Front and Rear Springs and Shocks Recommendations

KevinVarnes

4th Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Country flag
No, not the usual discussion about what front struts we can modify to fit our cars. I'll save that for another thread. The springs and shocks on the '97 are bone stock original as far as I know and while the handling isn't terrible, they do have a ton of miles on them. Fortunately for them, they lived their first 22 years out West where I assume all of the roads are as smooth as glass (at least compared to the roads here).

Doing some research it seems that no one has anything bad to say about the SCP QA1 front coilovers. In fact everyone seems to love them. I know there are concerns about no bellows which I plan to address.

Parameters for the car are it can't ride like a covered wagon. My wife drives this most of the time and we live in Michigan so I do not want to overlook ride/comfort. That said, it would be nice to lower it a touch (maybe 1") and I wouldn't be averse to some improvement in handling. A firm, but not bone rattling ride would be acceptable.

So, my thoughts were SCP QA1 front coilovers with either 400# or 450# springs (open to suggestions here). That at least seems to be a good starting point. When I first saw them I thought they were ridiculously expensive, but if their performance is good and the shocks themselves can actually be replaced and/or rebuilt then that is a positive in my book.

For the rear I was going to go with the Vogtland 1" springs. These seem to be the only real option anyway so why not. Yes, I know I need to purchase the complete set and that is okay with me. Now, rear shocks. There are the usual Monroe/Gabriel/KYB which don't really excite me. Then there are the obligatory Cobra IRS rear shocks. I'm good with spending money on quality parts, but let's be real. I don't a set of $1k rear shock absorbers. I believe the Bilstein B6 (heavy duty) shocks would probably be the most compliant of what is available (yes I know Koni adjustables and QA1 adju$$tables are also available).

The only thing that I'm not sure of on the Bilsteins is gunn's post from October:
If you want a daily, DONT go with the bilstein setup (Cobra rear shocks, DIY Mitsu 300GT inserts). IMO, its WAAY too rough for the street
I am assuming he was referring to the B8 (sport) Bilsteins here, but I'm not sure.

I don't really want to go to the QA1 rear coilovers for reasons that have been discussed here and elsewhere previously (single shear lower bolt, putting all the weight of the car onto what was previously just a shock mount, etc.)

So, opinions? I'd love to hear from those with experience. I know several here have used one or the other.

Honestly the cobra rear shocks seem egregious to me, I’ve had tokico blues back there for ages and for a long time had eventual plans to “upgrade” to to bilstiens because it was so well touted, but why? 5/8 the weight is on the nose of these, and I don’t feel any handling or ride issues coming from the BACK.

I have the Bilstein HD (B6) all around, including the fronts Bilstein manufactured for the MN12. I guess what would be helpful is knowing what constitutes too rough for the street. I'm not a great judge of that for others when I also got the same suspension setup in my Lexus. If I could respond today to a former coworker from many jobs ago who said back when I bought the Lexus that it must ride like a dream, I'd say, "Sure, if your dreams are filled with adrenaline."

The problem with me offering any suggestions is that I've had the Bilsteins on the Thunderbird since 2002, the fronts are custom valved for increased compression and rebound, and I haven't rode in anyone else's stock suspension MN12 since then. I don't remember the first three years of running stock shocks anymore. In addition, I also have all UHMW bushings in the rear subframe and control arms. My solution is to simply not drive on shitty roads, but I'm guessing that isn't a realistic option in Michigan.

Since Bilstein does offer custom valving, I would imagine you could get them to customize the Cobra rears to be more compliant.

Honestly the cobra rear shocks seem egregious to me, I’ve had tokico blues back there for ages and for a long time had eventual plans to “upgrade” to to bilstiens because it was so well touted, but why? 5/8 the weight is on the nose of these, and I don’t feel any handling or ride issues coming from the BACK.
I thought my only other option besides the Cobra shocks are Thunderbird Monroe level quality. Are you talking about the D-Spec Tokico's? I guess at that price point they would be competing with the adjustable Koni's which still seem to be somewhat available. At least MM has them.

I have the Bilstein HD (B6) all around, including the fronts Bilstein manufactured for the MN12. I guess what would be helpful is knowing what constitutes too rough for the street. I'm not a great judge of that for others when I also got the same suspension setup in my Lexus. If I could respond today to a former coworker from many jobs ago who said back when I bought the Lexus that it must ride like a dream, I'd say, "Sure, if your dreams are filled with adrenaline."

The problem with me offering any suggestions is that I've had the Bilsteins on the Thunderbird since 2002, the fronts are custom valved for increased compression and rebound, and I haven't rode in anyone else's stock suspension MN12 since then. I don't remember the first three years of running stock shocks anymore. In addition, I also have all UHMW bushings in the rear subframe and control arms. My solution is to simply not drive on shitty roads, but I'm guessing that isn't a realistic option in Michigan.

Since Bilstein does offer custom valving, I would imagine you could get them to customize the Cobra rears to be more compliant.
I get that. Just like how loud or quiet your exhaust is. I agree it is difficult to quantify. I have Bilsteins all around on my Crown Vic and I thought they were actually too soft. Not sure what version they are, but I am assuming similar to the Heavy Duty or B6.

I thought my only other option besides the Cobra shocks are Thunderbird Monroe level quality. Are you talking about the D-Spec Tokico's? I guess at that price point they would be competing with the adjustable Koni's which still seem to be somewhat available. At least MM has them.

I get that. Just like how loud or quiet your exhaust is. I agree it is difficult to quantify. I have Bilsteins all around on my Crown Vic and I thought they were actually too soft. Not sure what version they are, but I am assuming similar to the Heavy Duty or B6.

Tokico Blues, which haven’t been made in quite a few years. They’re basically the equivalent of factory Sport shocks

Ah right. So I might as well roll the dice with the B6 shocks and see how they feel,

Anyone have any input on the front spring rate on the QA1 coilovers? It looks like the factory Sport springs were a progressive 350-400#. It looks like Afco has a 375# spring that would work with the SCP coilovers.