New Radiator Time

Doxnoogle

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
96 Tbird Lx, PI 4.6
Country flag
Last couple years I've noticed the bird seems to gradually be running warmer. Hasn't been too much of an issue, no overheating, ac works etc, until today. Warmest day so far I've driven to work and while it didn't overheat cruising 65 it kicked on the check gauges light, by time I got through town to work the gauge was riding the end of normal. Fan pulling strong, radiator is warm, not hot, top hose is blistering hot. Coolant, pump and fan are only a couple years old, I guess the original 280k radiator is just clogged up inside. Not spending 3,4,500 dollars on a radiator. Rock auto shows 5 different radiators with 5 different prices, all with the same 1551 pn. Just wondering if anyone used any of these and if there's any reason to not go for the ultra power. Oriellys carries a Murray for $170, but don't know anything about it.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_b805b969-539a-415a-8bc0-ddf2b59cfbe6.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_b805b969-539a-415a-8bc0-ddf2b59cfbe6.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I was using a Silla radiator on the 97 - factory replacement, plastic side tanks like the OEM design - before I put the Fluidyne in. When I upgraded, I moved the SIlla to the Mark VIII to replace its slightly seeping OG. Still works fine; no leaks or overheating. It must be 15 years old now.

I like that all aluminum, the plastic upper heater hose nipple is where mine failed at.

I use TYC and Spectra all the time at the shop, and have never had any issues with either of those brands. If this is just a mostly stock daily driver type car, I would just get the TYC for $106 and call it good.

I've used both the Oreilly and Autozone radiators in several cars with no failures. And lifetime warranty.

There's a replacement on summit for $125.

I put in a misimito 3 pass cobra aluminum rad n the red car. It required reshaping the radiator 'box' with a dremel tool.

You can use the lower mustang hose, with a mod. That keeps you from stretching the tbird hose 1/4".

I put a Spectra in the '97 a few years ago. Fit was good and I believe it was actually made in Canuckistan as opposed to China or India so that was nice too.

I like that all aluminum, the plastic upper heater hose nipple is where mine failed at.

Ya, my original Thunderbird (Gneisenau) had that crap plastic tank OEM radiator and one day the goddamn overflow tube/nipple decided to call it a life and broke off. So I've got lots of steam coming out, I pull over, pop the hood and look, I initially can't tell what's going on because both radiator hoses look fine. And I can't figure out why steam is coming from that corner area. Until I see the loose hanging overflow tube with a bit of black plastic in it. Great.

I didn't have time to research so I got a stock size replacement that was all aluminum. That worked out great. Then I hydroplaned the car into a freeway retaining wall, time for Thunderbird #2 (Scharnhorst). This time I got one of those Griffin radiators, since then the temp almost never reaches the middle of the gauge, even on hot days.

See this thread for another option.

I'm running the Autozone one. Been running from about 2018 and about 90k miles no issues. I did by-pass the cooling tank for transmission w/ (2) coolers in series.