Thunderbird to Mustang Hub and Brake Swap

The Cobra front discs are 13". I don't remember what the stock MN12 fronts are since I haven't had them for 22 years. 10.5"?

PBR (non-Cobra) is 10.8".

I'l go thru the whole process. A press is really needed, but there are tools that can do it.
Front wheels. PBR calipers, either cobra(17(corrected)"wheels required) or 2004 mustang gt. (Works with 15" wheels.)
2004 mustang gt hubs.14"mustang gt disks

This seems to contradict a lot of what I wrote in the first post and which people told me was accurate. Are you describing a different style of front hub swap, using different terms for the same thing, or am I missing something?

I thought you needed 94-04 generic Mustang hubs, not 2004 GT hubs specifically. And that the fronts use 13" rotors for 94-04 Cobras, not 14" GT ones.

Looking at this, the PBR upgrade seems to be completely different than what I want to do:

Sorry, but your post just confused me more.

If someone wouldn't mind taking a quick look at my first post, could they tell me if I have the right parts listed? I'm about to take my car out of town to a friends to try and add on everything listed, and I don't want to find out I have a bunch of stuff that doesn't work after I take everything apart.

The 99-04 GT/V6 caliper "upgrade" just gives you more pad swept area. I'm not a real big fan of the 99-04 GT/V6 calipers in general. Just because they say PBR on them and they have two pistons doesn't make them awesome. I think either 38mm or 40mm dual piston Cobra caliper is an excellent upgrade.

This seems to contradict a lot of what I wrote in the first post and which people told me was accurate. Are you describing a different style of front hub swap, using different terms for the same thing, or am I missing something?

I thought you needed 94-04 generic Mustang hubs, not 2004 GT hubs specifically. And that the fronts use 13" rotors for 94-04 Cobras, not 14" GT ones.

Looking at this, the PBR upgrade seems to be completely different than what I want to do:

Sorry, but your post just confused me more.

If someone wouldn't mind taking a quick look at my first post, could they tell me if I have the right parts listed? I'm about to take my car out of town to a friends to try and add on everything listed, and I don't want to find out I have a bunch of stuff that doesn't work after I take everything apart.
What you have documented in your first post under the front hub swap section is correct.

PBR manufactured the front calipers for both the Cobra and the New Edge Mustang. A PBR caliper swap refers to the latter though. The other is known as the Cobra caliper swap.

Last edited:
@Grog6 gets hung up on 2004s because that year (and 03) calipers shares coarse banjo bolts with our cars but he doesn’t seem to take into account you can just buy new fine thread banjo bolts if they don’t match.

As far as Cobra fronts are concerned everything 94-04 is compatible with our cars. Only exception is 94-98 calipers use 38mm pistons, 99-04s use 40mm pistons, same pads though.

GT/V6 twin piston PBRs were 99-04 only, 94-98 GTs and V6s use the same calipers 93-97 MN12s use

Thanks guys for the clarifications.

I always mention it because I had to order a set from RA or tasca, and wait almost two weeks for them. the ones I ordered did not match, or come with them. :)
Is there any reason I can't treat these new calipers like a rifle covered with cosmoline, to clean all the oil off so I can paint them properly? That's pretty much, crawling into a hot shower with a bottle of dawn. And the items to clean. I can block the fitting holes.

Last edited:
I always mention it because I had to order a set from RA or tasca, and wait almost two weeks for them. the ones I ordered did not match, or come with them. :)
Is there any reason I can't treat these new calipers like a rifle covered with cosmoline, to clean all the oil off so I can paint them properly? That's pretty much, crawling into a hot shower with a bottle of dawn. And the items to clean. I can block the fitting holes.
With the OK from my admin, I've stuck consmoline soaked AK stocks in the dishwasher before (at my old office) to get rid of decades of cosmoline before... maybe don't do that.

I doubt splashing water (vs soaking) would get water past the phenolic pistons, but part of me woudl think that maybe using some duct tape to insure that face of the calipers isn't exposed to water.

I think the "proper" way would be full disassembly including piston removal -- that's what you'd do to prep for powdercoating.

Some people just spray paint everything while still on the car: calipers, rotors, tires, whatever.

I think the "best solution" lies somewhere between these two extremes.

Q: If not powdercoating, what are you planning to painnt your calipers with? Spray paint? POR15 makes a high temp epoxy paint product you brush on targeted to calipers. While I don't have street miles on the paint yet, I used POR15 to coat parts of my project frame that I cannot easily remove AND have been pretty impressed with its durability.

If you prep right spray paint can be pretty damn durable, for a component as small as a caliper in particular. Don’t bother with “caliper paint” engine enamels work just as well

Just got back from putting on some parts and the mechanic said "oh, by the way, one of the axle nuts had trouble coming off, so we had to replace it". And he seem surprised when I told him "Dorman, right?".

He said the new one went on fine, but I'm worried some damage has been done and I have to get back in there in a couple of weeks to do my hub swap. So, knowing that one of the garbage design Dorman nuts is now on there, what does that mean for future work?

Don't take it off unless you have to; it does all the wear during removal. The rear is three pieces in a cage, so I bend the cage off, and remove the 3 nuts individually. That way there is no wear to the spindle or axle. I don't want to have to search for a spindle if I change the bearings three times.

She's gonna want equal spending. :)
How much were the lines from classic tube? I bought mine thru ian.

I spoke to a guy named Jeffrey. The full set was 171 US, plus the usual "personally carried to you by the Dalai Lama" shipping charge to Canada.