OEM wheel price

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
As I was rebalanced the tires on my 1996 LX yesterday, I was reminded that my rims are all slightly bent. Not horrible, just enough to notice the tire doesn't run completely true when spinning. I believe this is a large contributing factor to my lack of satisfaction with the ride quality (duh).

I really want to keep the OEM look and I've found a place that guarantees them to arrive in new condition. They want $225 each and I'm sure shipping will be added.

I haven't found any aftermarket wheels to my liking that will fit without swapping to Mustang hubs, which I don't want to do.

Wondering what y'all think about the price mentioned above? Any suggestions for Cobra R look-alikes that will fit on the stock hubs? Tires are factory size, 215/70-15...

I have one left and one right '96-97 15" OEM salad shooter wheel (so one axle) that I'd be glad to let go for cheap. They're in good condition. I'd just need to get the ancient tires that are on them right now unmounted.

$225 each is insane, but not unexpected. It's the new condition tax, which I wouldn't pay for these common wheels.

As a point of reference, there's a shop by me that refurbishes wheels (straightening and refinishing) for about $160 each last I checked a few years ago.

Last edited:
If you're wanting to stick to factory size tires, I'd recommend finding a nice used set. Or if you need just one, but one and refurbish or before chasing that tire over. Then refurb the rest as you can. There just aren't good looking 15" wheels for these cars, IMO.

225each is more than many aftermarket replica Mustang wheels(cobra R, Bullitt etc) run brand new shipped to your door from LMR or AM. For the amount extra you’ll end up paying to get a full set of stock wheels for $225ea you could pay for a good chunk of the hubswap and get cheaper cooler wheels.

And yes used is fine.

225each is more than many aftermarket replica Mustang wheels(cobra R, Bullitt etc) run brand new shipped to your door from LMR or AM. For the amount extra you’ll end up paying to get a full set of stock wheels for $225ea you could pay for a good chunk of the hubswap and get cheaper cooler wheels.

And yes used is fine.
The issue is that I want the car to be as stock as possible. Someday it might pay dividends. Not likely, but possible.

Whaaaat? I really like the fan blade style.

I think wheels are $25 at the junkyard. I never pick them up so I don't pay particular attention to their condition, but you can find treasures.

I think he's referring to aftermarket options. Stock is fine, but its not like classic cars where Cragars Torque thrusts an slots grow on trees. The 15" high offset 5x4.25" options are all vary from bleh to yuck.

Got it.

Well, I was thinking OEM because I just never really liked aftermarket wheels unless they're part of an overall custom theme for the entire car.

And I'm not sure here...but aren't Ford wheels of same-era Continental, Taurus, Windstar all a direct fit? Granted, those are probably all 16".

My wheels have really grown on me. At first I was disappointed my car didn't have the fan blade style, but I adjusted.

I've got a pretty decent set of 1st gen SC wheels with hubcaps. I could work out a way to meet you up I-65 if you were interested. I think they have junk tires still mounted. They're 16" though. I'd sell them for $100 and some gas money.

Whaaaat? I really like the fan blade style.

I think wheels are $25 at the junkyard. I never pick them up so I don't pay particular attention to their condition, but you can find treasures.
Sorry, I meant aftermarket don't tend to look good in that size. Chrome fan blades are one of the best stock wheels of the era in 15". These cars are just a couple years before everything had 16" wheels and 17-18" became the sport model norm. IMO 17" is the minimum for aftermarket wheels on these cars. Totally my opinion, everyone's will vary

Sorry, I meant aftermarket don't tend to look good in that size. Chrome fan blades are one of the best stock wheels of the era in 15". These cars are just a couple years before everything had 16" wheels and 17-18" became the sport model norm. IMO 17" is the minimum for aftermarket wheels on these cars. Totally my opinion, everyone's will vary

My really fiery opinion is that unless it’s a name brand aftermarket wheel or a replica of such, factory(style) still looks better. The cheap 17”+ wheels you see at tire stores look just as bad as their 15-16” ones.

Taurus/windstar et al fit but the widths and offsets make these cars look tippy toed, like a railroad truck. The 91-95 SHO slicers are probably the best.

1724619407721.jpeg

Actually I heard these might have been the wheels used had the AWD SC/XR7s made production. The red cougar mule had them anyway.

What was the point of those conversions, since there was a factory convertible?

They started on Capris, which there wasn't a convertible option on, when the Capri was nixxed for 87 ASC/Mclaren switched to mustangs reusing the same hardware. It's a more sophisticated setup than the standard foxbody convertible too with its retractable tonneau cover, its more like a Mercedes SL. Convertibles were a very rare commodity in the 80s and unlike today mostly where that remains there was a genuine market demand since would-be regulations essentially banned the bodystyle only a few years earlier in the 70s. ASC essentially was the convertible in quality what 58-66 Tbirds with their semi-retractable setup was, while regular "factory" Mustang convertibles used a cruder traditional frame with a manually installed vinyl tonneau cover

Technically no foxbody mustang convertibles were factory, Ford outsourced them to Cars & Concepts from 83-93, who converted coupes into verts, before bringing them in house for the SN95 generation.

Last edited:
When I was 4 or 5 we had a White 64 Tbird vert. I don't remember the top as much as I remember getting in trouble for pushing the button when we were going pretty fast, and it getting stuck. :) The butt-busting is the memorable part,lol. I think it was a hardtop, that went in the trunk. no, I found pix. It was a conventional soft top. and the trunk tips up, and it goes into it. ;)

Last edited:
When I was 4 or 5 we had a White 64 Tbird vert. I don't remember the top as much as I remember getting in trouble for pushing the button when we were going pretty fast, and it getting stuck. :) The butt-busting is the memorable part,lol. I think it was a hardtop, that went in the trunk.

It was a soft top but it used a similar folding mechanism to the 50s skyliners, giving the fabric top a much cleaner look. The whole trunk lid lifts up backwards to accommodate it

Can you tell from the price, I don't want to sell the chrome fanblades?
I wanted them for the now wasted tbird. I think I'll wait until taxes are due, and offer him 200 bux for it. :)

Those chrome hubs are even rarer! Nice, Dan. You ever going to get a sc running again?

Those chrome hubs are even rarer! Nice, Dan. You ever going to get a sc running again?

I traded some work on a friend's SC for those wheels. My 94 SC is still running and driveable; I just have not registered the car since 2017 .. 🤔

Cool. I prefer barter. I traded Gordo a 4v blower for the chrome fanblades. They may go on the red cougar; The black one is already rocking chrome mark spirals. The second set, lol.

The issue is that I want the car to be as stock as possible. Someday it might pay dividends. Not likely, but possible.
I get that to some degree, but most/all of the stock 15" wheels look bland to me. You can still find decent deals on good stock wheels. I wouldn't give this guy anywhere near what he is asking, but they are in good shape. I see 16" SC wheels in good shape for cheap fairly regularly.
Keep an eye out and you might find something. Most 15" wheels were probably run into the ground, but you might find somebody that took them off for something different when they were relatively new and just kept them in their garage forever. I certainly wouldn't pay $225 from a reseller for 15" wheels. You might find somebody local that can straighten your wheels too. Search/ask around.

Well I guess the hubswap does somewhat make things committed but I’d also keep in mind a whole lot more muscle cars came with white line tires and full wheel covers(not just the cool “dog dish” kind either) than the 15” magnum 500s, rally wheels etc that is all pretty much seen at the auctions today.

On the subject of hubswap though Do Chrysler A body fans scoff at Darts and Dusters having the small 5x4” pattern they came with converted to the B body 5x4.5” pattern? And those cars are more collectible than the MN12 ever will be

Ive also got a set of the later tbird wheels, and a set of the aluminum 21 spoke cougar wheels