need anything much more than a stock converter for the type of driving our car sees.

That was ultimately my decision way back in 2009, I’m not at the track often so I picked a stock marauder converter I bought from the ford parts counter. No fuss no roll of the dice and no bs allegiances to one favored vendor or another.

Does Ford still offer the marauder converter over the counter anymore? I haven't asked in a long time. I've purchased rebuilt Marauder converters from Transtar from my transmission wholesale parts supplier. You just have to know what to ask for.

Does Ford still offer the marauder converter over the counter anymore? I haven't asked in a long time. I've purchased rebuilt Marauder converters from Transtar from my transmission wholesale parts supplier. You just have to know what to ask for.

I think mine was a reman from Ford, they may have used an outside vendor like them.