New Engine Swap Ideas

WEC, there are tons of yards here with cheap engines; 4.6's are going at $500, that's cheap enough to ship. You do have to have a loading dock to unload it.
Last time I looked at shipping an engine it was 2k. And that was years ago.

There are four LKQs in Baltimore, and there is Harry's in PA with multiple locations. wegotused dot com

It can't hurt to check their online inventory.

My bigger concern with u-pull junkyards would be that you don't know what parts of the car are still there; and a desirable engine probably won't last long.

Don't know about out there but the LKQs here post pics of the new cars that come in, interior, exterior, engine bay. I'm linked to like 3 of them closest to me and my PYP Garage has a number of cars listed with years for them to alert me when new ones come in. Of course some of their employees are blind, how can pics be out of focus or aimed at nothing useful? That doesn't happen too often, though.

I'd love for a goddamn SC or XR-7 to show up with a fold-down rear seat, is that too much to ask?!? I don't think I've ever seen either of those in there, ever, though back then I wasn't really on the lookout like now.

I use car-part.com. Always good to have more links, tho. thx!

Thoughts on an LV3 (all aluminum, LS based 4.3 V6) swap? Make the car a proper SC again?

EcoBoost it. :rofl:

Didn't know what they have for available parts. The prior 4.3 was 3/4 of a 350, so tons of aftermarket support, but expensive.

Anyone ever make a nasty 300 inline Ford?

Didn't know what they have for available parts. The prior 4.3 was 3/4 of a 350, so tons of aftermarket support, but expensive.

Anyone ever make a nasty 300 inline Ford?
Yup, using a couple LS heads welded together lol

The 300-6 is heavy, with a long stroke…not ideal for high-rpms in a race car, even with LS heads. The V6 LS I just don’t get the point…it’s probably cheaper to just get the V8 and have more power and more aftermarket support.

Starting this back up.

I recently got a build quote for an LQ4/T56 combo. $9600 in parts, and I would have an expected power output of 450crank.

This includes the wiring and computer, oil pan, headers, a high rise intake (obviously), a rebuild of the T56, and an aluminum flywheel/clutch kit.

May go this route but will keep looking at options.

Starting this back up.

I recently got a build quote for an LQ4/T56 combo. $9600 in parts, and I would have an expected power output of 450crank.

This includes the wiring and computer, oil pan, headers, a high rise intake (obviously), a rebuild of the T56, and an aluminum flywheel/clutch kit.

May go this route but will keep looking at options.
If I were to do this, I'd freshen up the motor myself, add 843/799 heads and a cam/spring kit. Then a Trailblazer SS intake and nice 90+ mm throttle body.

That would easily make that 450, and you could always move up to LS3 heads, Holley intake, bigger cam and be at 550hp.

But, before u do all of that, have you checked out any of those places that sell a whole Camaro/hellcat/mustang chassis? I haven't seen them recently, but used to all of the time.

Something like this, but I used to see them with the car basically gone and just the front and rear suspension, engine, trans and chassis on a pallet. No idea what they cost, but you could sell additional parts you didn't use to recoup some funds. Plus the engine and trans could be ready to go.

You have to keep in mind my location. I'm in Jersey. Screenshot_20241017-225018.pngScreenshot_20241017-225119.png
Just getting the engine is expensive. The transmission is typically $4k on its own.

And TBSS intakes cost more than fabricated intakes out here, when they are available.

In terms of a whole parts car, I would do that if I had the room to hold it. But I don't.

If I had it my way I'd swap it for a 427 aluminum dart. But $9k would be just the block.

Just don’t settle for a boring cliche 5.3. 6.0 or go home, at least that’s a worthwhile budget substitute to a stroker kit on the Windsor.

But this whole LS everything business has made the hobby so fucking boring. It’s not even a good looking engine like the old cliche SBCs. Be original, put a gen III hemi in there, hell put a 5.9 magnum in there, you’ve got a doner 😆