How'd you get your MN12?

As a side note growing up my parents bought a 79 Trans Am, that they still have. I have really enjoyed driving that car, my Cougar reminds me of it so much in the performance and the way they handle. These are really a great car, I love and hate that there is such a small following of them.

My Dad had the same comment when he drove my Cougar; that it reminded him of his 78 Trans Am.

I found the pics of the 74 I almost bought in the bowels of my photobucket page btw, this was the actual car, it looked both better and worse in person :rofl:

myalmost74.jpgmyalmost74cougar.jpg

In High School my buddy had a 75 Torino. Pretty much the same car. We had a lot of fun in it. It rusted away eventually.

In High School my buddy had a 75 Torino. Pretty much the same car. We had a lot of fun in it. It rusted away eventually.

Seems to be the plight of that generation body, or 70s era Fords in general. I always liked the coke bottle lines of all of those, be it Torino, Montego Cougar or Elite, I spotted that Cougar not that long after I saw Starsky and Hutch in the theatre, it had the same shape, wheels and stance!

A guy in my neighborhood had a starsky and huch torino in the 70's; it was a hell of a car.

A guy in my neighborhood had a starsky and huch torino in the 70's; it was a hell of a car.

It's amazing how many of them are out there. I think there's a national club of them. I've seen close to a dozen of them at the Carlisle All Ford meet over the years.

There was a limited ed released, 1400 or so cars. My neighbors was 429 cobra swapped, which was from an even rarer version.

There was a limited ed released, 1400 or so cars. My neighbors was 429 cobra swapped, which was from an even rarer version.

You could get the 460 in them, that was the step up from the 400. 429s ended in the Torino line after 1973

I think his was the last model year, 76. It was a badass car. As a kid we had a big debate going on the Dodge 440, and the cobrajet. Our neighborhood was pretty cool back then.

A total babe I knew in the 80's had a black one, and it was bad as hell. She unfortunately ran it thru a T intersection, into a moutain, over 100mph. I heard the speedo was broke at 140, but I'm pretty sure those didn't read that high. My 1980 gs750's only read 85 , lol.
I told a trooper once that I couldn't have been going 120, because "that little peg kept it from going any faster". All it got me was a sobriety check Before he wrote the ticket, lol.
When I eventually repaint Lazarus, I'm going to put a Blue fireBird emblem in the middle of the hood. :)

HEH. Not sure how, but you would fool many

He's had that car since '78, though he always wished he could have gotten a 67. At one point in the mid-late 90s he was tweaking the carb as it idled; it sprung a fuel leak and the top end and hood went up in flames. Fortunately my older brother was nearby watering some plants with the garden hose; it took a lot of water to extinguish, but it was out by the time the fire department arrived. He repainted the hood emblem by hand because he didn't want to pay for the decal. :beek:

I can't count the number of times he's fidgeted with the engine though, it's actually not the stock engine or anything like it. I think it's a 455 block with a 428 crank and worked-over heads and such. I need to buy him a few dyno pulls for his birthday next year. :)

A total babe I knew in the 80's had a black one, and it was bad as hell. She unfortunately ran it thru a T intersection, into a moutain, over 100mph. I heard the speedo was broke at 140, but I'm pretty sure those didn't read that high. My 1980 gs750's only read 85 , lol.
I told a trooper once that I couldn't have been going 120, because "that little peg kept it from going any faster". All it got me was a sobriety check Before he wrote the ticket, lol.
When I eventually repaint Lazarus, I'm going to put a Blue fireBird emblem in the middle of the hood.

I'm sure the speedo in his isn't stock, but this is his setup...
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
He's had that car since '78, though he always wished he could have gotten a 67. At one point in the mid-late 90s he was tweaking the carb as it idled; it sprung a fuel leak and the top end and hood went up in flames. Fortunately my older brother was nearby watering some plants with the garden hose; it took a lot of water to extinguish, but it was out by the time the fire department arrived. He repainted the hood emblem by hand because he didn't want to pay for the decal. :beek:

I can't count the number of times he's fidgeted with the engine though, it's actually not the stock engine or anything like it. I think it's a 455 block with a 428 crank and worked-over heads and such. I need to buy him a few dyno pulls for his birthday next year. :)

View attachment 2055

67s never had a dash that sexy, I've always been a gen 2 guy partly for that reason alone. My Dad's was a 78 403/auto car with T tops, blue with a Blue with a blue bird.

You know, it could be stock. The speedo fuckage didn't start until 80 on the bikes; I just remember it was Carter that did it. looking it up it was the 79 model year, so that ones older, or aftermarket.

76s had a 100mph speedometer with kp/h, that one's probably from an earlier one.

Sally Field thought they were going 110 lol

View attachment 2055
Can't go wrong with the Disco Tape Dashboard!

View attachment 2055

Black n gold is cool, but very overplayed.

Black n gold is cool, but very overplayed.

I used to like it, but if I never saw one in that combo again I'd be ok, the only black TAs that turn my head now are the ones with the redbird like your parents, that looks way cooler than the burtmobile

1700175017034.png

Birdcats really NSFW today..

Theres a high/risk reward for yellow vehicles. No problem there

A different buddy had a white one with a blue bird; it was amazing in the sun! We took it to Panama city Beach one year. I got off the t-top, into the bed of a pickup truck, pulled off and got gas and beer, then got back in the firebird with the beer. At 80, lol. I got asked about that later; it was apparently all over the cb chatter, lol. "I can neither confirm or deny that." , which was a popular Reagan quote at the time, lol.

Birdcats really NSFW today..

Theres a high/risk reward for yellow vehicles. No problem there

On topic, the very first issue of MM&FF magazine I got, which I was age 12, was the below mag featuring this Yellow bird. That issue and that mag's occasional featuring of MN12s was formative in putting them on my radar

1700175664809.png

Nice! Did that belong to anyone we know?
They weren't on my radar until alan and darrin had that article.

Nice! Did that belong to anyone we know?
They weren't on my radar until alan and darrin had that article.
I'm fairly certain he was on the original iteration of BirdCats, I remember at least one of the guys going way back mentioning him and that car, though it might have been Bill. I always hoped I'd bump into him on the forums back in the day to pay respect but never saw him, or let alone knew his screenname.

Some of the most hellacious cars came in that color; Cougars, mopars, mustangs, and firebirds. There was a similar purple that was excellent too.