New Shift Knob (Automatic)

I was team woodgrain until the view of the cluster bezel. Now I'm not so sure.

I think it creates a bright point in the interior, similar to the chrome door releases. The wood sort of blends in.

20240509_105016.jpg

The silver looks odd against the tan itself.

Does it though? I think it works. Think of Lincoln interiors of the early 2000s; they were full of silver trim regardless of interior color.

2003_lincoln_navigator_4dr-suv_ultimate_i_oem_2_500.jpg

What about painting to match the door cards?

Nah. That would be very similar to the faux suede overlay I started out with. Too much of the same (color).

20240505_153643.jpg

Or the wooden bezel as Matt suggested.

The difficult part would be finding appropriate donor wood in that size.

Does it though? I think it works. Think of Lincoln interiors of the early 2000s; they were full of silver trim regardless of interior color.

View attachment 5521

Early-mid 2000s is what metallic silver interior accents remind me of, and I can’t say I’m a fan of that era at all. Brighter silver especially , which reminds me of the Chrysler interiors of the time

IMG_4988.png

Yuck.

The wood is much more original and visually interesting. I’m with Irv silver looks like a toaster, I had it silver in mine for a spell and never put words to why I got rid of it but that’s it.

Wood works for me precisely for the reason that it does blend in a little, stock black is dull, silver is too bright and wood is just right.

Hmmm. I don't necessarily hate that period. I will say I'd prefer chrome over silver, but I don't hate the silver.

The silver used in car interiors at the time just remind me of cheap boom boxes

1715270481249.jpeg

I don’t hate silver as an accent but not a metallic paint. Simulated or actual metal with brushed, spun etc appearance can richen things up, but metallic silver looks spray bombed no matter the context, it was as cheap to execute for the manufacturers as it looks.

Toasters...boom boxes...what have I done?

I still like it!

But I do have one more idea. Since this is now a completely flat piece, the possibility of leather wrapping comes back into play. I could cover both sides with leather, then baseball stitch through the openings. I may do some testing...