Greetings all!

Kane

Vehicle Details
96 LX 4.6 Easy Rods Conversion
Country flag
I just came over from TCCoA. Good to see some fresh input!
Over the past 15 years I’ve owned (and loved) 3 of these EasyRods Conversions. (OK haters…please)
I’ve had a 97, a 95 and now this 96.
I’m an old man at this point and finally decided to “reduce” my collection of cars (and the corresponding expense). I said to my wife, “I’m going to sell off these cars I have and get myself down to one car (for me). But…it’s gotta be “cool”, so I can take it to car shows (I enjoy) and my Hot Rod Club weekly breakfast. It has to be “dependable” (ie; relatively late model) and I have to be able to leave it sit out in the driveway, in the rain and don’t give a crap”.
A guy I know, his father had built the 96 almost 20 years ago. He passed away and the son was selling of some of the properties, including this car. He mentioned it to me as he knew I have a weakness for them and I ended up buying it. Fits the bill for what I was thinking. I’ve posted pics of the 3 I had.
Glad to be here. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9180.jpeg
    IMG_9180.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Welcome!

Admittedly, we aren't exactly fans of the conversion kits. But, I can appreciate the work that's gone into them and it's great to see someone with genuine enjoyment for the platform.

Thanks.
(imho) it makes a great car even better! Best of both worlds!
My 95 (ShBoom) was a “show stopper” everywhere I drove it!

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpeg
    IMG_2045.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
Welcome! I have many questions :). I wonder if you have pics of the cars before the conversion. Also, I would be interested in knowing what/if suspension work was done (looks like maybe the rear has switches). Also, I am curious about the interior. Also, what does the title/registration say for make and model?

Welcome!

Admittedly, we aren't exactly fans of the conversion kits. But, I can appreciate the work that's gone into them and it's great to see someone with genuine enjoyment for the platform.
You are much too kind.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! I too am not much of a fan of retro conversions but a lot of people vocally aren’t fans of factory Cougars for the formal roofline so to each their own. Still an MN12 under the skin and we’re all here to keep the platform alive!

Welcome! The white one looks cool, I can tell lots of time and money went into it. The fender skirts really finish off the side profile. With just the front and rear done on those conversions, they don't look as complete to me.

Welcome!

Thanks. I can appreciate that the "purists" here aren't exactly "fans" of the conversions. I understand. I was in the "Classic Car Business" for a long time. For years I was a "purist". If a car wasn't bone stock, absolutely "correct", i would look at it with disdain! Then, one day I figured out...it's a "car". Somebody owned it and made it the way they wanted it. I learned to appreciate it for what it was. I think we're all here for the same reasons. An appreciation for the MN12 platform, tech ideas and help and an overall fondness for "cars".
If you care to, go back and read my original intro. I'm 80 years old (at this point!) I could be driving some boring old car or something dependable and cool at the same time.
Speaking of the "dependable" part...I still haven't figured out this engine "miss" yet.
New plugs, wire and coil packs.
No coolant around the plugs.
No leaky intake (i can see Permatex here and there so looks like it was off at one time)
Runs good for the first minute or so and then the "missing" starts. Grrrr

Welcome! The white one looks cool, I can tell lots of time and money went into it. The fender skirts really finish off the side profile. With just the front and rear done on those conversions, they don't look as complete to me.
Kenz, ya...I agree with you. When I first saw one, I looked at it and said "that looks like a 49/50 Ford but the side profile isn't right. WTF?" Then I saw how it was made.
)imho) it's the best of both worlds!

Welcome! I have many questions :). I wonder if you have pics of the cars before the conversion. Also, I would be interested in knowing what/if suspension work was done (looks like maybe the rear has switches). Also, I am curious about the interior. Also, what does the title/registration say for make and model?
Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have pics of any of the ones I had, before they were built. I did have "Polaroids" of the blue 97 "before". It was wrecked in the front, not bad...just sheet metal. The guy that built it had a buddy with a body shop and they bought it at the salvage sale. That car had a "rebuilt" title, 97 Ford Thunderbird.
My 95 and 96 are title appropriately for what they are.
The 95 (ShBoom) was a "tribute car" built to mimic a relatively famous 51 Ford built by Gene Winfield. I've attached a couple pics of it also. ShBoom had cut coils to lower it and had air shocks in the rear with on board compressor. Interior was stock (but sprayed that lite blue). Seats were changed out, but I don't know what they were from.

Attachments

• R side at school.JPG
    R side at school.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Plane and Bird.JPG
    Plane and Bird.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 10
  • LR at school.JPG
    LR at school.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Exhaust deflector.JPG
    Exhaust deflector.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 9
  • fog lamp.JPG
    fog lamp.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 7
  • LS at Edison Show low.jpg
    LS at Edison Show low.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • At Sonic2.jpg
    At Sonic2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Pass seat back.jpg
    Pass seat back.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Gene Winfield signature.jpg
    Gene Winfield signature.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 9
Here's some pics of the 96 I have now.
If you go back and read my original (intro) post about why I did this, I liked ShBoom (a lot) but it was (imho) a little to "delicate" to leave it sit out all the time.
The last two pics are the original "ShBoom" built by Gene Winfield on a 51 Ford.

Attachments

• Cousins.jpg
    Cousins.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • RF2.jpg
    RF2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • hood up.jpg
    hood up.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Driver Seat.jpg
    Driver Seat.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9
  • RF.jpg
    RF.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 9
  • LR with text.jpg
    LR with text.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 9
Speaking of the "dependable" part...I still haven't figured out this engine "miss" yet.
New plugs, wire and coil packs.
No coolant around the plugs.
No leaky intake (i can see Permatex here and there so looks like it was off at one time)
Runs good for the first minute or so and then the "missing" starts. Grrrr

Someone on here will know.

Just a thought, just a shot in the dark: could that idle air control valve be sticky? Maybe some cleaning there could help.

Someone on here will know.

Just a thought, just a shot in the dark: could that idle air control valve be sticky? Maybe some cleaning there could help.
Maybe...but...I am almost embarrassed to tell you but...I think I fixed it!
This is not an excuse but...I had this young, "mobile mechanic" come out and change the plugs etc for me. I can tell you all the reasons why I did that but really doesn't matter.
I kept thinking about that "low speed" miss and how (in my experience) it was related to bad plug wires. A couple different guys (on here) suggested "check your #8 plug wire...that is a hard one to get back on". I kept thinking about that and finally went out and checked it. Almost every plug wire was not seated on all the way down on the plugs! I pushed them all on and now it runs like it should!
Jeeezzz

I'm interested in seeing more of that Vagabond (?) there in the hangar... :)
Thanks
Good eye! That is a PA15 Vagabond we owned for 2010 to 2016. We lived at that airport, in the hanger where we kept the airplane and TBird! Most fun airplane I've ever had!
I'd be more interested in the engine mods you did on your car! Even tho I have my "firing on all 8" again, they're still kind of "anemic"!

Tightening the plugs without torque rating was a terrifying experience. Reminds me I got to pull this wire out again and see if its gross again
1696724469123.png

Edit:
Just checked after 2 years, yea I should probably at least prioritize the weather seal from bay to windshield
1696725593831.png

Last edited:
Long version is my build thread: https://forum.birdcats.com/threads/thoughts-on-mhs-pi-h-c-and-stock-bottom-end.40/

Short version is ported PI heads swapped on the stock engine, with supporting mods. PI intake, headers, exhaust, transmission, gears, tune etc.

I've never flown (in) a taildragger - there aren't many options near me to get my endorsement. Biggest thing I've flown is a C210, but lately I've been in Warriors. Flying club has an Arrow I want to get some time on, but it's been down for a while.