Header options for a 95 tbird 4.6l?

The Kooks 3/4 length that SCP sells are the best off-the-shelf bolt-on, but they come with a price. 4.6 headers for SN95s also fit if you do the steering shaft mod.

You can port the stock manifolds and do better than the shortys. A member made ported stock manifolds an did very well, but Preston Died a few years back. :( Best option, much cheaper, is to get the sn95 longtubes, move #8 to the spot in bills pix, and go with it. cheaper and easier than the relocation.

cheaper and easier than the relocation.

I’d dispute that… if you’re using flaming river top dollar sure, but 3/4 x 36 spline eBay specials work. Mine are all 6+ years old and all of them are all good, even with aggressive driving and Chicago area potholes to test them.

I have $100 (maybe $150) in my steering shaft relocation to clear SN95 Cobra manifolds, and yes I have a drill press and bench grinder and whatnot but it’s still a whole lot cheaper than a halfway decent mig welder to actually relocate primary tubes with welding equipment.

Replacing the rag joints with u-joints is a worthy upgrade, even without the relocation. I'll start acquiring parts. The 4v will need headers eventually. :)
I realized today that my garage is a powertrain workshop; I have everything I need to build a ford powertrain, with multiple head, block, and intake varieties. 2v in iron or aluminum, and two versions of 4v, both b and c. There is an 02 trans that is ready to go in the case, and several tc options, 3 big and one small pattern.

You can port the stock manifolds and do better than the shortys. A member made ported stock manifolds an did very well, but Preston Died a few years back. :( Best option, much cheaper, is to get the sn95 longtubes, move #8 to the spot in bills pix, and go with it. cheaper and easier than the relocation.
I'd have to rip off the head for that right? Don't know if I have time for that one, this is my only car

Skip the time and effort of porting of the stock manifolds. Back in the day a well-known community member ported stock manifolds which did help with raw flow numbers. However the exhaust flow is not the (initial) restriction on our powertrains, but rather the intake port design of the heads. As a result, headers (longer than shorties) are a much more worthwhile investment because of the benefits to scavenging they provide - all the more important on heavy cars like the MN12.

Skip the time and effort of porting of the stock manifolds. Back in the day a well-known community member ported stock manifolds which did help with raw flow numbers. However the exhaust flow is not the (initial) restriction on our powertrains, but rather the intake port design of the heads. As a result, headers (longer than shorties) are a much more worthwhile investment because of the benefits to scavenging they provide - all the more important on heavy cars like the MN12.
So the intake is the real bottleneck here for the most part then?

I’ve had the ported manifolds they were great for the time, i picked up these for about 450 on the forums many years ago and had them ceramic coated. picked up about 14hp with just the headers from kooks. They are worth the investment

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 9
So the intake is the real bottleneck here for the most part then?
It's the port design in the heads, for the most part. Fix that (ported heads help a lot, TFS heads fixed the issue) and then you can start chasing the domino effect of new bottlenecks. This is why most bolt-ons have a relatively limited effect.