SC intercooler oil leak?

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY Y'all!

I pulled my "ran when parked" 94 5-Speed SC out of the yard and put it on my lift today. This thing sat in the yard for at least 10 years. It's in all sorts of bad shape and needs the entire front suspension and steering rack redone.

Can someone tell me what it means when oil is dripping out of the bottom intercooler/tube connection? Could it be engine oil and if so, how does it get there? I rather suspect it's an internal blower seal leak and the blower oil is seeping out? I really don't have a clue. Hoping someone will enlighten me...

Thank you!

Can someone tell me what it means when oil is dripping out of the bottom intercooler/tube connection? Could it be engine oil and if so, how does it get there? I rather suspect it's an internal blower seal leak and the blower oil is seeping out? I really don't have a clue. Hoping someone will enlighten me...

It's not from the supercharger.

The oil is vaporized inside the crankcase and flows through into the intake. All engines do this. It condenses inside the IC on these cars, so its not uncommon to have oil in the bottom - the fact that it's dripping out is an indication that the lower air charge IC tube is not sealing to the IC as it should be.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear its nothing major. I was actually wondering if it was engine oil but I couldn't visualize a path. I can probably figure out how to seal the intercooler.

Some years ago when my property was very rough, the SC took a hard bump to the bottom of the core support. It bent the bottom pan enough to push the cooling fan shroud into the fan causing a very slow overheat. I suspect this bump probably dislodged the IC tube a bit. I'm sure I can fix it when I pull the core support back.

As far as I know, Dan stopped making them, but it looks like someone else started. If Dan is making them again, get them from him. His were better made than the ones that are now on eBay, but I’m pretty sure he decided years ago that it wasn’t worth it anymore for the few sets he sold. The eBay ones work fine, but aren’t cut as nicely or accurately as Dan’s were, so you might need to spend a little time trimming them to get it to fit just right.

Not my gaskets; I sold all my inventory to the point where i dont even have a spare set for myself. The seller on Ebay is Speedwagen from SCCOA - he copied my older designs back in 2006 and my old spec with the thinner .06" material. They will work just fine, or as an alternate .. RTV works just as good.

FWIW - those $33 gaskets used to cost $15 - I priced mine at $22.50 w/ free shipping because the .125" Teflon was 4x the cost of the. 06" .. I sold those ones for $12 a set originally.

Bill from SCP wanted to buy my templates or make me an exclusive provider years ago - I couldn't imagine how much he'd mark them up and I declined the propositon.