How to Fix Floor Jack?

CDsDontBurn

4th Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
97 Thunderbird Sport
Country flag
Any idea on how to air out a jack that's failed / lost pressure?

My Daytona HF jack can't support the weight of a vehicle anymore. I think there may be air in the hydraulic pump. I've seen tons of YT videos on how to air it out and add fluid, but all videos are slightly different on what to do. One says pump your jack 10 times, cover the fill hole with the screw, pump some more, add more fluid, and done. another says, pump the jack, add fluid, and done. etc. etc. There isn't any consistency on the YT videos I've seen.

What do you guys say on how to fix?

My jack(harbor freight, but older than the Daytona series) I just top off with fluid. No special procedure. Thing’s almost 20 years old and only needed fluid once so it’s not something g I’ve needed to do on the reg.

You can extend the ram manually, fill the reservoir with fluid, cap it, and let the ram back down.
This. If it still isn't working, you can vacuum bleed it.

Most of the advice didn’t work for me. I have not tried the last suggestion hence not replying yet. It’s still on my to do list, somewhere in that mile.

The o-ring at the ram is probably letting air in if it is old. Tightening the collar doesn't help. If too much air gets in w/ moisture the check ball will corrode and well it doesn't work.