Options for two-tone teal paint

andy625uk

Vehicle Details
Thunderbird LX 4.6v8 1994
Country flag
Havent posted on here for a while. Hope everyone's doing ok.

Been looking at options to fix laquer peel on my roof, hood and trunk. A respray is a bit out of my budget so I had a look at getting the affected panels wrapped.

The company can't match the teal colour exactly so I'm looking for options to make the roof hood and trunk a different colour. Not keen on black, but has anyone done this before?

Good to see you. Hope your new job is treating you well!

While others ponder responses to your original question, I'll ask this: how's the paint under the clear? Would [wet] sanding the old clear coat off, then re-clearing it be an option? I'm ignorant as to whether that was a tinted clear color, so it might be a moot point. :)

I've seen dark blue with teal metallics look good as a two tone on 18 wheelers. It would have to be pretty dark to contrast enough, but may look decent

Good to see you. Hope your new job is treating you well!

While others ponder responses to your original question, I'll ask this: how's the paint under the clear? Would [wet] sanding the old clear coat off, then re-clearing it be an option? I'm ignorant as to whether that was a tinted clear color, so it might be a moot point. :)
The jobs ok thanks - apart from the cad system they use. Creo Parametric is useless compared to Solidworks that we had at the last company.

The paint under the clear looks ok to me. Every bodyshop I've spoken to said they'd repaint the colour though - I guess to make sure it came up to standard. Do you think sandingthe clear off would work? A good proportion of it has gone already!

I think a 2 tone looks good! A buddy back in the 80's had a black and tan tbird that looked really good.
Solidworks is great. It could be worse, Our company went with NX, which is completely different.

Once the clear is compromised, you pretty much have to respray the color. The problem is that there is no catalyst or UV protection in the base, so as soon as the clear is compromised, the base starts breaking down, and since it is not chemically hardened like the clearcoat, you will inevitably sand through the base while trying to remove the clear.

As for what color would work well with a 2-tone, I seem to recall seeing a teal with charcoal grey bird that looked pretty good, although I think that one was teal on top and charcoal on bottom.