New Engine Swap Ideas

While I agree, I still have to consider cost. If money wasn't an object I'd be running an aluminum 427 Ford dart block.

If I can find an aluminum 6.0/6.2 that's not dumb in price, trust me I will run it.

If an iron variant comes across and it's a good enough deal, I will probably run it.

In the mean time, I'm looking at a few different avenues. Even Ecoboost 3.5s or 3.7s and adding turbo kits.

But total cost does play a role.

Trust me I'm a cheap ass, like you said it may just be a regional thing but LQ4s I really do find every time I go to my nearest junkyard up to a month ago, same place I actually got my Mach 1 DOHC from (which was $350). I considered buying one just to have one for a while.

A rebuild kit for a chevy 350 is cheap. A rebuild for any 4.6 is 5k. but if you're running them everyday, a 4.6 will last forever, as long as it has oil. :)

I didn't mention current LT variation due to lifter issues, but in reality a cam swap fixes that. The L83 5.3 makes 380hp on E85. Cam, L86 intake and throttle body and you're at 450hp easy.

L86 6.2 would be awesome, but they are more expensive since there are less on the road.

My bil Glen has a 12 second 68 camaro drag car, and the 500cu in engine in it was about$ 6k. That car wouldn't drift worth a fuck, but it was simple to do.That car fucking moves, lol. It takes a beast to move a car hat big!

If I find one I let you know. But all the yards by me charge a grand for V8s. And I haven't been to one that had a gantry. No LKQs or places like that here.

There are four LKQs in Baltimore, and there is Harry's in PA with multiple locations. wegotused dot com

It can't hurt to check their online inventory.

My bigger concern with u-pull junkyards would be that you don't know what parts of the car are still there; and a desirable engine probably won't last long.

I just rolled a jinormous joint; out of some homegrown I got cheap; I found Big Bambu papers on the web. :) A buddy bought a box in the 70's and we used multiple papers to foll Cheech and Chong joints for parties. We did a footlong loint, that got a vial of opium oil over it, after some serious Tequila shots.

This was my last post last night; I passed out before I hit post, lol. Joint was nice, lol!

No, I'm still working on it, lol. It's too hot to be outside. I went to the pool for a bit, but damn!

I just rolled a jinormous joint; out of some homegrown I got cheap; I found Big Bambu papers on the web. :) A buddy bought a box in the 70's and we used multiple papers to foll Cheech and Chong joints for parties. We did a footlong loint, that got a vial of opium oil over it, after some serious Tequila shots.

This was my last post last night; I passed out before I hit post, lol. Joint was nice, lol!

1720571031497.gif

Passed on the engine. Wasn't a cam/lifter issue like I was hoping. Oil pump failed and smoked all the internals.

Edit: wtf did I come back to lmao

Last edited:
Guys, I have to say; weed is much better than opioids for pain relief. I'm not a zombie now, unlike the first couple of years after my stroke.

I hated opioids, I was on a slurry of them through my kidney shit and it just fucked up my backside habits is an really bad way. I turned back to alcohol mostly because my urologist said binge drinking usually gets hydronephrosis discovered at a younger age than I am. I’m testing my fix, you see! 🙃

Passed on the engine. Wasn't a cam/lifter issue like I was hoping. Oil pump failed and smoked all the internals.

Edit: wtf did I come back to lmao

You’ll know when you hit exactly 30, all the bullshit your body’d been hiding in your 20s will come back to literally kill you! :rofl:

That’s kinda what I expected at that cheap. That’s where I favor the junkyard van 6.0. They may be tired but at worst they just need rings, hone and bearings most of the time. Gouged crankshaft journals and out of round cylinders not so much. Anything that new that cheap I expect abuse not cheaply/easily remedied.

I hated opioids, I was on a slurry of them through my kidney shit and it just fucked up my backside habits is an really bad way. I turned back to alcohol mostly because my urologist said binge drinking usually gets hydronephrosis discovered at a younger age than I am. I’m testing my fix, you see! 🙃

You’ll know when you hit exactly 30, all the bullshit your body’d been hiding in your 20s will come back to literally kill you! :rofl:

That’s kinda what I expected at that cheap. That’s where I favor the junkyard van 6.0. They may be tired but at worst they just need rings, hone and bearings most of the time. Gouged crankshaft journals and out of round cylinders not so much. Anything that new that cheap I expect abuse not cheaply/easily remedied.
I had it in the back of my mind. But it being local and that cheap I wanted to to at least see.

The unfortunate fact is that everything has gone up. I'll keep looking around, but I'll start looking at different routes to keep the 302 or will go with the 4.6.

I have until the winter to figure something out. That's when the car is going under the knife for a true V2 build. Cage, full rewire, ect.

I was planning on building a whole other car, but finding these cars cheap is difficult now. All half way decent ones by me are $4k and even rot boxes are $2k. I've started looking at as far as Arizona and still guys want $2k or more out there, with considering travel/shipping I might as well get the expensive ones out here.

Whole thing is a mess right now.

I had it in the back of my mind. But it being local and that cheap I wanted to to at least see.

The unfortunate fact is that everything has gone up. I'll keep looking around, but I'll start looking at different routes to keep the 302 or will go with the 4.6.

I have until the winter to figure something out. That's when the car is going under the knife for a true V2 build. Cage, full rewire, ect.

I was planning on building a whole other car, but finding these cars cheap is difficult now. All half way decent ones by me are $4k and even rot boxes are $2k. I've started looking at as far as Arizona and still guys want $2k or more out there, with considering travel/shipping I might as well get the expensive ones out here.

Whole thing is a mess right now.

Your chassis fixes for the purpose of the car are perfect, I’d never consider anything other than another engine swap if I were in your shoes.

Don’t get discouraged, it’s a long time til winter, something fitting your criteria will show up. If not it will after you regret it

Up until recently I had a friend who worked for the state of Nevada. He was able to aquire state vehicles as they went out of service. They had many 6.0 vans. We picked up a 6.0 with the harness and computer AND the 4l80e for $1000 a couple years ago. Sadly he just left the job and moved.

Not a practical or helpful idea at all but if you're doing blasphemy really go big. Barra swap it lol Or the 1jz or 2jz.

Just be careful! Tennessee has some of the harshest penalties in the nation for cannabis, especially for cultivation.

https://norml.org/laws/tennessee-penalties-2/
Having spent enough time where it's legal, I'm good with not walking outside and getting blasted in the face with the smell. I've got nothing against it or those who partake, but the smell repulses me to the point of vomiting.

Not a practical or helpful idea at all but if you're doing blasphemy really go big. Barra swap it lol Or the 1jz or 2jz.
Barra swap would be epic. Instant party mode.

I'm partial to the 4.6; I've had the least trouble out of it than any other engine I've had. The 390 's and 289's, and 5.0's in my life all died before 100k mies; I just broke Lazarus after 550k Very hard miles, most over the speed limit, or pulling serious lateral G's, lol. Sometimes both, at the same time. :)

WEC, there are tons of yards here with cheap engines; 4.6's are going at $500, that's cheap enough to ship. You do have to have a loading dock to unload it.