Wet under carpet

JacobM03

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0
Country flag
My car seems to always have the floor wet, I pulled the carpet up and the insulation is soaked and floor pans wet, I had dried it out and used a dehumidifier and it just seems to get wet again after a while.

I had got my rockers redone when I had got the car and it seemed like a hack job, would it be possible there is a drain blocked or my weather stripping is bad?

Where is it getting wet at? A fairly common problem is the seal around the air intake vent under the passenger side wiper cowl cover, and water leaks through and drips onto the floor through the blower motor housing.

Where is it getting wet at? A fairly common problem is the seal around the air intake vent under the passenger side wiper cowl cover, and water leaks through and drips onto the floor through the blower motor housing.
I know it is for sure soaked under passenger carpet foot well and behind/under the seat, I was feeling that up today, ill check to make sure tomorrow about driver side.

Good chance that the air intake under the cowl panel is leaking. The factory sealant is notorious for cracking and letting water past. This would also be the location (passenger front floor) that would get wet if the heater core were leaking. If you're not smelling/losing coolant then it's probably not that.

20230407_192702.jpg

Good chance that the air intake under the cowl panel is leaking. The factory sealant is notorious for cracking and letting water past. This would also be the location (passenger front floor) that would get wet if the heater core were leaking. If you're not smelling/losing coolant then it's probably not that.

View attachment 5188
Ill check that out, what would you reseal it with? Black rtv?

I have used black RTV in the past and it worked. I recently stripped the engine bay for paint and when I reinstalled it I used 3M urethane seam sealer.

I hope someone can chime in and say this is a coincidence, but I had less of an issue with this when I started cracking my window 1/3 of an inch and relying on a rain visor instead. When I first got the bird I had spent like 1-2 years using crystals to collect moisture and drop them into a little pan

The other difference is that I park it sheltered now

I have used black RTV in the past and it worked. I recently stripped the engine bay for paint and when I reinstalled it I used 3M urethane seam sealer.
Looks like someone hacked into it already and siliconed the bottom of a jug there for some reason?
0930DBDC-67AA-40A6-82AD-10E75A75B98D.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
I had the same problem. Wet under/on the sides of the passenger seat. Turns out my sunroof drain hose was kinked inside the rocker panel and also clogged. Also the drain holes in the rear rocker panels (drilled in the metal) were clogged, so any water that would come from the drain hoses would stay in the rocker panels where the hoses drain.

You said that the rocker repair on your car was a hack job, so it is very possible that they didn't drill new drain holes on the rocker panels (depending on how much of the rocker panels they replaced, it could be just clogged). Idk if you have a sunroof but if you do, I think that is your problem.

You can reach the sunroof drains by removing the rear speakers, you don't have to remove anything else (on a 89 sc atleast). If I remember correctly you should be able to feel or see if there is water inside your rocker panel through the speaker hole.

Attachments

• Leak.jpeg
    Leak.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Drain.jpeg
    Drain.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 12
I have the same problem just wondering is just taking off the cowl panel is all that needs to be down? plua where cn I get a replacemnt cowl panel ?

Welcome. :)

Cleaning it out is a logical first step, but you might find some crack repair (e..g silicone application) is warranted. If you need any replacement parts, the only places to find them would be from a salvage yard or someone parting out a car.

Cleaning it out is a logical first step, but you might find some crack repair (e..g silicone application) is warranted. If you need any replacement parts, the only places to find them would be from a salvage yard or someone parting out a car.
the factory sealent was nearly completely gone I took a wire brush and a paint scrapper and took the rest off and used RTV black seallent to put around it. now for the question that could mean I live or die my wife and I couldn't get all the round to the back side is there a way to reach it ? Because if so my wife will kill me because she did alot of the work and if she has to take the cowl off again I am dead!!! In a wheelchair here although back in the 2000's I would climb on top of the engine to do some work was doing ok until I fell off the engine LOL She was pissed after that.

I took the entirety of the debris shield out and applied sealant to the bottom and sides, then reinstalled it. I used copious amounts of sealant on both the bottom of the shield and the top of the surface upon which it sat, so it sealed well.

I pulled mine out completely as well. There's a lip on the sheet metal where it sits. I cleaned and painted it then put a thick bead of 3M seam sealer on and squished it down.

4.jpg

3.jpg

I took the entirety of the debris shield out and applied sealant to the bottom and sides, then reinstalled it. I used copious amounts of sealant on both the bottom of the shield and the top of the surface upon which it sat, so it sealed well.
And how would I do that? Does it simply come out if you pull on it? Mindful that my wife is doing most of the work and the hood is still on the car?

Basically yes, the hood doesn’t need to come off or anything drastic, just the black plastic cowl piece.

It might be a pain in the ass to get out, especially if you've already attempted a re-seal. I'd leave it as-is and see if it's sealed. If not, then pull it out. You can just lift the hood, remove the wiper arm and the upper cowl panel.

It might be a pain in the ass to get out, especially if you've already attempted a re-seal. I'd leave it as-is and see if it's sealed. If not, then pull it out. You can just lift the hood, remove the wiper arm and the upper cowl panel.
Well we already odered some cowls online and once we take them off again might as well try could just use a razor and slice through the RTV don't really wat it leaking anymore because it has been leaking for years

I pulled mine out completely as well. There's a lip on the sheet metal where it sits. I cleaned and painted it then put a thick bead of 3M seam sealer on and squished it down.

View attachment 5738

View attachment 5739
were there tabs or something that were holding it in place? I tried to pull it out and thought that maybe to was welded on the back side

With as many yrs they made our TBirds and Cougars with a body style that really didn't change alot, I'm surprised that a parts catalog company hasn't started putting out a catalog for them like they have for all the old Ford cars I currently own and have owned... I mean they have a catalog for the 80-96 F150 and 90's Mustangs now..... i think it's time for a catalog for our cars.

With as many yrs they made our TBirds and Cougars with a body style that really didn't change alot, I'm surprised that a parts catalog company hasn't started putting out a catalog for them like they have for all the old Ford cars I currently own and have owned... I mean they have a catalog for the 80-96 F150 and 90's Mustangs now..... i think it's time for a catalog for our cars.

It's just economys of scale, Those F series trucks and Fox Mustangs have a huge year span but they're also really popular and had a pretty decent survival rate. Box Crown Vics ran a long cycle too between 79-91 but you don't see NPD catalogs for them either.

MN12s unfortunately just don't extend beyond a niche, there's been little blips of exposure here and there but really if someone discovers the chassis from social media or whatever finding one in even passable shape is next to impossible without patience. So many of them got crushed in the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if of the million+ combined MN12 Tbirds and Cougars built there's only 10-20% left.

Well, according to the DOT, 2022 there were 100m automobiles registered in the US (compared to 173m trucks). I don't think there's a way to drill down to see details on make/model/year though.

Well... I know when I was in high school, my first car was a '66 Ford Falcon... at that time it was 28 yrs old and any parts catalogs for falcons only covered the '60-'65 model yrs. Completely ignoring the final '66-'70 model yrs.... but now, all Falcon parts catalogs cover all of them, '60-'70. So, maybe one of these days. 🤞

Well... I know when I was in high school, my first car was a '66 Ford Falcon... at that time it was 28 yrs old and any parts catalogs for falcons only covered the '60-'65 model yrs. Completely ignoring the final '66-'70 model yrs.... but now, all Falcon parts catalogs cover all of them, '60-'70. So, maybe one of these days. 🤞

Those Falcons have a very large amount of commonality with 66-71 Fairlanes and Torinos which helps

My 63 tbird was the same way. I spent a lot of time scouring JY's for stuff Thankfully, the napa store at the end of my street had a genius parts counter guy. I wasted a rear drum, and they were available for everything BUT a 62-63.

That was the reason I sold the 66 Falcon I bought around that time you did, not a lot of parts available.

Joe

That was the reason I sold the 66 Falcon I bought around that time you did, not a lot of parts available.

Joe

The internet really improved knowledge with those cars, I still harbor a fantasy build idea of making an Australian GT tribute out of a 4 door. I love the looks of them, those Falcons have a nice combo of brutalism and cute the earlier ones lack. Same as my type of women :tongue:

My buddy's 4 door 6 cyl outran a bunch of cops, a couple of times :)