Well, I broke it. :)

So if full speed was 90 and it blew at 70...i mean that's almost at its peak there would be the same as sustained 120 in a v8 or SC bird.....
My Firebird has a 3.8 and 5 speed. It gets up to the 120 speed limiter surprisingly quickly. They have a good amount of torque for a small engine

I learned why Oscar added the drainback kit to his engine, lol.

Poor Lazarus got one hell of a run in 2020. It ran all the oil out the intake thruu the pcv and oil seperator, which is still full of oil, lol.Sustained high rpms on a 4.6 does this. I didn't realize how fast. So what is 6000r's in 4th, with a 3.27, cant do math since the stroke worth a damn.
So sorry about Lazarus. Oil separator? I didn't know these cars had them? I s this something you added?

I wouldn't be sorry for Grog .. this is a precursor to the DOHC swap. 😉
I saw the dohc heads today. :) I brought one in to start assembling it. :)
I always was under the impression it was the valve seats leaded fuel was needed for on old engines, later engines switched to hardened seats after it was outlawed, while the cylinder wear was due to the frequent fuel wash from carburetor.

A 351C would be really cool, IMO it's the best OHV V8 Ford engineered (slightly copying the big block Chevy)
Sealing in general was helped by the lead additive. Rings and valves, and also raised the detonation temperature. But is toxic as fuck. It's that tan powder you see in old engines. Actually, most of you have probably never seen that, which is a good thing.
Yes the lead is primarily for the valves .. carbed engines in general need a rebuild every 100k.
This was the thing I love about the 4.6. Rebuilding an injector is so much easier than a holley, or rochester, lol.
So I was fortunate today; I found an undamaged crank!!
It's the npi crank out of the red cougars engine. As soon as I get the red cougar running, I can yank Lazarus' engine, get it on a stand, The crank was the big holdup. I'm going to measure all the journals, but it looks great, for 233k miles.
I have 4 sets of rods; two mark sets, and a npi set. And a manley h beam set. :)
The pistons I have are 3cc; it will be a high compression engine.
I'll look at the ones that come out of laz's engine; one of the redcougar pistons has divots out of the top, from being driven 60 miles while making contact with a valve. :)
:)

Last edited:
Dang, why have I not thought of this????
A 93 to 98 Lincoln mark motor sells cheap here. A 99 Continental might have xr3e cams; but it definitely has the C heads. A mark dohc, with a mach 1 intake will clear the hood, so no holes. Look at Matt's build thread; he led the way. He has the ultimate mn12, imho.

The frankenbuild I'm going to go for is much easier. New bearings, new valve stem seals, Mark pistons,manley rods, pi cams, kooks headers, reuse the pi intake it has on it, It already has an 02 maf. I have a rebuilt alt and starter for it. It's trans was rebuilt in '17, and has maybe 50k miles on it.

Ever try to da a hood, when you have the muscle tone of overcooked pasta, lol.
This is going to be a long winter. :)

Ever try to da a hood, when you have the muscle tone of overcooked pasta, lol.
This is going to be a long winter. :)
With that cost list, it might be a cold winter. I wish you the best of luck and think of us with a grin that still have an OEM 3.6l V6...

I got a chuckle thinking of how you explained all you will be doing to the engine and thought of how Tim Allen used to react when describing a monster car engine. :)

:) I bought bearings years ago, as well as all the other parts I listed, it's all ready to go.
I need to disassemble the npi heads on Lazarus, and lap valves and replace the seals.
These engines dont seem to wear cylinders badly at all. The Mark block had 158kmi on it when I bought it , it measures still within factory specs to ship. So did the og red cougar block, at 233kmi.

I had a 76 Maverick with a 302 blow a piston completely apart and I drove it a good 4 or 5 miles home literally blowing smoke rings out the exhaust and the engine sound like really angry midgets beating on metal trash can lids with ball pin hammers.... Looking back at that now it's hilarious but man I was pissed back then.
When my dad and I pulled the oil pan off there where chunks of piston everywhere and the cylinder wall looked like a 2 old had been coloring...... It was bad but it got me home some how... Wish I still had that car

I found the photos from when I stuck the throttle on Lazarus. Now the carnage!
DSC01487.JPGDSC01487.JPGDSC01485.JPG

IIRC, these three pix are the three wheels I broke. :)

Last edited:
There is a chunk out of the first one, the second is cracked at the lug nut hole, and the third has a chunk out of the inside.
Bad driver's motor mount, held butterfly open, sent sideways into an intersection at wot.

I spent yesterday pulling the inlet and 02 maf over to the red Cougar; I'm tempted to move the fuel rail over, as the one on the red car is full of dirt dobbers. it's either pull it and wash it, or swap it.

The rail I got from the yard had to be flushed out before I could use it.

No, Lazarus got totalled the first time by a lady passing over the top of a hill at 60, in a 25 zone while I was turning in.
had to replace the rear right wheel, control arms, and associated stuff. I had the body bent back into shape , beat the quarter panel back into shape with the BFH.

Jeez! I'm going to sleep good tonight. I spent the day in the garage, working on the red cougar. I got the inlet tube wired in, (6 pin maf), the radiator set in place, I have to order new hoses, for a Mustang. I can't find the hoses I ordered 10 years ago, or the top brackets I modded.
It's a 3 row aluminum Cobra radiator. I added the pigtail for the cobra radiator fan, and started running big wires for thebatt relocation

I did sleep good, lol. Ive been out all day running wires. I ordered the parts for the red car, And the parts for this laptop, lol. I'm having to use the on screen keyboard to fix my posts, lol. no h,g or' on the laptop ,lol. Kittys rule, but they're hard on hardware, or anything that draws your attention away from them, lol.

I was just blaming the misspellings on the stroke, but you can blame the cat also.

This laptop is one I bought off a co worker, its 15 years old now. I got my money's worth, lol.

Anyone have a set of radiator brackets? The ones I modded are gone.

This laptop is one I bought off a co worker, its 15 years old now. I got my money's worth, lol.
I ended up replacing both of my computers with new ones, well... used, a few years old. But I checked that they would run Win 11 before buying them. Of course, the monster workstation I bought said "will run win 11"... liars. I did not know how to find out or what it really means when if fails win 11. All it means is when HP, Dell or Microsoft was testing the computer that is not supposed to work on Win 11 is that 51% of that model tested had failed to run Win 11. Mine was only a few years old so I did some research and found a way to work around it. The machine has NEVER failed since using Win11 (some 8-9 months?). the one I bought for my wife, I verified first before purchase that it was win11 compatible.

The computers I replaced are easily 10+ years old. Still work great on Win 10~

I loaded win 10 on one computer; it sux compared to win 7 which I'm using on most others. I have removed edge multiple times, and it keeps coming back like a persistent virus from the 90's. I have computers running win 95 and xp too, I just don't put them on the web. they're on a network not connected to the web, but can still see each other.
Fun fact; they skipped win 9 because they couldn't keep it from loading win 95 drivers, lol.
Xp is still the best.

I still have a hard drive with a working install of win 3.11 in the basement; it has my old programming suite on it. I can compile from Macro Assembler, C , pascal, and Fortran. And write a program that used all those languages into one executable. The closest modern version is on another computer,Win xp32 with Microsoft's Visual studio, Enterprise architect version, that I last used to write a device driver for XP In '~99

Makes me think I should have kept my old XP machine just so we could use PhotoShop on it. Now they own you, you don't own the software, license or data. Damn sad if you ask me.

Corporate greed.