Classifieds and Auctions Thread

Here is a 96 pearl white Cougar on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/226109563217

Looks in okay shape and has a sunroof. Has lots of cracks in paint from probably city life. I'd look go look at it if it was closer.

Also it has red reverse light lenses :unsure:

Last edited:
Also it has red reverse light lenses :unsure:

How they’re supposed to be

Dear lord.

@Kidd-7
I just came here to post that one... The chrome trim on it (as well as everything else) looks perfect.

Wonder what reason it was not driven all these years? Also it appears to have V8 and power antenna as the only options, it's fairly base model to be stored away and preserved. :unsure:

"AutoCheck found 27 records for this 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe"
Not sure how AutoCheck is formatted. 25 instances or so of registration renewal?

It's a beautiful car, but like most all other low mileage cars that otherwise wouldn't be all that valuable, what are you going to do with it? If you drive it you lose any perceived value due to the low miles. Do you just park it in your garage and look at it from time to time? That doesn't seem like much fun. I think if you buy this car you compare its price to a similar (which doesn't exist anymore) new car and I guess you are getting a deal, but if you are going to do that I guarantee you could get something similar (maybe not 296 miles similar) for way less money. The only other way this makes sense is if has been your lifelong dream to own an ultra low mileage '97 Cougar to park in your garage.

what are you going to do with it?

Exactly!

My problem would be: I love modifying my car. But with this, the whole value proposition is that it's all original. I would literally want to destroy that value proposition.

The whole fun with these cars is driving them. And with this, driving it, again, destroys the value.

As a collector's item, sure, it's great. But who would be that collector?

It almost makes me sad that someone bought this and did not drive it...

We could submerge it into a resin and bury it for the next era of man

This listing was a better 'garage scuplture.' Freakin gorgeous

I would love to experience a new MN12. I see what yall are saying about getting something with more miles though. I was very upset when I was 1 day too late to get a 45,000 mile example of a tan 96 Tbird for 5K. There isnt' any room for cold feet

Dear lord.
You were spot on until you called 40 series bad sounding mufflers.

You were spot on until you called 40 series bad sounding mufflers.
I just hate all Flowmasters. Every time I hear a New Edge Mustang drive past with its Flowmasters buzzing, I want to kick a puppy.

I never got the Flowmaster hate beyond being a conform to nonconformity internet thing. It’s all subjective, I know a lot of people love Borlas and whatnot(straight through) but they’re a solid meh for me, I don’t like that drowning underwater burble they give at all.

Flowmasters always sound good on V8 mustangs I hear them on, most legitimate criticism I understand is the drone aspect

There is the drone in the original flows, but the delta flow made that much better. They do cost power of you have a high RPM engine, but for sounds on a 400 or less HP V8, it can't be beat. I won't run them on my car for that very reason, but if it were sounds alone that mattered it would be 40's all day

I have named this one Texas Red (it is in Dallas Texas, and very red)
tx red.jpg

A '96 XR7 with a heap of extra parts.
texas red parts.jpg
Matt, Those fender guards would fit right on your '94. :)

One thing I found odd was the seller said the car had a "v8 4.8L 302 option Automatic" ... not sure about that.
Is that seat cloth material factory? I had not seen that pattern. I could be wrong, but it looks like it is also on the sunroof cover.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/lake-dallas-1996-mercury-cougar-xr7/7744316519.html

Last edited:
Seats are factory. That cloth was offered in the facelift Cougars. The red one I posted earlier has them too.

The sunroof appears to be aftermarket.

I have named this one Texas Red (it is in Dallas Texas, and very red)
View attachment 5721

A '96 XR7 with a heap of extra parts.

The chrome fender trim looks better on that Cougar than others I have seen. Probably the chrome Cobra wheels making it blend in and match.

Most of the time you see it with the stock worn out 15-16" aluminum wheels. That gives the car a "couldn't afford chrome wheels so got this gaudy trim instead" look.

The chrome fender trim looks better on that Cougar than others I have seen. Probably the chrome Cobra wheels making it blend in and match.

Most of the time you see it with the stock worn out 15-16" aluminum wheels. That gives the car a "couldn't afford chrome wheels so got this gaudy trim instead" look.

They give me “grandpa got scammed with add-ons at the car dealer” vibes.

That car’s gorgeous, but those need to get peeled off ASAP

Every pos mustang I see has cheezy-assed flowmaster mufflers on it.I much prefer the cheap $25 ones my muffler shop sells. I was going to use magnaflow, but I bought the wrong ones.

Every pos mustang I see has cheezy-assed flowmaster mufflers on it.I much prefer the cheap $25 ones my muffler shop sells. I was going to use magnaflow, but I bought the wrong ones.
A lot of the cheap mufflers out there are flowmaster clones. I don’t see myself buying flowmaster because being in the rust belt I think aluminized mild steel for exhausts sucks, but I’ll take chambered over straight through in sound any day

We use salt here some, and I have to drive into knoxville if I want to work. (I wish I could. my days as an R&D engineer, at the edge of science are over. I did some good work; they're still selling shitloads of the last detector I designed in 2007. :) There are over a million of them out there, and I achieved a 0.01%aql level. Now, I'm learning to use a flat screwdriver, and wishing I could cook successfully. :)
Aluminized steel here rusts like crazy if you don't wash it off immediately. I always drove thru the wash after work. The mandrel bent stuff holds up pretty well if you do that. But you have to do it every day.

Love the 91s, all the good stuff of the 89-90 supercharged ones with V8 noises. Only shortcoming is the lack of 5 speed option. Electric red is sexy too

Guess I hit a nerve.

Ha, curious to see if Jeff the Admin comes out of his hole and actually does his job! 🤔

Guess I hit a nerve.
I guess you did!

Joe

Guess I hit a nerve.

He sounds like someone from Highlands Ranch. Probably has a Tesla that’ll burn his house down someday, don’t sweat it.