Latest insane thought:

Grog6

Vehicle Details
2x 1996 Cougars, 1997 Tbird 4.6's all.
Country flag
What do y'all think about my insane idea for getting an engine home? I no longer know anyone with a truck, so I'm seriously considering driving lazarus to the jy, having them stuff a pi motor in the trunk, and driving home. I can get it out with a cherry picker. :)
How bad would this bend the car?
Please discuss. :zdevil:

I hauled a 302 HO block in the hatch of my 84 GT. PI Motor is larger of course. Honestly I would look for a Home Depot/Lowes that rents pickups if one is close by. Some U-hauls have trucks too. If i were close enough I'd swing by in the excursion.

Depending on low far it is. I’d recommend renting a small U-Haul or a pickup truck from them. I believe Lowe’s also rents trucks by the hour.

:zwthstupid: I almost did this a few years ago, you’re time limited with lowes/home depot rentals though, they start charging $9 every 15 minutes after 1.5 hours of the$19.95 price, Uhaul is $19.95 for the day but is mileage limited(I think .70 cents/mile). I’m going to be hauling a motorcycle home soon doing this, haven’t decided who to rent from yet

I could see a modular V8 fitting in a Cougar trunk. Tbirds probably have too small an opening.
That said, wouldn't do it to a car I cared about!

I've heard of peeps taking the passenger seat out to put large, heavy items in its place. 🤔

That was my other thought. It wouldn't hurt to remove the seat. I'd wan't to leave the drivers's seat. :) This is Lazarus; the rear has been reworked from the pass rear corner being crushed from a chick passing another car, over the top of a hill at 70 in a 25mph industrial park. He has a rebuilt title for a reason. :) The whole ass end of the car os already bent to the side, from where I stuck the throttle, due to a bad drivers engine mount. :)
So, stuffing a new engine in the trunk isn't going to be anything worse than it's seen. I've carried more than one transmission. :) Hey, I missed the school bus. That's all I can say to the good.

keep in mind the 4.6 is a very top heavy engine, it’s going to fall over and probably fuck up your door, your console, your dash etc. plus it’s coming from a junkyard so it’s going to be filthy. I woukdnt ever put an engine in an interior unless it was stripped totally bare

Yeah, I agree. it was a wild thought, and would be easier if it worked, but. i'm gonna have to look into delivery options. They want a freight dock, not some yahoo with a cherry picker to get it off their truck.. :) I need some shit from Lowes, maybe I can bribe their driver :)

If you were just goin for it and didn’t care-
I would take the whole truck lid off and leave it at home. Duct tape the license plate to the trunk. Get one or two used tires (the thinner the better). Use the tires to rest the engine on and hopefully wedge it against the upper trunk opening at the base of the rear window. Then get assertive with the ratchet straps- I envision the straps wrapping around the B pillars and back to themselves. You will then have to enter and exit the car NASCAR style. Drive side roads home to avoid possible police interactions and problematic ‘unsecured load’ accusations.
Do it. Send er.

A run flat donut from a military deuce and a half works great as a engine support/stabilizer. it's a 6" thick piece of hard assed rubber. I had 2; I made bushings for different things out of them, over the last 20 years, lol.

Yeah, if I go this nuts I'll even take a video, I have a 4k video camera that I can tape to the rearview, lol. Might as well go psycho and viral, lol.

Well I think it would fit. But even the 4.6 weighs more than 2 transmissions. I think the weight will REALLY lower the rear suspension.

Or be the evidence when the engine falls out right in front of the car driving behind you lol
Well... if the police came looking for him for an engine on someones hood, at least he can deny it by saying it couldn't possibly be his because his engine is still safely in the front of his car.

Still weighs less than a 4.6!

Plywood/ 2x4s on top of car, engine strapped to plywood/roof.
Or, maybe a twin mattress between the car and engine, move-mattress-with-your-car-2436329-03-e1e963ff480e48839f7737db78d64c36.jpg

Last edited:

My 2 door Camry Solara had fold down rear seats and a big trunk. One time I used it to haul around 20 boxes of floor planks, close to half a ton. Made the drive just fine, but was a bit sketchy driving with the rear end on the bump stops.

Funny enough, my store is the closest one to you. :rofl:

Well... if the police came looking for him for an engine on someones hood, at least he can deny it by saying it couldn't possibly be his because his engine is still safely in the front of his car.
see it even looks the same! :rofl:

Funny enough, my store is the closest one to you. :rofl:
I didn't know you worked in OR; that's where I grew up. Where your store is used to be one of our tracks for motorcycles, back in the 70's. My electronics store was where fairbanks road hits the turnpike. The Marina by the lake is where we congregated to drink brew, smoke weed, and throw frisbee, lol.They threw us all out of there in the 90's. Fucking gestapo police now.
When I get the red Cougar running, I'll slide up one day, and I'll show you the best spots to eat, if any of them are still there. :) Billy's time out deli is on south illinois ave, and I've known those guys for 50+ years. They're Palestinian Christians, which made them extremely unpopular in isreal, when they emigrated here.

I typed in "Harriman" and it pulled up Lenoir City as the closest store. Lol.

Billy's is stellar. One of my favorites. I wish they had better hours though. 10-5 only on the weekdays isn't conducive to living in Loudon county and working in Knoxville.

The ruby Tuesdays in Lenoir city, at the marina, is the most awesome one. Have din in the bar, at sunset, with the sun going down over the marina is beautiful.

My 302 bare block fit in the back trunk of a Prius. I have also fit the entire rear subframe for my Mondial into the car as well with the seats folded down.

I used the teksid block as a model, and it'll fit. The heads will probably have to come off; but they can ride home in the place the back seat was. This car has JL and racecougars bracing installed in it, as well as the Sport springs, and the reinforced rear uca's that Oscar welded up for me. I can lash the block down hard with the rear stb brace, I think it's welded in. :)

Last edited:
Well that certainly changes the equation, disassembled anything would fit, I’ve had multiple V8 blocks in my trunk at one time or another.

Once again though be prepared for everything to be covered in and stinking of motor oil for the foreseeable future

The trees on your mirror ain’t getting rid of that smell anytime soon.