New here and first Thunder Bird 91 sc

Welcome! And yes I have questions lol

Is it a rebody? Because with the 92-93 LX tapered style side moldings, lack of side ground effects and even the electric red color that wasn’t offered on 91 SCs looks to be the body of a 92-93 LX with all the SC hardware and front and rear bumper covers fitted 🤔

Which is pretty impressive considering it does all look to be there, down to the ARC and Teves II ABS unit

Welcome! Looking forward to your progress.

Welcome! And yes I have questions lol

Is it a rebody? Because with the 92-93 LX tapered style side moldings, lack of side ground effects and even the electric red color that wasn’t offered on 91 SCs looks to be the body of a 92-93 LX with all the SC hardware and front and rear bumper covers fitted 🤔

Which is pretty impressive considering it does all look to be there, down to the ARC and Teves II ABS unit
I'd like to know the story on that too. The engine bay looks too original to have been swapped, but you never know. Overall looks like a sweet rig. Automatic or 5 speed?

Long story, it was originally purchased in 1991 at local dealership as a 91 SC. So the 91sc is a one owner with 128 k orginal miles the body who knows lol

By my buddy’s dad built and worked on any thing from cars , tractors to air planes.
In the early 20s the car is wrecked by my buddy. His dad keeps it and gets two donor cars.
Another sc and a 93 red lx you guess it.
He swaps bodies onto the 91 sc with the lx shell uses some parts off the other sc . And this was born it was driven often until a year ago until his dad passed away.
His dad always said I’d have first option on the car.
So they gave it to me.
It runs good and drives nice , zero leaks. But not perfect it has some issues and needs some maintenance items .
I’m a life long Ford guy but this is my first t bird ever.
I’ve always appreciated the looks and wonder about the sc models.
I know I’m in the right as you guys figured it out before I could explain it .
So maybe it should and 93lx/91sc 😂

Last edited:
Auto , it’s really clean inside and the truck and the motor too.
It’s sat for almost two years we put new gas in it and changed the oil , new battery and it fired right up. Drove it 20 miles on the highway home no issues

Funny note it has the interior of the sc all of it even the hole in the headliner but no sun roof 😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0646.png
    IMG_0646.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Welcome!

Glad to see you made it over here!

Joe

I remember seeing him with it in the garage with the wiring harness in the ground.
The guy was a true master .
But unfortunately he is gone and no notes on the car. Just what his son and remember.
He has a Russia fighter jet shipped to him in peaces. Built it and fly it on weekend for over 25 years.
So I’m sure the bird was just for fun.
My wife calls it Frankinbird

Note sure I could ever sell because it a long and odd sorry.
And not knowing the guy personally I wouldn’t be interested.
But it’s a fun project for now.
once I get safe tires on it I’ll drive it more and see what happens ? Who knows

Interesting story. I can't believe he swapped over the Teves II ABS as well. That is hardcore.
Remember the body was swapped on to the 91 and interior and other features rewired.
I’m still confused because I thought they are unibody frames ?
I know the drivetrain and suspension is the 91 but the rear end and suspension is a 92 sc .
The ride adjust seems to work ? On my drive I put it on firm seemed stiffer but who knows.

These cars have IRS and that frame is bolted to the unibody.

Joe

I’m hoping from pics you guys tell me more ?

I know the side skirts are missing but I kind of like the look without them.

These cars have IRS and that frame is bolted to the unibody.

Joe
That makes sense !

I’ve had a few classic mustangs and 68/70 ford trucks and many more.

Doesn’t seem as big of a market for parts for these cars ?

I really appreciate the info keep it coming.
I’m spending any free time I have learning about them

There are articles on a lot of things; the Wikipaedia article has a bunch of info as well. The big difference with the sc is whether or not it's a stick or auto. Only sc's came with manuals. So they are the most desirable. Where in nevada are you? There are a few members around Las Vegas.

There are articles on a lot of things; the Wikipaedia article has a bunch of info as well. The big difference with the sc is whether or not it's a stick or auto. Only sc's came with manuals. So they are the most desirable. Where in nevada are you? There are a few members around Las Vegas.
Makes sense I would rather have a manual but this is a very unique situation. I wasn’t looking but I adopted it and feel happy to have it.

Reno NV

There's some tech info in the tech articles at the top of the forum, but much of the info isn't targeted to the SC. All the same, there should be a little something for everyone. :)

You'll find these are pretty unique cars, everyone here is as helpful as possible. Scs can have their issues but can be tons of fun. Sccoa.com is another great forum dedicated to the sc, a couple guys over there know about anything you need to know and like here, get back to you pretty quick. With these cars getting rarer we have to help each other out as much as possible. If you own or care about a mn12 then you become part of the family pretty quick.

I appreciate the welcome and support. I’m not a mechanic but I can use a wrench.

Being almost 60 yrs old I wasn’t looking for a project. I actually solid all my projects
But this one I couldn’t say no too.
I knew the dad and saw his work and my buddy his son is good friend.
The mom told me take it and do whatever I want but know dad would be so happy I have it.
Anyways I need to get it smogged before I go further with it.
But I have no plans of letting it go

There's some tech info in the tech articles at the top of the forum, but much of the info isn't targeted to the SC. All the same, there should be a little something for everyone. :)
Thank you and read as much as I can .

I just hope unlike the mustang world the purest of these don’t outcast mods .

We are an accommodating bunch, Most of our cars contain parts from other cars. :) My Red cougar now contains an engine from a 2003 Lincoln Towncar. The guy that built your car was amazing to swap the teves system. You will find few parts for these cars That are an improvement are from mustangs. We do Not have their attitude in any way, lol.

He truly did amazing work on many cars and this was his work car.
He loved it, obvious because of the time he gave to it.

I actually feel lucky to have it and I embrace how unusual it is . I love the fact these cars aren’t the norm.
I love how the car rides , is not fast or quick “ no offense “ but it’s so comfortable and it’s got enough to pass someone or get on the freeway.

Last edited:
Welcome to the family, its good to have another one here. First off, no, we do not outcast any mods, pretty much anything goes because it usually leads to these cars staying around for longer. Second, my two cents is that since your car has been body swapped and is no longer all original, its no museum piece, ( I mean this in the best way possible), which means it won't have "typical" collector value, you should do whatever you like and modify it however you see fit without worry about "ruining" anything. Lastly, if you think the sc isn't that fast, you should try the 3.8L NA like mine (its far slower lol), I dream of having a sc one day. Welcome aboard

The sc is as fast as any of the v-8 engines that were in these. And lighter, so it handles better.

okay didn’t to offend any and so for it’s day an amazing car.
I know way was I trying to be offensive at all.

I’ll be 60 soon so I get to cars in the 90s are all on the same race.

I do not mean to offend anyone

Welcome to the family, it’s good to have another one here. First off, no, we do not outcast any mods, pretty much anything goes because it usually leads to these cars staying around for longer. Second, my two cents is that since your car has been body swapped and is no longer all original, its no museum piece, ( I mean this in the best way possible), which means it won't have "typical" collector value, you should do whatever you like and modify it however you see fit without worry about "ruining" anything. Lastly, if you think the sc isn't that fast, you should try the 3.8L NA like mine (it’s far slower lol), I dream of having a sc one day. Welcome aboard
Obviously I did too .
As I said I’ve liked the bird it’s a beautiful lon luxurious luscious ride

Last edited:
Auto , it’s really clean inside and the truck and the motor too.
It’s sat for almost two years we put new gas in it and changed the oil , new battery and it fired right up. Drove it 20 miles on the highway home no issues

Funny note it has the interior of the sc all of it even the hole in the headliner but no sun roof 😂😂😂
Wow! Has the tweed interior! Nice!

I have two SCs .. my 94 5 speed has been parked for several years but still runs great - my youngest son has been eyeballing it for his "first car" .. 🙄 he's 13 now. If I had it my way, it would be a 400 HP beast with a cam, bigger valves and an upgraded supercharger .. but California smog means it stays all stock for now.

The sc is as fast as any of the v-8 engines that were in these. And lighter, so it handles better.

.. this would be true if you said the SC was actually faster than any of the v8s, and typically more loaded with options ( heavier ) .. the handling is mostly the stiffer springs and better shocks. 😉

Where in Nevada are you? I'm in Las Vegas...