What is so special about the rear backing plate on a rear disc setup...

GRWeldon

5th Gear Poster
Country flag
... that it requires 3 hex bolts with torn socket inside the hex...and that they seem to be lock-tited in? Mine was looking a bit crusty so I figured I'd remove it, clean it up and repaint it.

NO GO! Although I could get them to turn a bit, they were so tight I thought they might break so I carefully tightened them back up and decided to leave the plate in place.

Is there something behind the plate that requires such measures to keep it in place?

They are lock-tited in place too. I use heat and an impact to get them out, then hit them on the wire wheel to clean up the threads before putting them back in with some anti-seize.

Is there a generic replacement backing plate that would fit? I was thinking about replacing mine, but had decided to leave them off.

I'd also like to replace a couple. I had one start rubbing on the tbird, and it got ejected one morning on the way to work. :)

Honestly off seems fine, I kept mine on only because the backing plates I have are in surprisingly good condition, but there are cars that don’t even come with backing plates at all.

As far as generics, nothing I imagine would fit without at the very least clearancing for the caliper and positioning/drilling the bolt holes, it’s a pretty specific design. It wouldn’t be rocket science to make your own out of sheetmetal either, it’s not like they’re a balanced moving part

Someone with a metal shop could turn these out cheap. metal cutter, bead roller, edge roller .

Those bolts were a bitch to get a ratchet on.

Last edited:
I got reminded today I’m a cheapskate… when I said I changed to shorter bolts I meant to say I took a cutoff wheel to the stock ones, apparently 😆
That's exactly what I would have....I mean WILL do! As far as getting a ratchet on them, I couldn't get any socket/ratchet combo to fit except for my 1/4 drive, but I wasn't about to use it. I ended up with an offset box-end wrench and it was even tight...