New PRP tuner!

Chingon1

3rd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
97’ thunderbird LX
Country flag
Got the lasato tuning book along with the SCT dongle on Saturday. Since I’m in Cali he didn’t technically sell me a tune, he gave me an “example” tune haha which is a way of them avoiding the emissions stuff here in Cali. Pretty much I’d have to copy and paste it myself.

The tune is for a stock engine with a vortech but it seems like it won’t be perfect.

I believe @XR7-4.6 has experience with this program, I seen you were tuning your trans a while back which is what I’d like to start with. Any pointers?? On my 97 the 1-2 shift happens FAST. It’s like it immediately wants to shift haha.

IMG_5528.jpeg

Got the lasato tuning book along with the SCT dongle on Saturday. Since I’m in Cali he didn’t technically sell me a tune, he gave me an “example” tune haha which is a way of them avoiding the emissions stuff here in Cali. Pretty much I’d have to copy and paste it myself.

The tune is for a stock engine with a vortech but it seems like it won’t be perfect.

I believe @XR7-4.6 has experience with this program, I seen you were tuning your trans a while back which is what I’d like to start with. Any pointers?? On my 97 the 1-2 shift happens FAST. It’s like it immediately wants to shift haha.

I should have that book around here somewhere. Good starting point - but you need to be able to connect the dots as you read because so much of the concepts he covers all work together. The MAF transfer function is where it all starts. Sheesh, I just realize it's been over 12 years since I started tuning!

Matt, myself, Grog, and Mikey I believe are all familiar with tuning. There may be others here as well who have expertise they can share.

Adjusting the behavior of the stock 4R70W is somewhat limited, but you can tweak the converter behavior and adjust the shift/lockup points to your liking. Try to avoid going too crazy with adjusting pressures - there's only so much the tune can do within the confines of the physical characteristics of the hydraulic design of the trans. Some things shouldn't be messed with unless supporting adjustments to the trans have been made.

I should have that book around here somewhere. Good starting point - but you need to be able to connect the dots as you read because so much of the concepts he covers all work together. The MAF transfer function is where it all starts. Sheesh, I just realize it's been over 12 years since I started tuning!

Matt, myself, Grog, and Mikey I believe are all familiar with tuning. There may be others here as well who have expertise they can share.

Adjusting the behavior of the stock 4R70W is somewhat limited, but you can tweak the converter behavior and adjust the shift/lockup points to your liking. Try to avoid going too crazy with adjusting pressures - there's only so much the tune can do within the confines of the physical characteristics of the hydraulic design of the trans. Some things shouldn't be messed with unless supporting adjustments to the trans have been made.

The birds currently got a J-modded kit in it. Which works great! 2-3 shift is not as fast as the 1-2 tho, that’s one thing I’d like to address and just the over all desire of the shift points to want and shift immediately. For sure don’t want to go over board and mess up the drivability, does the program have a feature where you can return it to stock? The trans tune I mean.

Barely reading the book and highlighting whatever seems important. Not going to actually tune it til I throw the vortech on. They gave me a sample tune which I’m assuming I just copy and paste to the program and run it. Obviously still gonna need some fine tuning.

Yeah if you right click on any value and select “reload” it will return the figure to stock. Furthermore any value in blue will indicate it is below(numerically) the stock value and red will indicate it is above.

Trans tuning isn’t too detrimental to screw up really, I was very heavy handed with mine; maxing out line pressure etc. in general harsher shifts are actually less wearing on the transmission itself than stock shifts since there’s less clutch slip.

Engine tuning is more critical especially with boost thrown into the mix, as lean will melt a piston quite quickly. I strongly insist in investing in a wideband before you mess with the vortech, and get a feel for datalogging and tuning from its values while your engine is still NA where it’s relatively “safe”. You don’t want to start your first foray into engine tuning when it’s already got the power adder.

@XR7-4.6 ahh that seems daily easy to return to stock. What do you mean by harsh?? The Jmod in my bird makes the shifts tons faster, would the line pressure add to this?

Also I have an AEM wideband I’m wanting to install when I install the trubendz exhaust. Hopefully soon, can’t do any tuning with out it definitely.

@theterminator93 haha I read about that, does the program give you a graph to work on??

For certain functions and scalars, yes.

You can do some tuning without a wideband - just as long as you use injectors and a MAF that have known flow rates/transfer functions (e.g. the 80mm GT MAF). You can tweak AFR using the STFT and LTFT during closed loop operation - assuming no mechanical gremlins that are throwing them off.

For certain functions and scalars, yes.

You can do some tuning without a wideband - just as long as you use injectors and a MAF that have known flow rates/transfer functions (e.g. the 80mm GT MAF). You can tweak AFR using the STFT and LTFT during closed loop operation - assuming no mechanical gremlins that are throwing them off.
I see what you mean, since I have the wideband I think I’d rather just wait til it’s on there and then get started with the tuning. Also I’ve been told it’s better to ditch the SCT BA2400 MAF I have in favor of a slot MAF style. What do you guys think??

I keep getting this code when trying to start a tune on the SCT program. Seems like I have to wait til SCT opens Monday and get a response from them. Anybody have this problem? Error code 20 dongle problems.

IMG_5593.jpeg

Are you typing CDAN4PR (the strategy) in as the base tune, or using your catch code (e.g. MBE3)? You need to use the latter.

Yea the strategy, that’s the number the handheld gives me in the vehicle info

And this is the 4 digit code on the birds computer, I put this one and it doesn’t recognize it. Ljc1.

Super noob here btw.
IMG_5426.jpeg

I’d try just CDAN4 without the PR as well. But Brandon’s right pro racer should want the LJC1 catch code, not the strategy. Strategy is used for the livelink datalogging

Last edited:
Perhaps you can think of it this way:
Strategy = Operating System running on the computer
Catch code = Program the OS is running

As Matt said you should use LJC1 in the text field when you go to create a new tune. You should have provided that info to the dealer you bought the PRP from, and when they processed the other with SCT they assigned your software serial number and dongle access to that database. Run an update with your dongle connected and see if it downloads and lets you create a new base tune with your database.

I tried using the LJC1 code and it gives me this message. I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be an SCT issue because the dongle is the problem right here. I tried updating a bunch of times and still nothing. I’m gonna have to wait til they answer me on Monday and go from there. Kinda frustrating because I wanted to adjust the trans!! But whatever I’m gonna be patient with it. Thank you guys!!

IMG_5596.jpeg

I tried using the LJC1 code and it gives me this message. I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be an SCT issue because the dongle is the problem right here. I tried updating a bunch of times and still nothing. I’m gonna have to wait til they answer me on Monday and go from there. Kinda frustrating because I wanted to adjust the trans!! But whatever I’m gonna be patient with it. Thank you guys!!

View attachment 7029
Call them first thing in the morning. Remember they’re on east coast time so it’ll be early for you in CA, you have better odds of them picking up, but if not leave a message when prompted, they should still get back to you same day, just sure to have your laptop/dongle on you ready to go for when they do

Also download teamviewer now, it’ll save you some time on the call. They’ll most likely use it to figure things out for you remotely.

Thank you! I can’t seem to find the number tho, seems like they really don’t want to answer phone calls. I figured they mainly reply through email or the chat. I’m gonna download the teamviewer now.

I was hoping it would work right the first time but I guess sometimes thing go wrong.

Last night I put the tuner, and it gives you an option to tune. I guess it has some slight tuning without doing anything. That shit made the bird shift waaayy later haha and it shifts harder too, like you gotta be careful if your drinking water hard. Plus I think m I'm running 87 in the tank because I chose the 91 time and I hear it pinging.

I drove it right now to a hike at Griffith park, didn’t even know til now haha.

I forget which one I called but it’s there. It’s all through derivesystems, they changed the corporate name after the EPA crackdown

Currently at work, but brought my laptop with me and was able to get a hold of somebody at SCT. They were able to help me out and fix the problem I was having.

I was able to start a new tune with the LJC1 code.

Total newb, but how do I go about downloading the current tune 🎶 n the bird and mess with the shifting points? I think there’s videos on YouTube that break that all down but just wanted to ask on here first. Thanks

Currently at work, but brought my laptop with me and was able to get a hold of somebody at SCT. They were able to help me out and fix the problem I was having.

I was able to start a new tune with the LJC1 code.

Total newb, but how do I go about downloading the current tune 🎶 n the bird and mess with the shifting points? I think there’s videos on YouTube that break that all down but just wanted to ask on here first. Thanks

You can’t download the current tune on your cars computer and work on it, only way to work on an existing tune is if you have the file for it, in which case you can select “open tune” on PRP and load it from your PC.

Assuming your PCM is stock, what you see when you start a new tune with your LJC1 catch code is the current tune. :)

Current *stock* tune that is. If you had a custom tune on it before there’s no real way to access that unless you have the value file

I think I mentioned it in the “what did you do” thread” in the x4 it gives you the option “program vehicle” I did that, it asked me a couple of questions such as what fuel, idle rpm and wot shift point. It seem like it gave my bird a slight tune because it holds 1st gear a lot longer and it shifts alot harder too.

my question is how can I work on this current transmission setting?? Is it better if I I go back to stock on the tune on the handheld, then open the advantage and start a new tune with the LJC1 code? And do the tune from a stock calibration?

Or how do I get this current tune, that has been modified by the handheld with the higher shift points and modify it in the software?

Sorry if it doesn’t make sense.

As I said without having the value file that was uploaded to the handheld there’s no way for you to modify it, your only option would be to make changes to the LJC1 database in your pro racer software to mimick it.

Now what you can do to get it close is datalog things like load, throttle position, commanded gear, etc through livelink with the custom tune on the handheld and note those data points to alter the cells in the stock LJC1 tune in pro racer to match.

ahh I think I’m getting what your saying, excuse my ignorance I’m not very tech savvy but willing to learn.
So pretty much in the software when I open the LJC1 database, that’s literally the stock tune for my computer, everything from spark timing to gas, all that?? And from there I’d be able to adjust the transmission setting, everything else would be stock, timing fuel and stuff? Then I’d be able to upload that tune to the handheld then to my bird?

ahh I think I’m getting what your saying, excuse my ignorance I’m not very tech savvy but willing to learn.
So pretty much in the software when I open the LJC1 database, that’s literally the stock tune for my computer, everything from spark timing to gas, all that?? And from there I’d be able to adjust the transmission setting, everything else would be stock, timing fuel and stuff? Then I’d be able to upload that tune to the handheld then to my bird?

Yep you got it 🙂

Hey guys I have a question, for the min TP for the shifts I cant seem to find what the min and max for these values.

Currently they are set to about 140, of what?? How do I know what’s the max throttle position? Or how do I find the values for all the other settings??

IMG_5615.jpeg